Author Topic: Flaps and Carrier takeoffs  (Read 657 times)

Offline Kaz

• Silver Member
Flaps and Carrier takeoffs
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2003, 02:19:34 PM »
Adding some headwind to the carrier deck (from sea level up to maybe 200-500ft) should help a lot.

Of course it would have to be fixed to carrier direction of travel because of the nature of cv combat.

This was brought up before by Arlo and 1Duke1, thought they needed to be mentioned again.

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2003, 11:22:16 PM »
Adding headwind would make it easier to takeoff but would not address any of the issues that make it difficult. It is just a work around.

Offline 2Hawks

• Nickel Member
      • http://daniel.clanbaker.com
Everything implied in the previous threads...
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2003, 01:23:48 AM »
Would suggest the power rating on the F4U's Engines is set a tad low.

Offline joeblogs

• Nickel Member
headwinds
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2003, 11:57:51 AM »
Seems to me that if carrier operations were devised under the assumption of 30 knots of induced headwind (just the ship's engine plus nature's contribution, it will be hard for the game to match the manuals or actual film without modeling it.  

The Japanese planes do jump off the deck, but their wing loading is so much lower...

-Blogs

Originally posted by F4UDOA
Adding headwind would make it easier to takeoff but would not address any of the issues that make it difficult. It is just a work around.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2003, 02:47:07 PM »
I hope you guys figure this out because it has always seemed highly illogical to me that I can't get an F-4U off the carrier unless it is far from fully loaded.  

Even after following several threads of F-4U takeoff nuances, I once pranged about a week's production run proving I couldn't do it with a maxed out Corsair.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline jconradh

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2003, 11:03:07 PM »
Hi all!

Not to discount your research, F4UDOA, or my brother's (Hi, Mr. Blogs!  :D ) :

I rarely have problems taking off with any F4U fully loaded and I do not back up.

When the CV is moving there is wind over the deck.  If someone turned on wind at sea / ground level we would have better takeoff conditions into the wind.

Are you standing on the brakes when you go to full throttle?  I think you should.  Isn't this what they did in RL?

They also set trims for takeoff, right?  I trim the elevator fully up (reduces amount of back stick), 2 notches right rudder trim and 5 notches right aileron trim.

Here's where I cheat:  I start with 4 notches of flaps and after I pass the far end of the island deploy full flaps and pickup gear just over the edge.

I sometimes dip but  not too badly.

Only time I get close to the water is with  bombs AND rockets, but I don't believe they did this very often from CV's.  I always take full fuel (I don't think they launched planes from CV's w/o full fuel very often).

There may be some accuracy issues not addressed by AH but takeoff is not that difficult.

Full fuel and 2K of bombs is no problem.  Add rockets and I work a little, but not too much.

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 06, 2003, 11:08:25 PM by jconradh »

Offline joeblogs

• Nickel Member
winds at 0 ft
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2003, 05:58:34 AM »
If you are right that the induced wind is modeled, all that is left to so id to ensure there is always some wind over water at 0 altituded.

-blogs

Originally posted by jconradh
Hi all!

Not to discount your research, F4UDOA, or my brother's (Hi, Mr. Blogs!  :D ) :

I rarely have problems taking off with any F4U fully loaded and I do not back up.

When the CV is moving there is wind over the deck.  If someone turned on wind at sea / ground level we would have better takeoff conditions into the wind.

Are you standing on the brakes when you go to full throttle?  I think you should.  Isn't this what they did in RL?

They also set trims for takeoff, right?  I trim the elevator fully up (reduces amount of back stick), 2 notches right rudder trim and 5 notches right aileron trim.

Here's where I cheat:  I start with 4 notches of flaps and after I pass the far end of the island deploy full flaps and pickup gear just over the edge.

I sometimes dip but  not too badly.

Only time I get close to the water is with  bombs AND rockets, but I don't believe they did this very often from CV's.  I always take full fuel (I don't think they launched planes from CV's w/o full fuel very often).

There may be some accuracy issues not addressed by AH but takeoff is not that difficult.

Full fuel and 2K of bombs is no problem.  Add rockets and I work a little, but not too much.

Jeff