Author Topic: Ignorance  (Read 552 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Ignorance
« on: August 07, 2000, 08:57:00 AM »
If you were talking to me yesterday afternoon/evening, my apologies for not answering ,I had to leave the terminal to take my 2 year old into the emergency room to get stitched up, he took a header into an endtable on his forehead and required 8 stitches (2 internal, and 6 external), nailed it right to the skull. Evidently he and my 4 year old were dancing in the family room(4 feet from my office) and Reilly got tripped up with footing, and down he went. He's fine now but his forehead will be alittle sore for awhile.
Bet the guy who shot me down was wondering why I was flying straight and level!

------------------
Ripsnort(-rip1-)
=CO= VMF-323 ~Death Rattlers~
"Know your limits and then go beyond.."
Click here for VMF-323 Death Rattlers info
Click here for 15th Panzer info

I spare no class or cult or  creed,
My course is endless through the year.
I bow all heads and break all hearts,
All owe homage-I am Fear.

-------------General Patton

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 08-07-2000).]

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Ignorance
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2000, 09:06:00 AM »
(Those with little ones feel free to wince at this story)  

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
Ignorance
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2000, 09:22:00 AM »
(Those of us with grown ones are wincing also.)

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Ignorance
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2000, 10:30:00 AM »
Eeek, rip

Glad to hear he is fine, sounded pretty awful  

So *that* was where you went when we had a strike on 20  

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

RUQWICK

Ignorance
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2000, 10:43:00 AM »
Kids and ER is one of lifes little horror's
My oldest son when he was 5 or 6 was coming up the concrete stairs from the back yard and he triped and hit his cheak just below the eye. As the SCREEM was heard from Dallas to Houston I Lept from my Chair to see what was going on. Let me tell ya OLE CAST IRON NERVE DAD FREAKED! I got him to the ER and they stitched up ( luckly just 3 ) and My son took it like a champ. They said return in two weeks to have them removed and to keep a band aid on it. Two weeks passed and not a hitch, So I return to the Hospital with my boy in tow to have the stiches removed. Once again he took it like a pro, He sat compleatly still and not even a wimper.After It was all done My son ask if we could go to the Play ground at the Hospital. I Sure why not. Opon arival to the park his first thing was the swing. So he was swinging and goin higher and higher and then he said "DAD WATCH THIS" He Jumped out or the swing at the top of its axis. He made a perfect two point landing and he turned to see my reaction. About that time the swing came back and before i could say anything he got clobbered in the other cheek. Needless to say we had to return for a little more facial needle point.
my son is now 13 and we have made a few more trips to the ER for stiches but every time OLE CAST IRON NERVE DAD turns to Paper Plate nellie. hehe.
Kids are the true life adventure!!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Ignorance
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2000, 10:51:00 AM »
Ruqwick, LOL!  Thanks for sharing that, so, the nervous 'shaking' I had while holding him  while trying  to stop the bleeding was normal? Good!  I feel better!

Yes Santa, thats why!

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
Ignorance
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2000, 11:08:00 AM »
I see Rip that you live in the state of Washington.  I hope the police didn't come and investigate for child abuse.

My brother lives in Colorado and afew years back he lost his 1 1/2 year old son.  The child had a genetic defect that was very rare and was being watched by doctors all over the world.  The day of his death the police were all over their house investigating and treating the family as criminals!!!  They were in total distress!!!!    Their minister came to the house and dragged the police outside to explain.  I feel for those that have things happen to their kids as the authorities seem to think that all parents are evil and just can't wait to hurt their kids!!!

Some in our society go way overboard sometimes!!!  

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Ignorance
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2000, 11:15:00 AM »
Interesting enough, the paramedics that the neighbors called were doing alittle 'inquiry' themselves, checking out the table he bonked his head on, asking a series of questions, etc.  I didn't see any harm in that, my wife  has worked in a pediatric intensive care unit for 11 years now, and has see all aspects of child abuse....I think keys questions should be asked, as long as  they are not make accusations on the spot...this protects all parties involved.  As far a CPS goes, you know the reputation that Wash. state CPS has, I need not say any more on THAT pathetic tax-payer blunder.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Ignorance
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2000, 11:38:00 AM »
I was at a Thanksgiving day dinner once with a friend (while in the military).  One of his sons had a temper-tantrum at the table and threw down his fork.  The fork bounced off of the table and hit him directly in the center of his forehead where it stuck.

