Author Topic: About the Panzer IV.  (Read 714 times)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
About the Panzer IV.
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2003, 03:36:13 PM »
If you had an armour piercing 37mm that could fire full auto and never run out of ammo or break down it would kill panzers eventually out to the maximum range of the round. As neither reliablility nor ammo limits are imposed on that gun it will kill a panzer eventually.  Of course Urchin knows that at 3k the rounds will be plunging onto the decks like mortar rounds and that is likely why the gun is dangerous to panzers at those big ranges and at under 1k where it can just pulverize the tank but not really at 1300-2k where the rounds are still hitting the main armour.

Offline SixxGunn

• Copper Member
About the Panzer IV.
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2003, 03:37:35 PM »
I remember seeing an old post many moons ago from HiTech that the mannable ack at fields are just skinned with the same 37mm texture that the unmannable ack has but they represent large caliber duel purpose guns.

This was done to allow bases to have anti armor capability all its own without the need to spawn armor in.

So my squad looks at the mannable ack as 88s in sheeps clothing (37mm skins) and they are a top priority when we attack fields in GV's.

But I agree that there are alot of GV problems that need addressing, and you named most of them.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2003, 03:40:39 PM by SixxGunn »

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
About the Panzer IV.
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2003, 06:05:31 PM »
Yes there are huge problems with the armour damage and effect model.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
About the Panzer IV.
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2003, 06:09:55 PM »
It is funny to see all these megadweebs jumping from manned gun to manned gun trying to get easy kills without even traveling a mile or being worried about die. IMO, this is the main problem. A poor guy driving his panzer for 10 mins just to be destroyed be some dweeb jumping into a manned gun. These things are ruining the game.

Offline Lt. Fragg

• Zinc Member
About the Panzer IV.
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2003, 10:28:29 PM »
Hell I agree with Urchin and his frustration of being plinked out from 3k from a damn ack while in a tank.

Obviously the main focus of HT is to model the planes etc correctly in first order but man...if you're going to include GV's...ya gotta model them SOMEWHAT close to historical.

Flak guns killing at 3K, tigers/panzers dying from downed buildings just ain't right.

Basically if you offer the gv aspect to the game, give it as much attention as the other aspects (aircraft) and wipe out these horrible gv bugs...

Just my 2 cents :)

Offline T0J0

• Silver Member
About the Panzer IV.
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2003, 11:10:38 PM »
Urchin musta got killed...How dare them...Had to have been a gang...

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
About the Panzer IV.
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2003, 12:33:57 AM »
Originally posted by Pongo
...Of course Urchin knows that at 3k the rounds will be plunging onto the decks like mortar rounds and that is likely why the gun is dangerous to panzers at those big ranges...

Which is quite obviously happening and easy to see as a gunner.  It takes quite some doing to get the rounds to fall into the target at those ranges, and it is of course the upper armor you are hitting.

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
About the Panzer IV.
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2003, 08:31:47 AM »
Originally posted by MANDOBLE
It is funny to see all these megadweebs jumping from manned gun to manned gun trying to get easy kills without even traveling a mile or being worried about die. IMO, this is the main problem. A poor guy driving his panzer for 10 mins just to be destroyed be some dweeb jumping into a manned gun. These things are ruining the game.

Well, I certainly agree there....you sit in a gun (at a base or on a ship) and its destroyed...you should get killed, not a landed sucessfully.

Once a Knight is Never Enough

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
About the Panzer IV.
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2003, 06:59:05 PM »
http://www.panzer-vi.fsnet.co.uk/

every thing u want to know about panzers and tigers. including range tanks and guns could kill.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2003, 07:05:30 PM by rod367th »

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
About the Panzer IV.
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2003, 09:24:54 PM »
Who cares about gvs anyway?  It's called Aces High.  Gvs are just a sideshow.  I would rather have HTC work on fixing plane bugs and producing AH2 than working on the gv model.  Urchin your panzer has a big gun on the top that can shoot just as far as the field acks.  Use it.  Don't bother getting your panties in a bunch over the gvs because they aren't important to HTC, just accept that and move on.  Besides, HTC have already said that they aren't going to change a thing in AH until AH2 is out.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
About the Panzer IV.
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2003, 09:57:02 PM »
Welp, no matter how fast I drove it, it wouldn't take off..

Silly design for a plane.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
About the Panzer IV.
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2003, 05:36:16 AM »
Originally posted by Urchin
Ok, and I'm sure as you've been told before, a 37mm round isn't going to knock out a tank at 1,000 yards.  Or 2,000 yards.  Or 3,000+ yards like it can now.  It is gamey bull****.  And since there is absolutely no intention of modelling it accurately, lets just give the gamey bull**** lever another pull and make it so it can kill a Panzer IV with one hit at any range.  Hell, it already knocks off all the pieces at any range, but then you have to sit there for a minute or two until the guy can get lucky and land a round that 'kills' you.  Just do away with all that bull****, lets make it easer on everyone involved.

dude, you just said it yourself, the gun DOESNT KNOCK out your tank at 3000 yards. it damages it :p

That said... since you all have no intention of modelling the Panzer IV correctly vis a vis a 37mm HE shell, could you at least make the tank die quicker? It gets extraordinarily tiresome to lose the turret in 2 hits, then the engine with the next 2, then the treads with the next few. Just make the first hit instant kill the tank.

there you go... you NOW want it to DIE quicker? yet you also want it not to die at all? ;) :confused:
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
About the Panzer IV.
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2003, 09:10:35 AM »
Originally posted by MANDOBLE

poor whels then.....the ultimate ack gunner:D

I agree with ya Urchin......even had a m16 completely DE track my Tiger:o

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
About the Panzer IV.
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2003, 09:44:36 AM »
I think there should be mannable airfield guns that are smaller and bigger than 37mm, such as a .50 cal sandbagged nest and a 88mm flak gun platform.  Then the armour for the tanks could be modelled properly without affecting gameplay (since the 88mm could take out the Panzer and Tigers).

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
About the Panzer IV.
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2003, 12:31:25 PM »
Well, I feel compelled to point out that, while there are inconsistencies in certain aspect of GV play, HiTech has not completely ignored ground combat.  It may not be getting the hightest priority, but it's coming along.  

1) The killer trees and buildings have been fixed.

2) The damage model made more complex than when it first came out (all-or-nothing damage model giving way to multiple damage types).

3) The addition of resupply/repair of GVs in the field.

4) Addition of man-able defensive guns to oppose GVs.

5) Addition of barriers and destroyable structures to the terrain editor library (have you seen the tank-battle villages in some of the CT terrains, like Fin-Russ and Rhine?:eek: ).

HiTech has also said he is working on overhead concealment for them as well, such as forest canopy that you can hid under.  Plenty of other GV bugs have been quashed as well, albeit rather more slowly than some would like.  I for one really enjoy taking GV's out (though planes are still my favorite).  Are there problems still? Sure.  Are they in the que? Most probably are.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."