Author Topic: Thunderbolts: The Conquest of the Reich - Sunday, May 13 at 10pm ET/PT  (Read 155 times)

Offline Thirdup

• Zinc Member
(now this is "must see TV")

Thunderbolts: The Conquest of the Reich :
Toward the end of World War II, General Hap Arnold authorized the making of a color film on the activities of his forward strike air crews as the Allies closed in on Berlin. Over the course of 60 days, film crews captured the activities of the 362 Fighter Group, which destroyed over 6,000 German targets but suffered a nearly 50 percent casualty rate as the camera rolled. Deemed too brutal to show to the public, the film was shelved-until now. With the help of four of the pilots who appeared in the unreleased 1945 production, The History Channel presents this never-before-seen film that captures the actions and emotions of P-47 Thunderbolt crews above Germany over 55 years ago.

Airs Sunday, May 13 at 10pm ET/PT

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Thunderbolts: The Conquest of the Reich - Sunday, May 13 at 10pm ET/PT
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2001, 09:08:00 AM »
Damn,never read the BBS on week-ends, missed it, but I did order the tape (50 min long) and will bring it to the con, last year they had a TV set up showing WW2 footage, maybe this will add to the footage that Pyro has.

Offline NHFoxtro

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2001, 09:34:00 AM »
I checked History channel .com and they say its on again Monday at 2:00 am, but I'm gonna check the TV guide when I get home.I hope thats not the episode that aired late last nite.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2001, 12:34:00 AM »
I taped it.  

It was a great show and worth the effort to see it. Nice to see those guys shooting hell outa ground targets with those undermodeled 50's. I guess that RL gunnery with them was significantly better than AH modeling  

Imagine, taking out tiger tanks with 50 cal machine gunnery!  

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Degas

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2001, 07:14:00 AM »
Disturbing to watch the horses being blown apart.

But it was a great show  

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2001, 02:14:00 PM »
Degas,

While I almost understand your position on the shooting of horses from a "humane" point of view, I am not shocked or surprised that it happened. Horses have been used for military purposes for centuries. The Germans were reduced to extensive usage of horses late in the way due to the lack of fuel. That is also what kept many German fighters on the ground instead of defending against bombers. Those horse carts were used to transport munitions and supplies. The denial of that material shortened the war.

The statements of the pilots who were experiencing losses of their own ranks show their stand on it. Those horses were allowing the Germans to continue fighting just the same as if they were trucks instead. The longer the war lasted the more likely they were to become a casualty and not survive the conflict. If you deny the enemy the ability to continue the conflict, it ends that much sooner and human lives are saved. Frankly, I'd sacrifice hundreds of horses to save humans.

I am saddened by the fact that the war had to be fought far more than the loss of any horses. War by definition, is a waste and a tragedy.

Mav

[This message has been edited by Maverick (edited 05-15-2001).]
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2001, 05:07:00 PM »
"Disturbing to watch the horses being blown apart"

That's only because you haven't seen people blown apart.

Pilots should remember that all we do here is have fun in a game. No one should ever get any dillusions about their skills here indicating how great a combat pilot they would have been.

When your life, and your buddies lives, are on the line, it's a whole different ball game. Combat veterans that can survive their first battle have a much better chance of surviving a war. That's simply because they have become so horrified by what they've just experienced.

Enormous fear keeps you alive. You continue fighting on for the acceptance of the buddies in your unit. It's amazing even to yourself that you can actually volunteer for missions when you know you're scared to death. Desire must be stronger than fear.

This was an excellent film that shouldn't be missed. The tactics, maneuverability of those planes, the color shots, were the best I've seen.

The shooting up of those horses, however, only cracks open the door of realism.

Sorry for the speech

Ranger Bob

Offline Thirdup

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2001, 05:22:00 PM »
Air Warrior has exploding sheep.

....almost as disturbing.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2001, 05:54:00 PM »
Anyone have any info on if this is being aired in the UK at any time - or have I missed it?
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.