Author Topic: Warning for Hitech  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Warning for Hitech
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2003, 11:57:34 AM »
Zenms,

You really need to check up on your HT history.

...and a RR arena would be the cheeze.

Offline laz

• Copper Member
Warning for Hitech
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2003, 11:58:06 AM »
Heres something else to warn HTC about.  I had a hell of a lot of Taco Bell last night, just thought you should know. ;)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Warning for Hitech
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2003, 12:06:47 PM »
I could be mistaken but I thought that Hitech and Pyro both played AW before moving on to Confirmed Kill/WarBirds.

Marketing person....Too funny; I do that as part of my job and I still find out that word of mouth/email is by far the most effective source of advertising.

Wasn't there a huge split down the middle between the FR and RR guys in AW. At least that is what I remember. So it sounds to me like you want to steer HTC down the same road that AW headed down. I don't think HTC is going to drop in a RR arena anytime soon in AH...I could be wrong but I just don't see it happening.

Not trying to knock you but I just want to know why?
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Warning for Hitech
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2003, 12:35:11 PM »
ZENMS got tired of black-outs, so he said:
Create a "Relaxed Realism" version, as AW had, and let the hardcore pilot wannabe's live for FR as usual. This will get many new clients, and give the ones who are not yet skilled a place to fly, where they can do more than become points for someone else.

I can see your reasoning, but not sure I would go along with it.

You actually address 3 things:

(a) rookies are fodder for vets - this is going to be true for any multiplayer game.  My submariner buddy used to whup me in Nintendo games when I'd visit him between cruises, because he'd been playing below the ocean for months on end.  An AH vet that's been playing for months shouldn't possess the same skill as a guy on his 2-week free trial period, and shouldn't find himself ham-strung by simple-to-learn airplanes.  If a guy can master a game in 2 weeks, then what's the incentive to subscribe?  A game should have a built-in learning curve to it; it should have room in it for player growth.  Otherwise it will go stale.

(b) learning curve - AH has a good library of vehicles from which to choose.  Its easy to get a Spitfire, FM2, and N1K2 into a fight and maybe even get a kill on your first flight.  Learning the game commands takes a bit longer, but that's going to be true for a RR arena as well.  Just because RR might take away stalls and g-force blackouts doesn't mean the basic menu system would be simpler.  Besides, Spitfire, FM2, and N1K2s are the most stall-friendly planes in the group and are easy to fly.  Plus, there's the anti-stall option that can be selected, plus the auto-launch from the runway and the "combat trim" feature to further reduce pilot skill requirements.

(c) hardcore vs softcore pilots - I think you'll find the hardcore guys will be flying the more challenging planes, the planes that take an intuitive skill and experience to master, such as the P-47, the 109 and 190, F4U, P-51B, P-38, C.205, Ki-61, and such.  The softcore guys will fly the user-friendly planes such as the Spitfire IX, N1K2, LA-7, and P-51D.  If you find your Spitfire IX getting smacked down by a clown-tailed Ki-61, then you know you just got bested by a vet.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Warning for Hitech
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2003, 01:13:45 PM »
Ahh, Finnish drinking jokes are the best.

In 1940, the day after Bodoe (my home town) was bombed, Pekka and Toyvonen wakes up in the ruins of a bar. After clearing a path through the rubble, they sagger out on the street and see the devestation ...

... After a long moment of silence Toyvonen whispers: "Pekka ... I don't think we can pay for this ... lets run!"

:D :D :D
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
Warning for Hitech
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2003, 01:15:03 PM »
in 1-10 scale of whine i rate this thread to 20

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
Warning for Hitech
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2003, 01:15:45 PM »
Originally posted by spiegel
I canceled my account a while ago becuase i couldnt stand AH anymore.... Im not fully back but i do come on sometimes on a friends account and i enjoy it alot more now  for these simple reason..]/B]

"1.  Use of your Account is expressly limited to you.  Your Account may not be transferred to any other party, temporarily or permanently."

http://www.hitechcreations.com/htcindex.html

:p

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
Warning for Hitech
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2003, 01:54:34 PM »
Originally posted by Maniac
An whine has been recorded.

A type-o has been recorded.

