Author Topic: What I Miss About WarBirds  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
What I Miss About WarBirds
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2003, 08:30:07 AM »
Beetle,

Neg bro, I've always been Ghost or a varient.Was Ghostt for most of my warbirds time. There have been lots of ghost's of one spelling or another through the years.

No son here. :(

Spent most of my brand W time hanging out in the HA. If my squadies weren't on you could find me with the 27th Sentai dudes.

I had issues with Hotseat but I never wished anything bad to happen to Brand W.

Sorry to hear they have been going through some hard times over there.

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2003, 09:39:14 AM »
Miss this stuff:

- The 3 kinds of p38

- The engine sound that changed pitch with your speed (just really added to the immersion factor)

- Pretty Airplane graphics

- Otto (would prefer option of fully player crewed bomber though)

------------------------------
------------------------------

Don't miss one bit:

- RPS

- Poor quality terrain and sky graphics. (it is like flying in a watercolor painting - everything is blurry and dark)

PS( I don't like the clutter in AH/AH2 either, looks ugly to me - but AH terrains are plenty fine looking with that off. Please retain the "clutter" switch)

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2003, 09:44:26 PM »
Nope, I'm that "Ghost", Scrambl.  But if it was CON 2000, you are probably thinking of Hamfst's son (9 at the time IIRC), since Frank wasn't there.  (Edit -> He was at Con 2002 which may be where the confusion came from.)  

Was Elvene originally, but I got tired of getting shot down - followed by apologies...

"Sorry, didn't mean that honey!"

(Apparently, everyone thought Elvene was some form of Evelyn).  

Then when some guy named Eleven started flying even I couldn't keep it straight - I'd look down in the buffer and go "OMFG! How did I die!?!?!" and for a crazy couple of seconds sit there waiting for lag to catch up to me before realizing. :)

So I became -Ghost in Warbirds, am -Ghost on AGW, still Elvene on the IEN boards, am Ghastly in WWIIOL (every version of Ghost I could think of was taken...) I hang out in the H&S forum on AGW, beta-test for the WarBirds team, and fly with Bmbm's 56th FG in WWIIOL, and am hanging out with what's left of the Barbary Corsairs in another up and coming "soon", "two weeks" sim.  (The last year or so has been kinda rough squadron-wise in WB's - I think I'm the last guy standing in WB's.)

By the way, just so I know, what is the AH equivilent of "two weeks"?

Just shadowing Nopoop tonight, looking to see what trouble he's been stirring up over here, and kinda sticking the toes in the water - just in case this last "fiasco" goes the direction it looks like it might be going.

All

Ghastly
« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 10:24:42 PM by Ghastly »
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2003, 10:16:55 PM »
Ghost my friend.

Good to see ya here getting your toe wet. Just damn good to see ya.

Hope to cya up.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2003, 10:23:48 PM »
Ya know, when I first got "modern" and bought a 'puter, one of the first things I did was look for a flying game.  I found Warbirds.  I downloaded it (2.77) and played offline and through modem connect with a buddy (338MAG who plays here when he can find the time)

I thought it was great, but the price for online was more than I could get the wife to agree to.  I played a lot offline, and I stunk...I think even the AI enemies were makin fun of me on the text buffer. :p   But I still spent many hours playing and dying.

Then one day, I went searchin around and found AH.  I can only say that after the short period of being unable to get my plane off the ground I realized that this was the game I preferred.

Now I still got WB2.77 loaded for those times when the phone lines go down, but even then I dont play it.  Its just not my cup of tea.

I know there were 4 countries....how did that work out?
I know I liked the 190A8 on WB but prefer 109's in AH, they seem opposites to me depending on which game...does anyone else feel this way, or similar about 2 different planes?
Off line you got airstarts.....was this used on line?

I dont think there is anything that could get me to pay to play WB's now.  I'm sure there are some guys over there who feel the same about AH.  I think they are wrong ;) :D

Once a Knight is Never Enough

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2003, 10:55:11 PM »
The two weeks is just that .. it starts the first time you enter the online arena's .
As for WB ive only played it offline and on the free weekends now an again..  it just didnt grow on me like this game has .

What i'm really glad about is there isnt all Flaming going on between the players bbs to everyone thats being adult about this !!!
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2003, 11:43:56 PM »
I really miss the litigious money-grubbing CEO without any love for the game or community.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2003, 12:07:14 AM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
I really miss the litigious money-grubbing CEO without any love for the game or community.

-- Todd/Leviathn

LOL... exactly!
sand

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2003, 05:32:23 AM »
Nice to see some old WB names in here. :)

Yes, WB had a four colour set up when I joined - Purple, Green, Red & Gold. I flew Purple, and met Lazs that way (1998). All sides had the same choice of planes, so you would see Spits fighting Spits, 190s fighting 190s etc. That was considered unrealistic, so they brought out the WW2A - Axis V Allied, and only two sides. But...

... the terrain/arena was set up for a four sided game. Suddenly each side had TWO ports and TWO cities. Would destruction of one city affect those airfields closest to the other? iEN never gave us any feedback. I had to fly a plane to one of the cities and bait the acks to see whether it was theirs or ours. Again, no input from iEN.

Many of us thought that we would like the Axis V Allied set up, and we liked the WW2A for a while. But the RPS was tinkered with in a way which meant that one side always had the upper hand. And that led to side switching to be on the side with the best planes available. The RPS began by favouring the Axis. There was a brief period of balance when the Spit ix came out to counter the 190A4, but then it was Allies all the way. The Allies had heavy bombers (B17,B24) and even the B25. I would fly the B17/B24 to 25K... but the best Axis buff was the ju88, which was wheezing at 12K. Add to that the Allies had excellent jabo planes which could up from the CV (F4U/F6F) which, having dropped their (2x1000#) bombs became formidable fighters, whereas the only Axis jabo plane that could operate off the CV was a Zeke, carrying 100# bombs. The 109s were lousy for jabo, and the 190s not much better. The A8 could at least carry a 500Kg bomb.

The result? By mid war, the sideswitchers were flying Allied. I once logged on to see the Axis down to one base. Not satisfied with outclassing the Axis with superior bombers, better fighters, and much more versatile planes off the CV, the Allies would outnumber the Axis 2-1. Part of the side balancing problem occurred because not all planes that flew in WW2 were modelled in WB. So it was always a struggle to provide balance, an effort that ultimately failed.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2003, 05:46:05 AM »

-- Todd/Leviathn

Damn. I only entered this thread to say the exact same thing, so now I have nothing to offer. Oh well.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2003, 07:43:41 AM »
I miss the added sounds like belly scrape, gun turret rotation, etc.

I also miss the limited DAR, seemed like it brought out more teamwork as someone recently killed would always give sitrep on incoming baddies from the tower.
 Plus ya hadda keep your head on a swivel to keep from getting bounced.

I also miss the interface screen that could tell you your kill streak, who last kilt ya and the names of your last five kills.