Author Topic: What was your first car?  (Read 2711 times)

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
What was your first car?
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2003, 04:40:37 AM »
1939 Pontiac.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
What was your first car?
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2003, 05:15:57 AM »
Originally posted by aztec
1939 Pontiac.

That wouldn't happen to be a 1939 Pontiac Aztec would it? :D
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
What was your first car?
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2003, 05:24:55 AM »
LOL, Heaven forbid! :)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
What was your first car?
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2003, 09:08:06 AM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Thanks gofaster. One other cool thing about the IH Travelall, it had tough old plastic seats (bench of course) and rubber mat floors. You could actually clean the thing out with a hose. And I did... many times.

Of all the cars I've ever owned (too many to count now) I think this is the one I'd like to have and drive today.

Wow, did the plastic seats have that thick vinyl feel to them?  You know, like on cheap barstools and diner booth benches?  I think those seats were virtually indestructable, at least until the sun bleached them out and they cracked.  

The seats in my Mazda truck were white perforated vinyl bench, which I replaced with hi-back black vinyl buckets (as a safety measure, so I wouldn't crack my head open on the glass on the back of the cab in the event of a rear-end collision).  The rims were painted to match the body, but had those little chrome dish hubcaps over the lugnuts.  It looked like a little toy truck, lots of character to it, just a simple red pick-up with absolutely no creature comfort to it and probably a deathtrap.  The Mazda had these rubber plugs in the floor that I could open up to drain the cab in the event of liquid spills, but I never had to use them.

They don't make vehicles like that anymore.

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
What was your first car?
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2003, 09:32:19 AM »
First Car -  75 Vega GT, 4speed, white.    Bought it in 77 for $1500.  Read Hot Rod magazine and dreamed of dropping in the small block,  never did it,  ended up trading it in for a 69 Olds Cutlass Convertible with 350 4brl in 79, that ended its life wrapped around a tree in 82.    
Wish I still had that car.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
What was your first car?
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2003, 09:36:25 AM »
Frodo, I had a plan when I bought the Falcon wagon.  :)

6 months later I bought a 67 Mustang Fastback w/289 and auto.  Went to the wrecking yard, got a 289 from it, rebuilt that engine into a 9,000rpm monster, backed by a Ford Top loader 4 speed and dropped that into the Mustang.
Now, took the Falcon rear end and put it under the Mustang (better gear ratio and yes the read axle for a Falcon is the same for the Mustang).  Took the 289 from the Mustang, beefed it a bit and dropped it in the Falcon with a B&M torque converter and a B&M kit for the C4 auto.

By the time it was all done, the Mustang would trip the lights at about mid 11's, and the Falcon would hit the low 13's pretty consistently.

Then in my Senior year in high school I obtained my 69 Road Runner.  And that was my monster car.  First time to trip the lights in the high 10's.

At any given time when I was growing up, there were 7 vehicles at our house (3 mine, 1 for sis, 2 for Dad (he was a hot rodder too), 1 for Mom).  Needless to say, the folks were really happy to see me move out.  :D
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
What was your first car?
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2003, 09:39:27 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
I bought a 67 Mustang Fastback

et tu, Skuzzy? :(
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
What was your first car?
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2003, 10:02:29 AM »
Vauxhall Viva 1969 (aka Viva HB).
I was going to buy a 2,3liter Viva Magnum HC after that but then I came to my senses and bought a Volvo 343.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
What was your first car?
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2003, 11:09:00 AM »
Mercury Cougar(79?)...It was like driving a tank.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
What was your first car?
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2003, 11:17:57 AM »
My first car was a 1971 VW Super Beetle, with the "Shift O'matic" transmission. I bought it in 1982, having just aquired my license.

Within the first five minutes of owning it, I allowed the car to roll backwards down a driveway while shifting, and promptly jammed the transmission in reverse!

So, with my father leading the way in his truck on back country roads, I drove the thing 6 miles, all backwards, to a repair shop.

Still can't believe I survived through high school driving this car. There was no motorized fan in the thing, so the faster you drove, the more heat you got out of it in winter! And don't even think about air conditioning, that didn't exist.

I was lucky never to get into an accident with that car, as the only protection for me besides my seat belt in front, was the gas tank! That's right, the gas tank was up front. Wonder what genious engineer dreamed up that configuration!

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
What was your first car?
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2003, 11:20:31 AM »
Originally posted by banana
My first car was a 1971 VW Super Beetle... That's right, the gas tank was up front. Wonder what genious engineer dreamed up that configuration!

I am guessing Prof. Ferd. Porsche!! LOL

Offline loser

• Silver Member
What was your first car?
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2003, 11:45:19 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Frodo, I had a plan when I bought the Falcon wagon.  :)

6 months later I bought a 67 Mustang Fastback w/289 and auto.  Went to the wrecking yard, got a 289 from it, rebuilt that engine into a 9,000rpm monster, backed by a Ford Top loader 4 speed and dropped that into the Mustang.
Now, took the Falcon rear end and put it under the Mustang (better gear ratio and yes the read axle for a Falcon is the same for the Mustang).  Took the 289 from the Mustang, beefed it a bit and dropped it in the Falcon with a B&M torque converter and a B&M kit for the C4 auto.

By the time it was all done, the Mustang would trip the lights at about mid 11's, and the Falcon would hit the low 13's pretty consistently.

Then in my Senior year in high school I obtained my 69 Road Runner.  And that was my monster car.  First time to trip the lights in the high 10's.

At any given time when I was growing up, there were 7 vehicles at our house (3 mine, 1 for sis, 2 for Dad (he was a hot rodder too), 1 for Mom).  Needless to say, the folks were really happy to see me move out.  :D

Haha skuzzy.  That reminds me of my parent's house.  Back when my brother and I lived at home:

Dad's 95 Chevy Truck
Mom's 99 Corolla
Brother's 99 Sunflower
Brother's 68 GTX
Brother's 76 Suzuki 500
My 99 Grand Am
My 70 Duster
My 85 Honda Nitehawk 650

And a driveway with room enough for one car.

A good friend is one with extra garage space. :D

Oh, and my first car was a 1976 Pontiac Lemans 2 Door.
350 4V that i tricked out a bit.  Picked it up from a super old guy whose lawn i cut.  I think it had something like 32,000 miles on it when i got it for $800 CDN dollars. And it was mint.

Only real option it had was A/C, but I never used it.  Those old compressors were huge and drained your HP and gas mileage too much.  I think I even tore the whole thing off eventually.

Anyway it met it's fate when a underhood fire consumed most of the front of the car and dash.  Dang I miss that car.

Next car was the 1970 Plymouth Duster.
FM3 Panther Pink/Moulin Rouge (original factory colour)
318 (switched to 340)
904 auto (switched to 727)
7 1/4 inch rear end (switched to 8 3/4)

It is currently broken though

:(

Offline Jack55

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
What was your first car?
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2003, 12:21:53 PM »
1983 Pontiac Grand Prix

It was a piece of crap, and was my only American car.  I've owned a couple of Toyotas and a VW since.

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
What was your first car?
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2003, 12:23:14 PM »
Oh so see who can fill up a driveway?

1979, my parents driveway/slash front yard

1975 Vega Gt, Me
1976 Chevy P/U, Dad
1972 Ford LTD Country Squire Wagon - Mom
1977 Ford LTD II - Mom
1963 Chevy Impala Station Wagon - inherited when grandmother died
1965 Mustang - Sister's car
1967 Camero (6cyl) Dad's project
1974 Pinto Station wagon - Dad's backup
1978 Chevy Big 10 454 P/U -  Grandfather's truck
1972 International P/U
1968 El Camino
Massey-Ferguson tractor
Oliver Tractor

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
What was your first car?
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2003, 12:42:01 PM »
MajTom...was there an old toilet and washing machine out there too?:p
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain