Author Topic: Harley-Davidson  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Snork

• Copper Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2003, 06:57:52 AM »
Originally posted by Bonden
I took the baffles outta my Vance & Hines short shots last week - good fun but the power curve changes a bit and, I gotta admit it's a bit obnoxious. Ill put em back in one of these days....... :)

That's what Harleys are for! Make lots of noise, just like as if you were a man! You need to practice a lot to get the "Harley Sneer" going.
Flying as Noser

Offline Bonden

• Nickel Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2003, 07:03:08 AM »
Hehe - the sneer cracks me up sometimes. You can watch someones expression change as soon as the helmet goes on.

Goes from this :D to :mad: in an instant.

As far as the noise goes, Im quite comfortable with myself thank you very much.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2003, 08:40:20 AM »
When I quit ridin.... you would come out of the bare and maybe 4-20 of you would all try to start your 10-40 year old bikes... you didn't have to try your key (what key?) in ten black bikes that all looked alike cause no bike there looked like any other.   If you could start the damn thing you were probly sober enough to ride it.   Real Harleys have kick starters.

Harley shops would call the cops if you came around.

cops wouldn't pull you over even if you didn't have lights mufflers or even plates if you were in a group of a dozen or so...

People came out of their houses (or peeked out the curtains)to look when they heard a Harley or 10 go by...

Harleys broke down... most of em,95% were 20 years old or older with maybe 50 thousand hard miles on em and repaired with used or stolen parts.   If mine didn't start in 3 kicks I was shocked... either I was too loaded or the there was something really badly wrong.

Girls on honda 50's wore helmets and so did guys at the track.   No one else did.   Girls and accountants didn't ride Harleys.   Black guys had their own clubs with dresser Hogs.

not sure if those were the good ol days or not... they just were.
lazs

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2003, 12:22:23 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
When I quit ridin.... you would come out of the bare and maybe 4-20 of you would all try to start your 10-40 year old bikes... you didn't have to try your key (what key?) in ten black bikes that all looked alike cause no bike there looked like any other.   If you could start the damn thing you were probly sober enough to ride it.   Real Harleys have kick starters.

Harley shops would call the cops if you came around.

cops wouldn't pull you over even if you didn't have lights mufflers or even plates if you were in a group of a dozen or so...

People came out of their houses (or peeked out the curtains)to look when they heard a Harley or 10 go by...

Harleys broke down... most of em,95% were 20 years old or older with maybe 50 thousand hard miles on em and repaired with used or stolen parts.   If mine didn't start in 3 kicks I was shocked... either I was too loaded or the there was something really badly wrong.

Girls on honda 50's wore helmets and so did guys at the track.   No one else did.   Girls and accountants didn't ride Harleys.   Black guys had their own clubs with dresser Hogs.

not sure if those were the good ol days or not... they just were.
lazs

Lazs if I recall you don't drink but if you make FunkedUps suare and so do I I'll bring you to one of the last real biker bars in the S.F. Bay Area. It's swamped by accountants and such on weekend nights (well it was 4+ years ago - the last time I was there/in the area/etc.) but on weekday afternoons it was home to some 'interesting' characters doing some heavy drinking. I guess it makes sense - on a weekend night they are probably at their own place with their own women. :)

Another question for you (or anyone who can answer) - I saw 'Easy Rider' for the first time ever a few months back. At the beginning of the movie they throw their watches away. Is this a 'biker' thing? If so, what is the significance?

Mike/wulfie

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2003, 01:25:56 PM »
My dad used to take off his watch the first day of vacation and put it in the glove compartment of the car for the entire vacation.... probly something like that in the movie but..... I never seen any of the guys I was with that owned a  wrist watch... seen a pocket watch once.   The bikes in easy rider were pretty much what you seen back then (minus the flag paint)... krylon black was the hot color cause you could touch up easy enough.

Lots of little stuff was done back then like "trust no one" tatoo in chinnese (how the hell did they know what it said if they didn't read chinnese?)   1%   FTW... Had to get a kinda large dragon put on to cover up some of that old sh** recently.   Of the dozen guys I grew up with and then rode with..... all are dead... President of the banshees died 3 months ago.    I even was in the boy scouts with him.   He was the last of the old crowd.

