Author Topic: Who Owns A Harley?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
Who Owns A Harley?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2003, 08:19:59 AM »
Hrmm I could say some mindless things about these yahoo's on Crotch rockets..

As responceable riders.. I see people on Hog's ride with more brains then the counter parts on rockets.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Who Owns A Harley?
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2003, 10:08:20 AM »
As responceable riders.. I see people on Hog's ride with more brains then the counter parts on rockets.

Maybe there is a good point to having a poor handling bike after all!  You have to be careful not to crash it since it doesnt turn well, so you keep your speed down.   :)

Of course, I know more then a few riders who have wrecked on their Harleys too.  I remember the one well, when I was a Firefighter, who drove his into the front of the oncoming Pontiac Fiero, because he couldn't keep it in his lane on a turn.  Had a hell of a time getting those vehicles untangled.  Unfortunately, the HD rider didnt make it.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
Who Owns A Harley?
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2003, 11:01:21 AM »
Dago..

Hrmm.. well all I can say is in my daily travels around town. I see more accident with rockets then with Hog's.  But, then its a younger group thats rides these wild rides.

I guess with something like that you just can go slow :D

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Who Owns A Harley?
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2003, 11:06:49 AM »
I agree you will probably see more crotch rocket wrecks than any other bike style.  You got it right, its more about the age of the rider and the overconfidence of youth.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Vipermann

• Nickel Member
Who Owns A Harley?
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2003, 12:14:50 PM »
Please don't lump sportbike riders into a group that hates Harleys. There are some of us that are happy just to see people enjoying a motorcycle, that's what it's all about.

The only thing I noticed is that some guys on certain bikes don't want to wave, or decide to do the one figered salute. I used to think it was Harley drivers but more and more I find it's guys on bikes that wish they were on Harleys.

Ride what you want and be safe, just cause I enjoy putting my knee on the ground around bends doesn't mean I should be ragging on the guy who enjoys a sunset cruise. :cool:
Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dieing

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
Who Owns A Harley?
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2003, 01:35:27 PM »
Some of my favorite people in the world are those that wear Harley t-shirts, have sweet mullets, have Harley stickers plastered all over their but have never even been close to owning a Harley.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Who Owns A Harley?
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2003, 01:53:50 PM »
Some of my favorite people in the world are those that wear Harley t-shirts, have sweet mullets, have Harley stickers plastered all over their

heh heh  I know the type.  We call them FDBs.  :)

dago

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
Who Owns A Harley?
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2003, 01:59:25 PM »
LOL!

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
Who Owns A Harley?
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2003, 02:10:48 PM »
2000 dyna lowrider here. My 3rd harley and who knows what number bike it is I have owned. Every thing from a 400 ss honda to a 1200 katana and everything in between. Dago my harleys handle just fine. They are not sport bikes and if you ride one or any other crusier like a sport bike your gonna get rash. Well except for sportys they are a lot of fun cant take them to the edge like a modern rice rocket. I have broken down several times on bikes twice on a kawi and once on a suzuki never once has one of my harleys failed to start run and get me to the destination and home. My katana leaked more oil than any of my harleys did. A true motor cycle enthusiast does not care what brand it is as long as it has 2 wheels.

The story you told of the guy that could not hold his line and ran into oncoming traffic. If you ride over your head or over the capabiltys of your ride. The same thing as riding over your head you are gonna get rash and deservingly so!

There are 2 kinds of motorcyclist the ones that are going down and the ones that are going down again. Any fool can drop 5 grand on some rice rocket and do 150mph. Living to tell about it is another story all together.
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline Pfunk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Who Owns A Harley?
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2003, 03:28:32 PM »
Nacho aren't you like 17 or 18, how the heck did you afford that, or did daddy buy it for you?

Anyway here is Dad's 100th anniversary edition

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
Who Owns A Harley?
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2003, 03:53:29 PM »
Nacho I had a 97 1200s sporty. Same color as yours. I had the cams and lightning heads put on it with the vance and hines sport pipes. If you havent done it read the owners manual on shock setup. Takes some time and fine tune them it makes a big difference. Man that bike was fun right up to 120mph then it got this vicious head shake bout wet my pants the first time it did that. Added a steering dampner after that.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 07:48:23 PM by icemaw »
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Who Owns A Harley?
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2003, 07:46:24 PM »
Originally posted by Dago
Why would someone admit to having no self esteem?

I am pretty sure that is why people buy Harleys, to try and buy an identity.  Truth is they are pretty crappy bikes compared to just about every other brand built.  

Engines have never been very good, vibrate way to much, notoriously leaked oil for years, and too noisy really for long riding.

Frame geometery was bad, so they never handled well, rather handled heavy and cumbersome.

Price is way way to high.

But, if you really are lacking in an identity, want to feel better about yourself, want to "belong to a crowd" of followers, buy a Harley. (Notice how most Harley riders have to point out they belong to the crowd with black logo shirts and stickers for their windows)

Thats how I feel about them anyway, I never enjoyed riding them, my experience is most others bike ride better.

dago

Why would anyone admit to being a self important, self annointed, arrogant, so called expert on sociology/psychology, with some sort of inferiority complex?

Notice how most rice riders have to make up for some sort of inadequacy by wearing a full set of racing leathers on the street and riding around like they're at Road Atlanta. Oh, and those pipes on those annoying buzz saws are real quiet too. Talk about ego, identity, and envy issues. Kind of like their automotive brethren with "Top Fuel" wings and stainless steel fart can mufflers on Honda Civics.

Perhaps if you were as smart and important as you thought you were, you could be President on the Independent ticket, on your own nickel. More likely though, if we bought you for what you are worth, and sold you for what you THOUGHT you were worth, we could laugh at those poor PowerBall winners.

Don't like my reply? GOOD! Don't be so quick to hang labels on people you know absolutely nothing about.

I've owned and ridden both kinds of bikes, with both groups of people. I got rid of a GS1150ES and quit riding with the rice boys. Started off with a Sportster, and sold it to buy a Lowrider. I'm between bikes now, my next one will be a custom home built.

I know both groups, I don't have to make ASSumptions like you do.

I have absolutely no lack of identity, I'm as secure in who I am as anyone you will find.  Have yourself a nice ricer life.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Who Owns A Harley?
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2003, 10:26:41 AM »
this kinda funny... when I was riding Harley's not that many would admit to it.

Course... women and accountants didn't ride em back then... they couldn'tg start em.   still have a 70 police special laying around somewhere.

Comes down to the experiance..  different people want to experiance different things.. One thing for sure... Harley's were the king of cruise... you could have fun going slow and "profilin"... it was a real blast to cruise at 70 and every once in a while squirt it up past 100 for a little bit.

with the crotch rockets... you can't really enjoy em unless you are allmost dieing plus...

They have got to be the most cartoonish, silliest looking and sounding things this side of the fast and furious.

but then.... I may be getting old...  rap and hip hop piss me off.
lazs

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Who Owns A Harley?
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2003, 10:43:15 AM »
you are getting old but Harleys are still awesome :)

Offline Pfunk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Who Owns A Harley?
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2003, 10:58:30 AM »
Funny thing is every rice rocket manufacturer has at least one bike in their lineup that steals virtually every design hue from Harley Davidson.  For instance look at Honda's crusier bikes every damn one of them looks just like a Harley.