Author Topic: Get rid of the dark  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Get rid of the dark
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2003, 08:59:47 PM »
Agree with Yeager. It's a total waste of time and pointless for what's billed as an ACM game based on day VFR fighters.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline bfreek

• Copper Member
Get rid of the dark
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2003, 11:21:49 PM »
billed as an acm game?

nuts !

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
Get rid of the dark
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2003, 10:19:39 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Agree with Yeager. It's a total waste of time and pointless for what's billed as an ACM game based on day VFR fighters.

VFR also exists at night.  Besides, where does it say anywhere in the AH blurb that it is based on day VFR aircraft?  Lots of accounts exist where unmodified fighters were used at night during WW2.

What you are complaining about is that it is harder to dogfight at night than in the day.  Guess you must get shot down too often at night and don't feel so invincible hey?

I agree that the game doesn't give us exactly what we need to take full advantage of night time (lack of adjustable cockpit lighting for one thing) but quit whining about something that only lasts for a few minutes of each day in the game.

Keep the night, it isn't broken, it gives variety.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 10:24:58 PM by Blue Mako »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Get rid of the dark
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2003, 11:49:39 AM »
Ah... no.

There's no basis in any of the various universes of reality for massive use of day VFR fighters in NIGHT combat. I'm sure you'll remember that bombing raids were switched to night (with even more horrendous results with respect to bombing accuracy) to get away from the day VFR fighter threat. That would be because there was essentially no threat from day VFR fighters operating against bombers at night. Ever heard of any massive  Day Fighter V Day Fighter combat at night in WW2 either? No, I didn't think you had.

My problem with it is that it gives me two options. Game the game with a gamma adjustment, which makes things barely usable... or don't game the game and have it be unusable, given my old eyes.

If you like night, well, good for you. How about making night start at say midnight Grapevine, Texas time and last till 0600 Grapevine time? Then those who love it can REALLY have an opportunity to fully enjoy it?

And the rest of us who don't can just play at the normal primetime hours in daylight... that time during which most of the day VFR fighters actually fought?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2003, 11:22:05 PM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Get rid of the dark
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2003, 01:58:46 PM »
I signed on last night... as usual its gettin dark AND I can't find an unporked base to fly from (anywhere near anywhere useful).  Worked out ok as by the time I got to a fight, night time was almost over.

Yay for night

Yay for fuel porks

Yay for HTC's statement through silence that everything is fine in Aces High.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline BNM

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.christian3x3.com/
Get rid of the dark
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2003, 04:53:22 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
If you like night, well, good for you. How about making night start at say midnight Grapevine, Texas time and last till 0600 Grapevine time? Then those who love it can REALLY have an opportunity to fully enjoy it?

NOOOOO! I'm in the same timezone as you and work nights. I'm up nights on days off too. That would ruin my nights. Just get rid of the blackscreen.

Do you think they have night ingame to save on bandwidth? ;)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Get rid of the dark
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2003, 05:14:36 AM »
Originally posted by Joc
Dump the night and keep the dusk/dawn,maybe even extend the length of duck/dawn,when night comes (usually at the only time of day I can play) I log,and I know a LOT of folks feel the same way,BIG turn off,hate it.

Certainly not for me ! berk :(

Dawn and dusk are the periods I'm complelty blind whatever gamma setting I try ... it's perhaps related to my color blindness ?

Offline Don

• Silver Member
Get rid of the dark
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2003, 11:44:44 AM »
You know the nighttime, is the right time babee :cool: