Author Topic: Hog Advice  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Yorba

• Zinc Member
Hog Advice
« on: June 22, 2003, 09:24:38 PM »
Ok I have decided to adopt the F4U line of planes.  I think it will finally satisfy Me as it can be used in fun ops off of carriers and has good ENY planes along with fun perk planes.  So anyways, I was hoping some guys that fly the Big Blue well could throw some advice and tips My way.  I've flown the jug so I am pretty sure i can carry over most ACM's, and I already learned one gem that the gear can deploy up to 400...Are there any other good tips out there?...Also, what can you hang your hat on and say that the F4U does WELL or better than the rest...In a co-E merge what do you do against a spit, pony, la?...finally, are there things that the 1 model can do better air to air then the D, or is it simply easier to handle and better for learning?  Thanks!

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Hog Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2003, 09:34:38 PM »
The one thing the F4U's really excel at is slowing down.  Combat flaps and using the landing gear as speedbreaks sometimes will help you get inside a more maneuverable opponents turn and get a shot off.

I personalyl like the F4U-1, it's slightly faster than the C/D and carries more fuel.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Hog Advice
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 08:40:50 AM »
Ditto on the F4U-1.  At high alts (20k+), its faster than the -1D in level flight.  The downside to the -1 is its tendency to wing over when it stalls, but you can allow for that by burning your tanks asymmetrically - just keep your left wing tank a bit heavier than your right.  Another downside to the -1 is that it lacks provisions for rockets and is really more of an air-to-air fighter than a air-to-ground fighter bomber.

It also helps to use my MudFlapGirl-Gunsightv3.  I don't know why, but the flights seem a lot less tedious with that gunsight. :D

Offline 2Hawks

• Nickel Member
      • http://daniel.clanbaker.com
So where...
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 02:53:39 PM »
DO we get your mudflap sight? :)

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Hog Advice
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 04:07:57 PM »
There was a discussion recently in this forum on the F4U-1 (something about perk values) so you might try and check that thread.  One thing I might add, really check your fuel load on the F4U-1, it has massive endurance on internal fuel (like twice that of the other Hogs).  Endurance on full internal is something like 43 minutes, way more than enough for 99% of sorties.  Taking 50 % and a drop tank (18 minutes worth) gives a lighter plane for combat.

Also, at only 2K of alt the F4U-1 can cruise at 355mph which is very respectable.  Just don't plan on trying to accelerate to that speed with someone behind you, the acceleration rate is very poor.

-Soda
Aces High Trainer Corps.
The Assassins.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Hog Advice
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2003, 07:23:34 PM »
I recall, and I'm probably wrong, reading you should burn the left tank down some, which I've been doing. Maybe thats why the -1 has been fighting me as much as the enemy has been lately.
Any clarificaton, right or left tank heavier?

fuzeman
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline HeLLcAt

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/xiZm04
Hog Advice
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2003, 09:45:21 PM »
E-mail me (lmpbzktsk82004@sbcglobal.net). I have a lot of great stuff to say past what I say here. First off the F4U is by far one of the funnest planes to fly and by far one of my favorites. If you learned how to keep your E well in a P47, than the F4U is your plane. The F4U accelerates faster level and turns a lot better. The F4U-1D and -1's are your best rides. The D gives you incredible visibility except for the back view and is slightly slower and less maneuverable than the -1, but it is still very manueverable. -1 is faster and more maneverable. But you should work on reversals and keeping up your E to not stall it. Email me if you need work on this. Try to boom and zoom as much as you can, the F4U rarely loses E and don't zoom up 2 quickly or your E goes bye bye. The hardest planes to kill are La's, and yak's probably. You have to keep your E up as much as you can when you fight these planes. Well I can't stress enough E management. Fuel in the -1 I usually take up 75% for a normal flight and in the -1D 50 and 2 DT's, drop when you are in a real danger. Email me if you would like...my email is above. I kinda have my own training "company" I guess you would call it.

Offline Yorba

• Zinc Member
Hog Advice
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2003, 11:30:16 PM »
Thanks guys...

Gofaster - excellent tip on the wing tanks, I haven't heard that before...so burn the right tank a bit on takeoff?...Also, you must please the masses and post the mudflap girl gunsight (or can i just save your av as it?)

Hellcat - unfortunately I work 2nd shift and am not home till about midnight eastern each weeknight.  I'd love to hear more advice though, My e-mail is dhawkins62@comcast.net.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Hog Advice
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2003, 01:51:42 AM »
The downside to the -1 is its tendency to wing over when it stalls, but you can allow for that by burning your tanks asymmetrically - just keep your left wing tank a bit heavier than your right.

the hog wings over to the LEFT when you stall - doesn't that mean that you should keep the RIGHT wing heavier?

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
Hog Advice
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2003, 08:51:28 AM »
Originally posted by HeLLcAt
If you learned how to keep your E well in a P47, than the F4U is your plane. The F4U accelerates faster level and turns a lot better.

on one of my sorties in the F4u-1d i saw a jug a bit low of me
i was sure i have a much batter turn rate then the jug and we where aone so i said what the heck and started turning with the jug

in the next minut or so the jug manneged to outturn me and kill
i was pretty shocked

couple of weeks later, i take off with a jug and about 1 minute later i get bounced by a F4u, im starting to scisor him and turning and this time I won

it seems that the jug actually turns batter then the Hawg

Go figure :rolleyes:

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Re: So where...
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2003, 09:38:33 AM »
Originally posted by 2Hawks
DO we get your mudflap sight? :)

email: nascargofaster@yahoo.com

I'll include version 2, version 3, and a drum loop you can use for GV tread sounds. :)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Hog Advice
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2003, 09:39:25 AM »
Originally posted by bozon
the hog wings over to the LEFT when you stall - doesn't that mean that you should keep the RIGHT wing heavier?

Bozon

Oh, yeah, that's what I meant. :p

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
Hog Advice
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2003, 09:30:35 AM »
Flyboy,

That shouldn't really happen but depending on the loadout the P-47 can get it's weight down enough to be a real pain.

One thing in the F4U is that unless you want to slow down to a crawl only use one notch of flap for best turns. I have tested this and I am sure.

Also the F4U carries a ton of ammo by default. More than the P-47 even with eight guns in fact. So if you don't care about your hit percentage and you want to turn much better shoot off half your ammo when you take off. You won't miss it.

Offline HeLLcAt

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/xiZm04
Hog Advice
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2003, 11:04:14 AM »
F4UDOA you are wrong. If you have 8 guns x either 267 or 450 RPG than you definately have more ammo in the P47. 8 x 267 = 2136, so that's less than the F4U, but if you carry 8 x 450 you get 3400 rounds of ammunition - 1000 more than F4U. But with the ammo w/ 8 x 450 you can barely move and your P47 is like a brick.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Hog Advice
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2003, 11:47:44 AM »
Originally posted by HeLLcAt
But with the ammo w/ 8 x 450 you can barely move and your P47 is like a brick.

Yeah, that's about right, but I can change my aircraft's weight by pickling the drop tank once I get to altitude.  The D-30 still won't handle like a Spitfire, but that's ok.  The Thunderbolt isn't a dainty weapon anyway.