Author Topic: Poll: HO's  (Read 629 times)

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
Poll: HO's
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2003, 09:26:24 AM »
Devious wrote...

Any hints on getting out of the way of a Spit/N1K/Lala in a 110/190 ? I try to break low, but they JUST KEEP PULLING and collide...

Two words:  Barrel roll.  A fairly tight one.  They can't hit you if you barrel roll.  Once past him, reverse if you can, or go nose low to zero gees and accelerate to get outa dodge.

If you see him far enough out, go for horizontal or vertical separation in order to get maneuvering room.  A common mistake I have made is to go nose on the bandit--that invites HOs and gives away the separation advantage.

Nose down is the book method of getting into a head on.  You nose down to get below the guy, then pull up and get the high-angle deflection shot.  If you nose down to avoid, he just puts his nose lower to compensate.  A split ess gives him a shot at your belly.  Looping up or an immelman does the same thing.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2003, 09:36:15 AM »
If my guns are bigger, I'll embrace the HO if the idiot is dumb enough to charge me.

Otherwise I'll chandelle up a bit and set them up for a snapshot after they pass by.

Offline udet

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.angelfire.com/nd/mihaipruna/dogfight.html
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2003, 10:38:54 AM »
Most of my kills are HO. No skills, just luck and bigger guns.

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2003, 11:06:29 AM »
Like 'em...  But only if it's a good rate ;).

Oh, and the shot cards have to be current!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2003, 11:08:44 AM by Zippatuh »

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2003, 11:46:47 AM »
but they JUST KEEP PULLING and collide...

stop doing the same thing over and over and that won't happen over and over.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2003, 12:25:24 PM »
Devious wrote...

Any hints on getting out of the way of a Spit/N1K/Lala in a 110/190 ? I try to break low, but they JUST KEEP PULLING and collide...

TW9 answers:

try breaking anywhere but low.. And wherever u break dont give them the whole top or bottom side of ur plane to shoot at.. The bigger the target the more likely they'll hit something..

rshubert answers:

Two words: Barrel roll. A fairly tight one. They can't hit you if you barrel roll. Once past him, reverse if you can, or go nose low to zero gees and accelerate to get outa dodge.

If you see him far enough out, go for horizontal or vertical separation in order to get maneuvering room. A common mistake I have made is to go nose on the bandit--that invites HOs and gives away the separation advantage.

moot blathers:
stop doing the same thing over and over and that won't happen over and over.

Back to answers though ....

Your rudder is your friend in a head on attack. Combine a slight dip with some extreme right or left rudder and slip by them. Works 90% of the time. Make sure you already have a slight "nose off" approach in the direction you plan to slip. The slight dip is for additional "insurance". Be prepared to pull around in the opposite direction the moment he passes.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2003, 12:47:30 PM »
I'd be pretty pissed if Arlo was my trainer.

you can list as many working examples as possible, but there will still only be one generic solution to one given generic problem.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2003, 12:54:24 PM »
Look .... moot offers HIS answer to dealing with HOs! No ... wait ... false alarm. ;)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2003, 12:59:34 PM »
just get out of the way with the right timing.. it's not that complicated.
it really depends on what you plan to do after you've evaded and he hasn't said anything about that, only that the same thing keeps happening, so unless there is some freak repetition of same effect by different causes, it's likely the same thing is happening over and over, leading to the same result over and over.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2003, 01:00:45 PM »
What Shane said.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2003, 05:00:20 PM »
Originally posted by moot
just get out of the way with the right timing.. it's not that complicated.
it really depends on what you plan to do after you've evaded and he hasn't said anything about that, only that the same thing keeps happening, so unless there is some freak repetition of same effect by different causes, it's likely the same thing is happening over and over, leading to the same result over and over.

You'd be pissed if I was your trainer? ROFL

Trainee: Moot, explain what a merge is and what can I do to gain an advantage right off the bat?

Moot: A merge is when you first start what your gonna do and you better do it better than the other guy by being faster and doing it better or you'll get shot down. And if you keep doing it wrong, you'll keep getting shot down so don't do it the same way you did it if you got shot down doing it. Got that? You're welcome.

:D