Author Topic: Warbirds?  (Read 795 times)

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
Warbirds?
« on: June 25, 2003, 09:27:16 AM »
Is this game out of business? I just got a copy a few weeks ago with another game and was hopin to give it a spin online. Is there even an online place to go to? I keep hearing that people here are ex wb peeps.:confused:

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Warbirds?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2003, 09:55:39 AM »
As far as I know, its still around, but I think the version you have is out of date.  I think you can d/l the new version for free, but I'm not a "Warbird"-er so I don't know the web site for it.

Offline Sharky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.31stfightergroup.com
Warbirds?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2003, 09:56:11 AM »
Zrooster,

Go to http://www.totalsims.com  Thats the home of Warbirds.  I don't think you'll be to impressed though.  Warbirds is a great sim run by a really hosed up company.  Our own HiTech is the original creator of Warbirds and was the premier flight sim in the day.  It still could be except for complete mismanagement by the current owners.

Sharky

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Warbirds?
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2003, 10:23:02 AM »
peeps = people
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
Warbirds?
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2003, 11:02:03 AM »
lol:D I say peeps allatime.

Shark.....I'll check that out. I just wanted to see what it's like cuz I been playin offline and the graphics are sweet. I like how the planes fly too. Nice an smooth vs the clunky feel I get from AH. I wont be switchin tho any time soon. I like Ah a lot more. I'm just curious about the "other" side. ;)

Offline MoMoney

• Copper Member
Warbirds?
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2003, 11:06:32 AM »
I read a lot about IEN's mismanagement all of the time.  I don't know a thing about WB's. What mismanagement are they talking about?  Any examples ??? Thanks............

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Re: Warbirds?
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2003, 11:51:20 AM »
Originally posted by zroostr
Is this game out of business? I just got a copy a few weeks ago with another game and was hopin to give it a spin online. Is there even an online place to go to? I keep hearing that people here are ex wb peeps.:confused:

Be careful about giving IEN information - I claimed my free month as a returning subscriber when trying to decide between AH and WB3 - they gave me my free month as advertised but when it was up AUTOMATICALLY billed me for another month or tried to - got my cc coy to cancel it and told them to take a running jump - very irritating.

I then got an email offering me three months at 14.95 - obviously desperate for numbers. Also people of their BBB said what ever you do don't take out a 6 month offer as it is felt that the wheels are about to fall off. Most I saw online was about 20 people.

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
Warbirds?
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2003, 11:57:38 AM »
Originally posted by Oedipus
"peeps"

What's that?

Peeps : A fun easter treat now good for any occasion!! :D

Marshmallow Peeps

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
      • http://myweb.cableone.net/decon14/
Warbirds?
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2003, 12:14:52 PM »
In Short....

I spent nearly 6 years in WarBirds.  Yup was there when Hitech and Pryo were.

AH is the game that WarBirds was supposed to be, but never will be.

IMHO

1.  The game engine is "pooched".  They try to fix or add something and screws something else.

2. No ingame Vox, Start, scores, locator, and the list goes on.

3. The same map was up for more than a year.

4.  Numbers have dropped from nearly 200 to less than 60 Prime time.

5.  Cockpits are 2D-ish

6.  Many of the terrains, including the new ones cause mirco-warps

7.  The atmosphere is like flying in "jello" to discourage Stick-stirrers.

8.  It costs 24.95 for unlimited.

9.  IEN layed off some of the better technical peeps:)

10.  The skies are rendered a bit better although that is a popular opinnion, not mine.  I like the AH skies just fine.

Ahhh well, give it a try for yourself.

Dracon
« Last Edit: June 25, 2003, 02:10:31 PM by dracon »

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Warbirds?
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2003, 12:37:45 PM »
THIS IS MY OPINION AND MINE ONLY AFTER PLAYING WB3 RECENTLY!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Warbirds III is in the final stages of death...maybe not anytime soon but probably within the next year and it will be gone. As a past subscriber who went back recently I noticed that some of the same bugs that were showing up in beta are still there. I think the ineptitude of the management is what is causing the downfall of the game (WB3) and they have pushed it so far over the cliff that nothing is going to save it.

