Author Topic: Digital Bit Pattern Generator, looking for freeware  (Read 264 times)

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Digital Bit Pattern Generator, looking for freeware
« on: July 24, 2003, 04:26:53 PM »
I am looking for a freeware program that lets you input binary encoding schemes and will convert it via a display into a wave pattern.  What I am looking for is something that will use schemes such as polar, bipolar, unipolar (with NZ and NRZ), B8ZS, HDB3 and the like.  Anyone know of such a program?  This would really help me out on a project I have going.  I have searched the net with no luck.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 04:42:28 PM »
Thats sounds vary  arbitrary unless you were looking for a pattern of some sort. You might want to look into the various tools that Linux has. Best thing to do is convert the binary value to numerical or gibrish then plot or graph it or the whole thing. Linux/UNIX is very versitile in this regard.

Try searching with linux+plot or linux+graph
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 04:44:58 PM by MrCoffee »

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 04:50:36 PM »
What I am trying to do is this:

I have binary that needs to be encoded with, lets say, Differential Manchester.

I take the code, in this case, 00110101101010011010101 and input it into the program.  It then takes the binary, uses the coding scheme, in this case Diff. Manchester, and spits out a graph of the wave form of this set of binary with this encoding scheme.  

I would like to have something that can do more than one type of encoding scheme with a graphic output.  

Hope that I am clearer this time.  Thanks for the response Mr Coffee.  Damn, now I need some...:D
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 05:06:43 PM »
If its raw data, have someone you know write it for you (the numerical translation from binary value) in Perl. If he understands how to read the raw data format in bytes etc..., he  could translate it for you to raw numerical value.

Heres something I found in case anyone is interested.

http://eet.etec.wwu.edu/etec475/LineCodes.pdf

This encoding scheme is sometimes using or generated by networking equipment (so I just found out). You may also want to look at various network graphing tools so see if there is something there for you.

Also GNU plot may take some interesting input formats.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 05:12:33 PM by MrCoffee »

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 05:57:20 PM »
Matlab, MathCAD, Excel (not sure if input file is binary or text)

http://www.tektronix.com/Measurement/Products/catalog/tdsocme1/eng/w.pdf
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 06:04:03 PM by MrCoffee »