Author Topic: What I Miss About WarBirds  (Read 1784 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
What I Miss About WarBirds
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2003, 07:29:05 AM »
I do miss the Ki.84, though I'd say I did better in the Ki.61 there as well.   But our Ki.61 is much better than WBs.

I miss approaching a base that had been attacked and the first thing you saw was the black columns of smoke rising in the distance.   Here you see the whole base first, and then when the smoke finally appears, it's appearance is short and fat.

I miss the A6M3, Ki.43, P-39, and the P-39F.

I miss the long, long wait between updates....er, nevermind. ;)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2003, 07:56:45 AM »
landing a field to capture it.

not much else.
lazs

Offline Skyfoxx

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2003, 11:10:48 AM »
OMSG's radio transmissions. :D
"Consider your own fortunes gentlemen the deepest circle of hell is reserved for traitors and mutineers."

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2003, 03:46:01 PM »
I don't miss one single thing about Warbirds the game. Well maybe just one and that would be the different colored tracers but now in AH I just fly with tracers off.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2003, 07:39:00 PM »
A long time ago I enjoyed the fact that the purkles had a high percentage of Pony dweebs, the goldies had a high percentage of "Men of Leather" and the frogs had quite alot of blue planes.

Being able to adjust the color of your tracers worked well. My gunnery sucks here. It sucked there too but it was "better" because of that feature.

But that was along time ago.

No killshooter (miss that from DOS AW also)

Runway craters that would wreck your gear.

WB always had killshooter on in the Main until recently ( Bad idea IMO )  Runway craters were bad because the spawn point was bombed. Gaming the game. For all the "strat" guys it was SOP.

What I miss from WBIII is absolutely nothing. Green jello terrain, mushy FM's that change weekly and a permant murkyness. It's like August in SF everyday of the year. The "realist" vocal majority there ensures the eventual demise of the game.

Some good people there, it's a shame their passion is slowly dying with the game.

Cept for that BB bastage...

Whassssup BB ?? Good to see ya droppin in.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2003, 08:34:33 PM by nopoop »
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Ike 2K#

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2003, 08:16:09 PM »
i tried the offline version. the 6x .50 cals are modeled there like 4x cannons while shooting fighters.

Offline bizket

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2003, 08:33:51 PM »
I dont know what game you where playing Ike but the 50s sucked in the one I played. IMO they are much more effective in AH, they kill like they should.

Offline Cooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2003, 08:55:45 PM »
Have to agree 50's much better in AH.

Miss RPS, Historical Cockpits, B-25 C and H,  B-24, Ju-52,  '38f and Ki-84

and the Purp- Red Rivalry was so intense, no one ever switched sides, we truly hated each other, there would be some guys you'd want to whoop on if you went to the Con  :D  j/k

< Edit > V   yes, there is some vulchin,
but attack group probably closed field quickly,
 so nobody can roll, so Vulchin is usually brief
« Last Edit: July 14, 2003, 09:17:59 PM by Cooley »
Cooleyof 367th

Offline Ike 2K#

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2003, 09:11:07 PM »
do people vulch in WB?

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2003, 09:18:38 PM »
Originally posted by Ike 2K#
do people vulch in WB?

Absolutely not!

Warbirders are much more honorable than that! They'd even let you land if you were wounded and had some kills--after every kill, one gets a salute from the defeated enemy and the skies are not cloudy all day.

h

Offline bfreek

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2003, 09:22:22 PM »
no ANSQR radar.

and Spectre

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2003, 12:04:09 AM »
Originally posted by Horn
Absolutely not!

Warbirders are much more honorable than that! They'd even let you land if you were wounded and had some kills--after every kill, one gets a salute from the defeated enemy and the skies are not cloudy all day.

h

LOL!

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2003, 01:34:41 AM »
nopoop said:
WB always had killshooter on in the Main until recently ( Bad idea IMO )

Hmm, could be you're right.  I seem to recall fragging squaddies there at one time, though, when we were all going for the same vulch ;).  But maybe I'm confusing that with DOS AW.  Anyway, :mad: I HATE KILLSHOOTER :mad: and I miss games that did not have it :)

Runway craters were bad because the spawn point was bombed. Gaming the game. For all the "strat" guys it was SOP.

Hell, it was SOP for me.  I could never get the hang of jabo ord in WB so I always bombed runway ends and intersections.  Those things were big enough for me to hit :D

I never had a problem with runway cratering.  They do it in real life and I came to WB from AW where you didn't pork fields, you closed them by dropping bombs on the runway.  There were no craters in AW even 1 bomb short of the number needed to close the field, so I thought having craters in WB was added realism.  
Of course, if craters DID do damage in AH, then airfield attacks would be by formations of B17s dropping 72x100# bombs to shut the place down, allowing easy capture of relatively intact fields.  Except for the craters, there'd be relatively little porkage.  OTOH, craters would let CAs defend themselves from kamikazes better.

I dunno, it's probably not a good idea for AH.  But it still bugs me that craters on the runway have no effect.  It just ain't realistic.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: What I Miss About WarBirds
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2003, 07:09:58 AM »
Originally posted by funkedup
Purps

"Landing" fields to capture them.

$2/hr keeping the tards out.

I miss those too. That $2/hour was money well spent. But landing fields to capture them got silly, because a single B17 could close and capture a small field.

Some things I miss
  • The crappy connections, and having to fly in the early morning just to get a decent connection (ISP bandwidth). That meant I ran into, and flew side by side with Lazs, as it would be about 10pm PST.
  • firing 70% of P47 ammo into a zeke with no result, then watching it warp up my screen with a fuel leak.
  • KillMe - I won a KillMe shirt once. KillMe was always one of the trainers, but they didn't like it if you told everyone who it was. I had an irate email from =varg= about that...
  • Daily ordnance requirement tweaks, FM nudges, bullet radius tweaks, and anything to do with "hardness". Gawd, how did I ever put up with that crap? What bollocks - may it never happen to AH.
  • 2.6 - that was the release in which I would line up a ju52 in my 12, pull the trigger back and hold it there with a rubber band wrapped around it, go to make a cup of coffee, and by the time I got back the con might just have started smoking. Seriously, I only ever got 4 kills in the entire month that the 2.6 POS was there.
  • Some guy called Glunz who used to rag on me in the AGW BBS.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2003, 08:22:33 AM »
Funny, after almost 4 years I recently tried both WB 2.7 & warbirds 3.

My first, last, & main comment was.

DAMM we have it good in AH.

Lord I forgot how much this sucked.

Thank GOD I left WB in the dust long ago to fly AH.

Read AGW occaisionally, you will find it full of major problems, big huge nasty bugs that no one appears to be fixing.
Complaints about Customer service, billing after you close your acct, etc.

Read the AH boards, all you find is a bunch of trivial whines & trolls.
There is nothing serious to talk about because the problems have all been long since dealt with.

Sorry I have no intent to offend anyone.
I also look back on warbirds with fond memories.

But I'll live in the Current AH thank you very much.

HTC

BTW for those of you who think that makes me a fan boi, Gee ya got ONE thing right anyway.