Author Topic: How many of you use padlock now that we have it?  (Read 1208 times)

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
How many of you use padlock now that we have it?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2003, 05:17:02 AM »
I don't use the actual padlock, but sometimes I use the feature that comes with it where you can highligt (put a box around to be precise) an enemy. I remapped the key, so i can't remember it's default.

When fighting more of one type it is helpful for me to easily be able to tell them apart, especially when I feel that there is a big skill difference between them.
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2003, 05:21:09 AM »
Never use it no idea how to turn it on. I just use my hat. And intuition as to where the enemy is. I use it all the time in Il-2 case of the funky views in there.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2003, 05:37:37 AM »
Originally posted by LLv34_Snefens
I don't use the actual padlock, but sometimes I use the feature that comes with it where you can highligt (put a box around to be precise) an enemy. I remapped the key, so i can't remember it's default.

When fighting more of one type it is helpful for me to easily be able to tell them apart, especially when I feel that there is a big skill difference between them.

I use the targeting feature too without using the padlock view for pretty much the same reason as you.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2003, 07:50:38 AM »
I think two times my baby whacked my keyboard and turned on padlock, I couldn't figure out WTF was going on.  Other than that, never tried it.

eskimo

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2003, 08:22:20 AM »
Ahh Schadenfreude...another Fighter Ace convert. I think I remember your ID popping up when LJK (old squadron I with) jumped ship and headed over here. Anyway, I use padlock much the same way as I Ack-Ack and Snefens do. Although I don't find that my Situational Awareness (SA for the newbies) drops off any. After coming from FA myself I think I developed a bit of intuition about when a bandit is moving in on me and I can break away to save myself. Also I tend to only use Padlock when I have buddies around helping cover the areas that I normally would loose immediate sight of in a fight anyway. So for me padlock = no change in how I scan the sky around me.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline devious

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301-wildesau.de
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2003, 08:26:23 AM »
I tried it, but it disorients me and you have to padlock again when the target gets out of view - and then you don`t know which of the 3 N1Ks to padlock
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I use snap views combined with a seldom used mouse panning view.

I even dont use padlock in F15 Strike Eagle III ;)

Offline Tabasco

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2003, 09:09:21 AM »
Padlock was nice for viewing films before head positions were recorded.  In combat it's very disorienting for me - I lose track of my plane's attitude.

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2003, 11:04:02 AM »
Originally posted by devious
I tried it, but it disorients me and you have to padlock again when the target gets out of view - and then you don`t know which of the 3 N1Ks to padlock
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I use snap views combined with a seldom used mouse panning view.

I even dont use padlock in F15 Strike Eagle III ;)

How do you use mouse panning view - which is the default key to get the mouse working?

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2003, 11:06:10 AM »
Originally posted by Reschke
Ahh Schadenfreude...another Fighter Ace convert. I think I remember your ID popping up when LJK (old squadron I with) jumped ship and headed over here. Anyway, I use padlock much the same way as I Ack-Ack and Snefens do. Although I don't find that my Situational Awareness (SA for the newbies) drops off any. After coming from FA myself I think I developed a bit of intuition about when a bandit is moving in on me and I can break away to save myself. Also I tend to only use Padlock when I have buddies around helping cover the areas that I normally would loose immediate sight of in a fight anyway. So for me padlock = no change in how I scan the sky around me.

Yep lots of grumpy unhappy people in the higher levels of FA right now - lots of rumours before the last patch that things would change to a more realistic FM but last time I looked the big argument was that the arcade level wasn't easy enough....sigh, anyway am enjoying AH - just needs some more planes and a bit of a graphics tweak.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2003, 11:54:47 AM »
Off thread topic and I apologize for this...but Schadenfreude they have been "saying" for a long time that they were making the flight model more realistic but the arcade crowd (which is larger) always screams and cries about that so they break it down to the lower end. In reality they have admitted way back in closed beta that they built the flight model to be arcadish then added in variables to make it "realistic". I have come to the realization that the former builders under M$/VR-1 now VR-1/Jaleco (same basic group) don't want to have a realistic game and if that suits them to have just a few people on the servers all the time then so be it it's there game.

My single voice was to start off in advanced/realistic mode and dumb it down once you have the flight model correct but of course my reasoning was drowned out and I eventually quit flying in beta. But I still have a sub for my oldest son (6.5 y/o) to fly there since he spins out all the time in AH.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2003, 12:27:32 PM »
What?  there is more than Straight ahead veiw??  ;)
I dont use padlock,  I prefer snap views.

I do know of 1 AH Pilot that uses Padlock for sure.  

The reason he uses it, it because he has some disabilites that dont allow him to use a Hat for views.   The Padlock feature is very nice for someone in his situation.

I know when it was first introduced, lots of folks whined about the unfair advantages it would give.   This has not proved to be true.    

What I have seen is AH become more playable and more enjoyable for players with handicaps.

Thank you  HT for adding this feature.

Offline devious

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301-wildesau.de
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2003, 12:39:02 PM »
Originally posted by _Schadenfreude_
How do you use mouse panning view - which is the default key to get the mouse working?

Go to setup and find "pan view". Map it to mouse axis. In flight, leave mouse alone or readjust by "aiming" straight forward.

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2003, 12:49:14 PM »
Originally posted by devious
Go to setup and find "pan view". Map it to mouse axis. In flight, leave mouse alone or readjust by "aiming" straight forward.

Found Pan view as F8 but what do you mean by "Map it to mouse axis" - does this happen under keyboard or j/stick setup?

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2003, 07:55:01 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
Holy poop AKAK

Thank you Steve. In real quiet moments when I go "inside" myself, I find what I see in the mirror is..well..

Gooey..

Ouch, where ya been ??  Email me nopoops190@worldnet.att.net
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline wipass

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.secestimating.com
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2003, 08:37:17 AM »
Padlock view  ?

Targeting ?

wtf

If anyone uses any of these crutches their icon should be altered to show it as so.

They have no place in a sim, save for the instance mentioned above as regards any disability.

I bet some one admits to using combat trim also !

wipass