I don't drink or do drugs anymore, rarely have a reason to be in a bar but have no problem with going with other people... long as they don't want to homestead the place.

I can bore you to tears with stories of the old days given half a chance.
lazs

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2003, 03:38:23 PM »
Ever frequent the "Sweet Springs Saloon" Lazs?

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2003, 01:46:12 AM »
Originally posted by wulfie
Lazs if I recall you don't drink but if you make FunkedUps suare and so do I I'll bring you to one of the last real biker bars in the S.F. Bay Area. It's swamped by accountants and such on weekend nights (well it was 4+ years ago - the last time I was there/in the area/etc.) but on weekday afternoons it was home to some 'interesting' characters doing some heavy drinking. I guess it makes sense - on a weekend night they are probably at their own place with their own women. :)

Another question for you (or anyone who can answer) - I saw 'Easy Rider' for the first time ever a few months back. At the beginning of the movie they throw their watches away. Is this a 'biker' thing? If so, what is the significance?

Mike/wulfie

The Steel Horse Saloon in Phoenix is a true biker bar to this day.... it's a Hells Angels bar but "normal" people are still safe there.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2003, 01:51:02 AM »
I can bore you to tears with stories of the old days given half a chance.

Tell some Laz, would be interesting.

How old are you anyway? :)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2003, 08:45:48 AM »
one story I still like is... one day we were all sitting around... er... every day... and some guy was showing his new Tat with it's string of chinese letters.  I noticed that most of the guys tats were slightly different.   I told the guy that he was pretty brave to put that on his arm seeing as how he was going to court soon and facing 5 years min hard time.   He asked why and I told him "cause of what you had tattooed on your arm"   He said "trust no one?"  I said.... "you think that is what it says?"  "what do you mean?"  .... welll says I... I only read mandarin (I don't but I read books so they thought I knew everything)   but in mandarin it says "I like to take it up the butt."

much howling and knashing of teeth...  still makes me chuckle... kinda feel sorry for that chinaman tho... last I seen was 3 or four of the guys with the same tats all piling into the lincoln (after putting on long sleeved shirts) and heading for the tato parlor..

Hard as this is to believe... lot's of bikers considered me to be mean spirited.

I was an "independent" and would take off by myself for weeks... some good times on that bike.   Still.... growing up with the clubbers let me ride with em when I wanted and that had it's moments.
lazs

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2003, 09:09:18 AM »
It's the NOISE issue.  If other motor vehicles were allowed the same decibels the nation would be deaf.

I asked an HD dealer about that.  He said their stock bikes are within noise limits.  It's the mods that do the thunder.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline rc51

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2003, 10:38:32 AM »
lets face it Harley Has a large share Of the market so they must be doing something right:D
Happy B day Harley Davidson:cool:

Offline Snork

• Copper Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2003, 11:00:13 PM »
Originally posted by rc51
lets face it Harley Has a large share Of the market so they must be doing something right:D
Happy B day Harley Davidson:cool:

Proving that no one has ever gone broke underestimating the taste of the American buying public.
Flying as Noser

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2003, 11:31:16 PM »
Originally posted by Snork
Proving that no one has ever gone broke underestimating the taste of the American buying public.
That doesn't make any sense.

And... if it means what I think you're trying to say... I wonder if you've ever seen the reaction a Harley Davidson gets in virtually any foreign country.

MiniD

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2003, 01:39:30 AM »
Originally posted by Halo
It's the NOISE issue.  If other motor vehicles were allowed the same decibels the nation would be deaf.

I asked an HD dealer about that.  He said their stock bikes are within noise limits.  It's the mods that do the thunder.

What that Harley dealer told you is true, I don't care for the loud pipes either. Sure, they sound cool for about 2 or 3 minutes but sure would get tiresome after a bit. The loud pipes also begets sour looks from the populace too. I prefer the quieter pipes myself, especially since I come home anywhere from midnight to 2:30 in the morning.
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!