Author Topic: CT Set-Up July 4th - 10th  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
CT Set-Up July 4th - 10th
« on: July 02, 2003, 02:58:53 PM »
OPERATION BURMA!

Set up is for late 1941 during the battle through the jungles for the Burma Road.

ALLIES (BISHOPS)

P-40B Tomahawk
Hurricane I
SBD-5 Dauntless
Boston III
C-47 Dakota
M's
LVT's

AXIS (KNIGHTS)

A6M2 ZERO
B5N2 KATE
D3A1 VAL
KI-67 PEGGY
C-47
M's
LVT's

ARENA SETTINGS

MAP: Burma
RADAR: 500ft - Full Friendly
ACK: .7
FUEL: 1.2
DOWNTIMES:
Hangars - 20 min.
Ack - 25 min.
All others - 30 min
NITE/DAY: standard time setting
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Skyfoxx

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 03:42:24 PM »
I know we have to live with substitutions sometimes but the Ki-67 in 1941?
"Consider your own fortunes gentlemen the deepest circle of hell is reserved for traitors and mutineers."

Offline najdorf

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 04:08:25 PM »
nothing in this set up will be able to catch a Ki67.

Key's gonna love this, A6M2's all around.

Offline Dennis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2003, 04:41:33 PM »
Jester!

Love this setup each time it comes around.
I'm sure you'll see some 13th Sentai in there this week.

Re the fast bombers.  Has anyone thought about ditching the bombers altogether for a future similar setup?  Not suggesting it here ... but I wouldn't complain if you did.

I have about as much trouble chasing down Bostons in a zeke as the allies have chasing down the Peggy ... although I'm sure the speed differential is closer (too lazy to look) ... but the Boston's still pretty fast.
Anyway, aren't the Zekes, Kates, Vals, Dauntlesses and gvs adequate for jabo/base capture?  
More of a challenge, yes.  Require a little coordination, yes.

Anyway, just musings on my part.  Looking forward to returning to Burma.

One question:  What does "standard time setting" mean?

Splash1
13th Sentai

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2003, 06:26:30 PM »
true, that would force the kate and val to be used.  I say lose the ki

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2003, 06:35:11 PM »
mixed feelings on this:

1. ki-67 way out of place. 110c4 would be a better substitution (appropriately skinned as something something).

2. allies currently have p40e and hurri1; back to back with a degradation to the p40b.

3. were them clouds from hell fixed? were they present this map?
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2003, 07:07:39 PM »
The Boston can catch the ki 67, and both are rarely used to any great effect and it does give the Buff guys a toy to play with, so in a crazy way they are a balanced option for the bomber aspect of the set up. Their both fast for the fighters that apose them, they both cary about the same bombload, but the Boston can be used as an effective atack plane and the Ki 67 cant, other than that their prety even.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2003, 07:54:09 PM »
No no no, we've had this thread before, and the Ki-67 this early is absurd no matter what matches are envisioned.  

Use the Kate if a bomber is that important, but no airplane three years more advanced.  

The whole idea of CT depends on an equitable rolling plane set.  When popular scenarios identify significant gaps like this one, it's time for HiTech and crew to crank out a couple new aircraft solutions.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2003, 01:48:49 AM »
I agree that the Ki-67 is overkill here, but the Allied guys are suffering myopia.

The Boston III is just as bad for the Axis as the Ki-67 is for the Allies yet they all want the setup to lose the Ki-67 without mentioning the Boston III.

Lose both or lose neither.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2003, 01:59:12 AM »
agreed,  lose the uber-buffs... make the strat-milk-rank-potatos earn it the hard way.

:D
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2003, 02:10:23 AM »
Neither of those planes are good for rank related sorties, except perhaps the Boston for atack sorties, so if their off bombing some depo or town or somthing it's for the fun of it more than likely.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 02:17:47 AM by brady »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2003, 07:12:51 AM »
you forgot the 109f ..... :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline keyapaha

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2003, 08:34:02 AM »
yay the a6m2, in here I might be able to land some kills in it,sure cant do that very often in the MA.

I agree loose the ki67 & boston

Offline Skyfoxx

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2003, 08:41:18 AM »
Well the presence of Ki-67 isn't going to ruin this setup, it just seems to be a bit much, but I realize the current alternatives are slim.
And brady is correct that if compared to a Boston, the speed, and bombload of the ki-67 are pretty even. It's the defensive armament that gives the Ki-67 the undue advantage in the bomber role imho. It can be a real ack machine if you don't make smart passes on it. The Boston (not A20) is fast but pretty much defensless, but historically that is correct too.

The Ki-67 in this setup is supposed to represent the Ki-21 sally which was the predominant bomber for the Japanese over Burma. So from a historical standpoint the Ki-21II sally was 30 mph slower than the Ki-67 and it's defensive armament consisted of 4 7.7mm type 89 mg and 1 12.7mm type 1 mg where as the Ki-67 utilized 12.7mm guns and a 20mm cannon. So if you look at it like that then there is a pretty big difference between the substitution and what was actually used over Burma in the late 41 time frame.

But if you look at if from the point of being balanced then yes there is not much else that can be done unless you dropped both buffs from the setup and that would just spoil the fun for the guys that do enjoy buffing.
Not much we can do except make smart passes, which after all is what we should be doing anyway. ;)

Cya over Burma
"Consider your own fortunes gentlemen the deepest circle of hell is reserved for traitors and mutineers."

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2003, 11:42:50 AM »
Have fun in Burma.
I'll be in North Carolina with the family for the next week and 1/2.  See you guys in the middle of July.

eskimo