Offline laz

• Copper Member
Warning for Hitech
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2003, 02:07:11 PM »
I wasn't complaining about the Taco Bell. ;)

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
Warning for Hitech
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2003, 02:08:29 PM »
I tend to agree with Furball, people ARE getting a bit frustrated, I include myself in this, Im getting very tired of the same old thing, I for one would like VERY much to hear how AH2 is doing, we havent even seen a bloody screenshot, even though its not that long till its supposed to be released.I find the lack of updates very depressing.
 With the current map rotation scheme (which I loathe) I have to wait a lifetime till my favorite map Big Isles comes round again,along with Baltic my other favorite map,these two are probably the most realistic terrain we've had,I wont even start on the other ones.The 3 sided war has been done to death and its time it was buried.
 We need something thrown at us to keep the excitement going,in this case,no news is bad news,and people will get frustrated.
 You can carry on with your boring 'whine of the week' crap now.
 Thats gettin real old too,this is a place to voice opinions.
Joc

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
Warning for Hitech
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2003, 02:14:46 PM »
Originally posted by Joc
I tend to agree with Furball, people ARE getting a bit frustrated, I include myself in this, Im getting very tired of the same old thing, I for one would like VERY much to hear how AH2 is doing, we havent even seen a bloody screenshot, even though its not that long till its supposed to be released.I find the lack of updates very depressing.
 With the current map rotation scheme (which I loathe) I have to wait a lifetime till my favorite map Big Isles comes round again,along with Baltic my other favorite map,these two are probably the most realistic terrain we've had,I wont even start on the other ones.The 3 sided war has been done to death and its time it was buried.
 We need something thrown at us to keep the excitement going,in this case,no news is bad news,and people will get frustrated.
 You can carry on with your boring 'whine of the week' crap now.
 Thats gettin real old too,this is a place to voice opinions.

Ditto!  As well as a "Double Ditto!" in regards to current map rotation scheme.

(Wonder if those targetware guys are ever going to release?  This would be a good time)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 02:42:49 PM by Zanth »

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
Warning for Hitech
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2003, 02:19:22 PM »
Originally posted by ZENMS

Fun=kills. PERIOD! Create a "Relaxed Realism" version, as AW had, and let the hardcore pilot wannabe's live for FR as usual. This will get many new clients, and give the ones who are not yet skilled a place to fly, where they can do more than become points for someone else.

Bob, give me yer gun.

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
Warning for Hitech
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2003, 02:27:32 PM »
I heard Crimson Skies was coming out for Xbox this Christmas.  They may even be gearing for a MMOG for it.

Might be a better deal for the RR guys then AH.  Just a suggestion.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Warning for Hitech
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2003, 02:30:22 PM »
Originally posted by Ecke-109-

PS:
I guess HTC dont care much about frustrated or tired vets.
As long as there are more newbie-subscribtions than cancelling vets, the world is ok for HTC.

DING DING!!  You win.

It's a business folks, and money is what matters.  It's not a matter of old vets, newbies and/or who HTC "cares about", it's about "what" HTC cares about.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 02:36:46 PM by Tumor »
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Warning for Hitech
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2003, 02:46:03 PM »
Originally posted by Reschke
I could be mistaken but I thought that Hitech and Pyro both played AW before moving on to Confirmed Kill/WarBirds.

Marketing person....Too funny; I do that as part of my job and I still find out that word of mouth/email is by far the most effective source of advertising.

Wasn't there a huge split down the middle between the FR and RR guys in AW. At least that is what I remember. So it sounds to me like you want to steer HTC down the same road that AW headed down. I don't think HTC is going to drop in a RR arena anytime soon in AH...I could be wrong but I just don't see it happening.

Not trying to knock you but I just want to know why?

I dunno if it was "down the middle" so much as "70/30" or so. I think when comparing AW to AH we need to remember that AW started in `87 as a very basic dos game that resembled a pared down version of it's RR arena. From there it worked UP to AWIII and ADDED "FR." With AH, it STARTED as a "beefed up" version of AW "FR" and has shown additional improvements since then.

AW didn't have that luxury in the beginning. It would have been nice. Then it would never have had the "70/30" split and additional improvements that enhanced immersion and game realism would have reflected positively on the whole customer base and not gone unnoticed (or noticed and resented by) the majority of it's customer base.

Still, I tend to agree that AW had a large number of loyal customers that stuck with it to the end. It was more due to the community involved than anything else.