Author Topic: calling ACK-ACK and all P38 pilots!!  (Read 1003 times)

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
calling ACK-ACK and all P38 pilots!!
« on: August 05, 2003, 07:44:42 PM »
Hey Guys,

Been playing with the P38 alot, use to fly the Hog (F4U-1D) In the MA figured I needed the "zoom", accel, and low speed turning to try and survive in the MA. Love the payload.

Getting use to flap usage, but while digging thru the BB's for info (have all Ack-Acks films...love that double immel you pulled :) clover-leaf manuver, Sodas writ-ups and so on...) Have found a few mentions of how important it is for good throttle usage, espesically in the scissors.  Can you give me some tips on when I should be a-hammerin" the thing and when I should be layin off.

Having lots of fun in it, but want to learn more of her tricks!

Thanks for any help !!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 10:51:56 PM »
Check out these two films.

P-38 vs. C.205

P-38 Run

Ack-Ack
« Last Edit: August 06, 2003, 12:44:05 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2003, 01:30:42 AM »
depends on what you want to achive.

to reduce the turning circle you want to slow down and in an overshoot attemp you want to slow the forward movement, so reducing the throttle help you to slow down faster. Examples: scissors, "cutting" a corner to get a gun solution in higher speeds, turning inside a faster spit (he'll pull more angles around but the larger radius will bring him infront of your guns)...

In order to get the best turning rate you need to stay fast enough to pull max G (till blackout), so jamming the throttle forward prevent the speed from droping fast below the best corner speed.

that's true for all planes
Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 06:18:09 AM »
Ack-Ack, the 38 vs 205 gives me an "file not found"error, I got the other ok...

Bozon, so what your saying is to drop the throttles out just before your turn... any turn during the fight... and firewall it as soon as your back off the stick to keep your speed up. Have I got that right?

Thanks guys, keep it coming!!

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 09:34:17 AM »
turn rate in many cases is less important then turn radius. Many new players dont realise this and are shocked to see a p-47 turn inside their spit (and call you a cheat). it's not always about gaining angles - geometry counts as well.

drop the throttle when you are intentionally trying to bleed speed. the situations vary. But remember that you are giving up E so only do it as little as needed, and jam it forward once you got the required result (you turned inside the bandit or he overshot).

I fly the p-47 alot. every Joule of energy I loose there, won't come back easily. In the P-38, 109s, lalas (the good accelerators/climbers) you may allow yourself to slow down a little and then gain some E back fast enough.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2003, 12:44:32 PM »
Originally posted by MaddogJoe
Ack-Ack, the 38 vs 205 gives me an "file not found"error

Link fixed.

ack-ack

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2003, 05:53:44 PM »
Cool another 38 lover. I got some films I can send you, I think they will help alot.  I found the 38 is great in a 1 vs 1 duel. In the main the P38 seems to attract bad guys though specially when low. Then you get to play a game called how long can I stall alive lol. I got many films of the P38 though I think you would like alot if looked how one uses flaps and throttles. I do need a email though. Most my fights seem to be the 1 on 5s too lol

FBsmokey

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2003, 07:05:26 PM »
Ack-Ack, Ive read about that fight with the 205, tho I could never find a good link to it.... I'm glad you fixed it !!!  Great fight!! I think I would have started the scissor moves a bit earlier, due to all the tiffys around there !  LOL!!! but then again, you won the fight...who knows where Id have ended up. Did have a fight in the mountains agains an F4u-1, had him hurting, but bounced the props off the side of a mountain trying to cut it to close.... saving "E" LOL!!! tried to ditch fast and crashed it.

mia389, you can send films to maddogjoe@charter.net. 1 vs 5 sounds like my style of fighting these days !! anything ya got would be good... tired of watchin AckAck wipe the floor with everyone !  ;)  Interested in throttle usage tho, starting to get the hang of flaps. I did notice that AckAck doesn't have a set of rules as to when to he deploys flaps and how much.... 200mph - 1 notch, 175mph  - 2 notches and so on. It looks like he goes on a "feel", and that is what I'm working on now.... got enough things to watch with-out having to watch the speedo all the time !

Thanks again everyone!

Offline Happy1

• Nickel Member
P38 Films
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2003, 08:08:00 PM »
mia389  :)

Pls send the films to Happy2@JoiMail.com, 1 vs 5 sounds good ...
likewise I'd like to LEARN MORE about Throttle Usage & Flaps.

Thx 4 ur courtesies.

Happy1 :D

Offline TheManx

• Copper Member
      • http://4wingonline.com
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2003, 01:10:10 AM »
You guys make the 38 sound so complicated :cool:

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2003, 06:07:26 AM »
Well Manx, Make it sound easy !!!  Give us some tips !!! :D

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2003, 12:31:20 PM »
Sorry guys took so long I just sent them out, I hope they help you.

FBsmokey

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2003, 04:12:47 PM »
Originally posted by MaddogJoe
I did notice that AckAck doesn't have a set of rules as to when to he deploys flaps and how much.... 200mph - 1 notch, 175mph  - 2 notches and so on. It looks like he goes on a "feel", and that is what I'm working on now....

I actually do have a guideline on when to use flaps, it's just that after a long time of flying the P-38, it's become more of a guide than a rule.  Here it is and as you go on, you'll start to get the feel as to when you need to use flaps or not.

250-200mph - 1 notch
175-150mph - 2 notches
125-100mph - 3 notches
Below 100mph - full flaps

Raise the flaps as you gain speed, don't rely on the auto-retractor to raise the flaps for you, this may cause you to go into a spin.  Also, be careful that you don't over-speed in a turn fight when you have flaps deployed, this too can cause the flaps to auto-retract and throw you into a spin.  As you'll find out, the auto-retracting system is a pile of bull scat and it's a major hinderance in the P-38 and not realistic (at least with regards to the P-38).

ack-ack
« Last Edit: August 08, 2003, 05:04:36 PM by Ack-Ack »

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2003, 04:46:14 PM »
Thanks for the films FBsmokey !! loaded up and ready to view after  I sent the thank-you  :)

Thanks for the speed chart Ack-Ack. I was starting to deploy once I hit 200 didn't think starting at 250 would work, I'll have to change that a bit.

Now if I can stay away from the gang bangs for a bit while I practice up.... LOL!!! What am I saying !!! :D

Thanks Guys !!