Now Zroostr if you want more in depth you should at least try it online for a while. There are a few VF-17 guys still in that sim from a brother branch of our squadron. I can get you the hook up with them in case you want to still try it.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Bcnu

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.fourthfightergroup.com
Warbirds?
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2003, 01:09:27 PM »
WB often posts primetime numbers of 100-120, with peaks of 200-250 for the S3 events.  If I may be so bold, some ex-WBers have perhaps maintained some inaccuracies about WB.

My own thought is that AH and WB are so close in flight modeling it's spooky.  Some time back (WB: 3.02r2, AH: 1.10p4) I did a comparison between the 'big 3' online sims with regard to their BoB-era planes.  There are some very minor differences, but with 5 minutes to get used to different control keys a AH pilot could fly well in WB or vice versa (monumental virtual pilot egos aside).

There are FM reviews going on right now, but not by committee; to the best of my knowledge it's Iddons and a test team doing the work.  They're using core sources just like Dale and Doug would, not waving magical nerf bats.

The real differences are stylistic; WB has a rolling plane set and Axis/Allies split; AH doesn't.  One or the other may be your preference.  WB has a control inertia and AH doesn't; you could call one 'jello' or the other 'flicky' if you want (I think both are right given what they intend to accomplish).

Still, I don't see anything in Reschke's post that I would disagree with.  After all, it was due to Stealey's glorious management style that two of iCi's founders ended up creating new simulations...

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
Warbirds?
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2003, 01:24:07 PM »
WB has an exploding suicide truck. I like that.:D

Hey skipper? I dont wanna join, I just wanna see what it's like online. If it's not free an easy then I wont even bother. I dont have enough time to do that and practice on my AH skills too. AH is my game. I had noticed some references to WB around here so I figured I'd ask.

Offline MoMoney

• Copper Member
Warbirds?
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2003, 01:25:12 PM »
Actualy I had an account with WB's and the one thing I could not stand were the CARTOON TEXTURES.  + 20 people online.  I never saw more than 40....ever.

Offline Slot

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.vfa25.org
Warbirds?
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2003, 01:40:39 PM »
I was a Warbird Player for over 5 years. I closed my account last month and joined Aces High. I quit due to the numbers (Usually about 30 players weeknights (Pacific USA Time) and the fact that in the WWII arena (AXIS VS ALLIED) the odds were 2 or 3 to 1 in favor of the Allied. The FM's for the 109 has been changed ( For the worse) while the Spits have not even been looked at. There have been no inprovements in game play for over 2 years. So, if you want to fly Allied aircaft and club baby seals, then WB is the place to be.

Slot
Recovering WB player

Offline Kekule

• Zinc Member
Warbirds?
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2003, 01:48:17 PM »
Wow, this post is missing nopoop, lazs and ripsnort!

WB has a historical slant, AH has a balanced, free for all slant. To each his own.

WB could very well disappear soon, as in weeks or months. (or not) Of course, the death of WB has been predicted for the good part of a decade.

AH will disappear eventually as well.

WB has a decent IJ planeset with a suspect damage model.

AH has no Ki-43 or Ki-84. :eek: (Not a problem for most John Wayne types though.)

WB has buggy, historical maps that cause problems for many people.

AH has non-historical maps designed for playability that many people severly dislike.

WB has lame-prettythang president for the company who couldn't sell 1/2 price gasoline to SUV owners.

AH has an owner who sold his original game to the same lame-prettythang as above.

Both games are not updated frequently enough.

In conclusion:  Both games suck in their own special ways.  Pick which one you think sucks less or wait (and wait, and wait, and wait) for TR.

zrooster, if you have an exploding suicide truck, then you definitely have an old version of WB.  The new, full version is almost 200 megs so I hope you have a fast connection.  AH download is much, much smaller, don't know exactly but I'm guessing 30 or 40 megs.

Then again, if you dig the suicide truck, then maybe combat trim and AoA limiting is right for you. :p

Kekule
WB: 18th Sentai