Author Topic: Damage list (Ctrl+D)  (Read 410 times)

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
Damage list (Ctrl+D)
« on: May 18, 2003, 12:28:05 PM »
I like to suggest to disable the damage list when flying and to enable it only when on the ground (i.e. landed / ditched) - at least for fighters/attackers.

Why? So far as i know (and thats not much) in real live a pilot could only tell what damages his plane had from his instruments, his visual impressions and his own feelings (p.e. pilot wounded).
Cause I like realism I would like to get rid of the damaglist. Its much more immersive if u have to find out where this strange damage noise came from instead of simply pressing Ctrl+D

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Damage list (Ctrl+D)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2003, 01:01:12 PM »
This is an option you can use, or not use based on personal preference.  If a person wants to guess what damage is done to his aircraft, they do not need to use Ctrl-D.  If a person wants to know what's wrong, they can use Ctrl-D.  I don't think this gives anyone much of an advantage.  I don't see how taking it away adds anything to the game.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline SixxGunn

• Copper Member
Re: Damage list (Ctrl+D)
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2003, 05:20:23 PM »
Originally posted by Duedel
I like to suggest to disable the damage list when flying and to enable it only when on the ground (i.e. landed / ditched) - at least for fighters/attackers.

Why? So far as i know (and thats not much) in real live a pilot could only tell what damages his plane had from his instruments, his visual impressions and his own feelings (p.e. pilot wounded).
Cause I like realism I would like to get rid of the damaglist. Its much more immersive if u have to find out where this strange damage noise came from instead of simply pressing Ctrl+D

Thats just it you have no feelings as to personal injury.

More important than that you have no feel for a virtual aircraft at all. Your controls dont FEEL heavy or the stick doesnt FEEL loose or sloppy when control surfaces are damaged.

In RL as you say a pilot would know almost exactly what was damaged on his plane just by the FEEL.

The damage list is alot like the icon debate that goes on. Until I can FEEL my planes response in my joystick on my desk a damge list helps fill the gap.

Until they invent a graphics card that can render in detail what my EYES can see icons will fill that void as well.

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
Damage list (Ctrl+D)
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 12:15:28 AM »
My astrodroid tells me whats wrong.
Though he squeakes too much.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Damage list (Ctrl+D)
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 09:57:02 AM »
Rofl pooh!!:D

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Damage list (Ctrl+D)
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2003, 11:38:52 AM »
Originally posted by SixxGunn

More important than that you have no feel for a virtual aircraft at all. Your controls dont FEEL heavy or the stick doesnt FEEL loose or sloppy when control surfaces are damaged.

i disagree, i can tell by the way the A/C handles if i have damage. if you fly same plane long enough, you can tell when something is wrong. a quick look out windows will show damage or smoke.

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Damage list (Ctrl+D)
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2003, 03:14:40 PM »
i dunno.  I think we would need force feedback rudders, as well as a realistic forcefeedback stick to FEEL what is wrong with the aircraft.  I think HTC does an escellent job in aircraft modleing, but i dont know if they model in dmagae feel consistantly enuff to argue for disabling the damage readout.

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
Damage list (Ctrl+D)
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2003, 03:01:41 AM »
My R2 Unit repairs it all usually.
Freeze

Offline stegor

• Nickel Member
Damage list (Ctrl+D)
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2003, 07:55:36 AM »
How can you have the feeling of damage when your plane, (ex. N1k2)  is hit in the radiator  and smoking black ( so he il leaking oil) but can still fly for about 5 min without having any loss of power??
Cant have this feelings if those effects arent  properly modeled
can we hope in AH2??
Nibbio
4° Stormo C.T. "F. Baracca"

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
Re: Re: Re: Damage list (Ctrl+D)
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2003, 11:01:44 AM »
Originally posted by john9001
i disagree, i can tell by the way the A/C handles if i have damage. if you fly same plane long enough, you can tell when something is wrong. a quick look out windows will show damage or smoke.

I don't believe you speak for a majority of the members of the game.

This is a non-issue.

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
Damage list (Ctrl+D)
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2003, 04:05:50 PM »
Uhm u cant tell whats wrong with ur plane when ur missing an elevator, an aileron ...? I dont believe it. AH models the damage that could happen to ur plane.
But maybe i should have posted this into the AH2 forum cause our damage model is very simple at the moment.
The Ctrl+D thing is IMHO an unrealsistic option and therefore I dont want it for AH2.
There is a great article about a pilot who was flying a damaged P47 back to his airbase. He was very busy with examining whats wrong with his plane cause he couldnt hit Ctrl+D. ;)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Damage list (Ctrl+D)
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2003, 11:03:28 PM »
Some damages you can't see in this game, you would see in/from the real cockpit. In this case is necessary the damage list.

You might not realize there is a missing flap, but you've got some flight training to do if you don't recognize a missing rudder or propeller...
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
Damage list (Ctrl+D)
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2003, 11:15:51 PM »
Uhm u cant tell whats wrong with ur plane when ur missing an elevator, an aileron ...? I dont believe it.

You CAN tell in real life if your plane has a damaged aileron/elevator/rudder/flap.

If we have things wrong with the plane in real life we go through a "controllability check".  This helps us know how the plane will fly during all phases of flight.

Ctrl D is a nice tool if you elect to use it.  If you dont like it you dont have to use it.

I also agree that if you have damage you will be lookin ALL over the place to see whats wrong (reference the p47 quote).

My 2 cents....

Offline BNM

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.christian3x3.com/
Damage list (Ctrl+D)
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2003, 11:26:14 PM »
Agree with gunner. If you want more 'immersion' don't use it.