We could not pull the fork out of his head.  It was really in there.  Try to imagine the looks you get taking your son into an emergency room with a fork sticking out of his head.

AKDejaVu

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Ignorance
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2000, 11:59:00 AM »
been there, done that.  When my daughter was not quite 2 she thought she was ready to run.  Ran outta couch, tripped over her feet, and banged the edge of a glasstop coffee table (that was in the corner out of the traffic zones even).  3 stitches right across the bridge of her nose.

Not quite a year ago she goes running through the living and goes to hook the corner into the hall and into the bathroom.  A few minutes before she had taken off her clothes and thrown them in the floor, right next to the hall.  Foot on the clothes, feet out from under her, and forehead bangs the corner of the wall (metal corner bead on a drywall).  This time was 4.

Both times they asked what I assumed to be standard-type questions, which I think is a good idea if, as Rip said, they aren't making accusations.

Ruqwick, DJV, those sound like stories have a laugh with the kids over when they get into thier teens (or totally embarrass them in front of the friends).

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Ignorance
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2000, 11:59:00 AM »
 Before you start accusing other people try for a moment imagine himself in their shoes.

Police are not called a few times a day to the nice houseparties. They are called a few times a day to crimescenes and see several cased of child abuse every week/day. To them it is normal because that is what they see most of the time.
 Their reality differs a lot from our reality where bleeding childern are a rear accident and child abuse is something we read about in the newspapers.

Those policemen I saw tried to be corteous even though the most polite questions will seem accusatory to a family in distress.  Remembering to respect the officers and understanding that they are not doing that for fun would help not to take offence.
 It is not easy at such times and policemen take a lot of abuse for doing their duty. Well, they are trained for that too...

Rip,
 My sympathies for your distress. That is what you get for having childrens. When things like that happen, I start appreciating my parent's more. They do tell us things but we do not believe until we get a few stitches of our own  

My wife and me took a niece rollerbalading and we had to jump on the sidewalk to avoid a car. The niece tripped and my wife did not let go of her hand, so the girl hit the pavement with her face. No broken bones, but her face was a mess. Once we realised she was OK, we seriously considered kidnapping her for a few months rather then show her to the parents...

miko--

[This message has been edited by miko2d (edited 08-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by miko2d (edited 08-07-2000).]

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Ignorance
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2000, 12:36:00 PM »
Oh, man... I was one of the "I want to fly" kids when I was a tiny baby. I have had any and all accidents you can imagine on a non-stoppable baby, some of them could have really had dramatic consequences...

Ripsnort, I am glad your kid is OK now   Hope you never have another thing like this happening.  

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Ignorance
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2000, 12:47:00 PM »
 Good kids usually have no fear of anything. It's a reflection of thier healthy self confidence and also due no less to the unwavery trust that thier parent(s) will keep them safe. Every now and then they have accidents. Glad this was nothing serious Rip. Get em back up dancing!!  

-Westy

(dad to a 3 1/2 yr old boy! and damn proud of him too. But "NO BOUNCING ON THE BED!!")

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
Ignorance
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2000, 01:05:00 PM »
The current state of affairs is that you are guilty.  It took a 3rd party to assure the police that what had happened was expected!!

I just feel that police all over your house investigating people that have just lost a child is just plain insensitive!!

We as a people have demanded that the police act in such a way by the laws we have passed.

Do a little search about the Washington state CPS and you will get a feel of how this state thinks children are the property of the State!!  Out of control is a nice way of putting it.

[This message has been edited by 1776 (edited 08-07-2000).]

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Ignorance
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2000, 01:10:00 PM »
Glad to here all is well Rip, I don't think we get our "parent infantry badges" till that 1st ER trip. you know your a pro when you go in and tell the triage nurse "my son/daughter needs X...and your right . I've reached that walk in/walk out comfort zone....it's all the Wheel in and get admitted traffic that makes you give an extra hug and think , their but for the grace of god....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson