Author Topic: 5 minutes wait  (Read 548 times)

Offline A_Clown

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
5 minutes wait
« on: August 28, 2003, 06:34:32 PM »
In an attempt to combat the kamikaze efforts that now IMO harm AH, a simple 5 minute wait mandated between crashing & re-upping would work?
 So if you got shot down you can re-up immediately but any plane that crashes would be subject to 5 minutes?

Might also be applied to only the MA since kamikaze isnt a problem anywhere else. Another possible perk to this idea is that newbies crash alot, this would make the TA a better place to learn NOT TO CRASH. Newbies MIGHT actually TRAIN in  the TA.

Just a random thought- I am sure it isnt practical---
A_Clown

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
5 minutes wait
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 07:17:45 PM »
May the moaning, crying and gnashing of teeth commence!  

(Actually a great idea... but god forbid anyone be forced to take a realistic... or remotely realistic approach)
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
5 minutes wait
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 07:21:54 PM »
A_Clown ...

Do a search on "kamikazie" and you will see this suggestion and many others ... not saying its a bad idea (I don't like it) but this topic has been discussed to death.

You must be new ... Welcome <>
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
5 minutes wait
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 08:22:51 PM »
 I'll say it.  This idea sucks.  :)

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
5 minutes wait
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 10:43:20 PM »
Obviously you guys have not tried the open beta by "TW".

If you had you'd think nothing of a 5 min wait.

Idea has merit, but its been discussed to death endlessly in the last 3 + years.

Worth a try though.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
5 minutes wait
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 11:01:17 PM »
How bout you cant take ordenance for 5 minutes after a death...

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
5 minutes wait
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 11:40:28 PM »
Yes lets punish death with a 5 minute wait...

Oh hey... errmm hmm look at all them 25-30k runstangs and run90's....

oh oh there's one below me... damn he's running home...  

Leave the MA alone, put the 5 minute wait in the CT or TOD...

SKurj

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
5 minutes wait
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2003, 12:15:59 AM »
The TOD isnt gonna be a "die and re-up a million times" arena

Offline T0J0

• Silver Member
5 minutes wait
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2003, 07:23:04 AM »
Wouldn't a five minute wait also promote even more fleeing from a 1 vs 1...?

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
5 minutes wait
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2003, 09:28:05 AM »
Deja vu view. :D  MA`s fine, but  RUTT is a different story. RUTT, Martha Stewart is a total babe and I don`t give a rat`s behind what you say about her. :D
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline A_Clown

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
5 minutes wait
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2003, 01:32:01 PM »
Yea, its a dead horse. I never expected to invoke change, i've learned that its not up to the players what changes will/wont be made.
 It was just a random thought, posted for peer review. I do like the 5minute ord suggestion, I think that is indeed a better idea than mine. But the fact that if my idea was inducted into MA, it would help to promote the use of TA by newbies, was just too much to let  go by unposted. I'm surprised no one made note of that aspect ;) "how do i (insert any simple action here)?"

BTW im not new, this is an alias I use when on the work puter.
A_Clown
« Last Edit: August 29, 2003, 01:57:03 PM by A_Clown »

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
5 minutes wait
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2003, 02:18:30 PM »
Originally posted by Rutilant
The TOD isnt gonna be a "die and re-up a million times" arena

Why because people are all of a sudden give a watermelon about “rank” and “living” because it has TOD in the title?

How am I going to get penalized for not completing the mission?  Oh, yeah, I’m not going to get rank.  How’s that going to stop a kamikaze that doesn’t care about rank but wants to make an impact?  Is the game engine going to know that it was a lone P38 that dropped on the fuel?  Are you going to kick players you think might be “problems” out of the mission?  Is that functionality even going to be coded.

I really don’t think its going to be what you all think its going to be…

Just my opinion though, I have been wrong before :).

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
5 minutes wait
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2003, 02:57:07 PM »
You get demoted.. get demoted enough and you're send back into training (whatever it may be) hopefully it's grueling enough to keep the newbie suiciders out.. hopefully it won't be worth going through over and over again. Plus, it's only once per mission, because you can only up once.. Makes sense, no?

GVs might be more lenient, but hell, hard to suicide pork stuff in a panzer any differently than one would pork in one trying to live. ;)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
5 minutes wait
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2003, 06:28:35 AM »
Originally posted by Zippatuh
Why because people are all of a sudden give a watermelon about “rank” and “living” because it has TOD in the title?

How am I going to get penalized for not completing the mission?  Oh, yeah, I’m not going to get rank.  How’s that going to stop a kamikaze that doesn’t care about rank but wants to make an impact?  Is the game engine going to know that it was a lone P38 that dropped on the fuel?  Are you going to kick players you think might be “problems” out of the mission?  Is that functionality even going to be coded.

I really don’t think its going to be what you all think its going to be…

Just my opinion though, I have been wrong before :).
Not necessarily to do with rank. I think the point that was being made is that the current AH steamroller technique of pork-n-auger, rinse and repeat isn't going to work in TOD because you'll take off when given a clearance for the mission to begin. A great idea - if only it would work. But my gut feeling is that the game is so full of wanktardz that the novelty will quickly wear off, and the tardz will migrate to the Classic "bums on seats" arena, full of likeminded guys who want nothing more than to pummel a fire button and make stuff go "BOOM".

Offline A_Clown

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
5 minutes wait
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2003, 05:23:46 PM »
Lets hope it works.