Author Topic: CT suggestion re base capture  (Read 1845 times)

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
CT suggestion re base capture
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2003, 07:35:25 PM »
You are correct sirrrrr....yessssss!!
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2003, 07:45:23 PM »
And here I thought maybe Bob DeNiro was making a new movie.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2003, 07:49:25 PM »
He is.  It's called "We're No Angels II".  Straight to video I heard...
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2003, 08:39:46 PM »
While we are on the subject of closing a field.... one little point I would like to bring up that AH really needs to address.

BOMB CRATERS

You ever notice how you can taxi your aircraft right over a bomb crater on the field and it doesn't do anything?

While blowing up hangars was always a major plus - one of the most used methods of closing a airfield in all the major wars of the past was simply to make the runways or fields unuseable by cratering them so planes couldn't take off or taxi.

In WARBIRDS this was an actual tactic. You put enough bombs around the where the planes spawned and they weren't going anywhere - the field was effectively closed. There were several spawn points so one bomb couldn't close down a whole field - you had to really crater the place up. Just like in a real attack.

Would like to see this in the new version of AH.
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2003, 09:19:40 PM »
Have always wondered about that too Jester.

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
Re: CT suggestion re base capture
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2003, 06:28:30 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
i've brought this up to individual CT staffers, but never here...

we all know some maps are more "milky" than others, i think it might be a good idea to make base capture require 15, 20, even 25 troops. this doesn't prevent serious base captures, but it does reduce the ability of 1 or 2 people to milk.

the time frame for the troops to capture could even been shortened.

i'd start with 15 to see the effect that has.

just a suggestion...  chime in with your .02

Absolutely.

Make it a team effort or nothing.

Sakai
"The P-40B does all the work for you . . ."

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
LOOK
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2003, 08:57:44 PM »
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2003, 09:22:34 PM »
Your absolutely right Sakai,

Couple of Milkrunners have ruined the map.  Make base capture hard enough that only a team can do it.  Say at least 3-4 working together.

If ya don't want to work as team, Go to the MA.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2003, 10:14:03 PM »
ACHTUNG CT FAITHFUL!

Your constant B**chinging...er...suggestion input has not gone unheard by your friendly neighborhood CT Staffer.

So...While it is on my set-up...

For the "last two days of the scenario" - I will be raising the ammount of troops to capture a base to 15 TROOPS as a test.

IF things work out well we may keep it that way - if not it will revert to the old setting of 10 troops to capture a field.
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2003, 11:54:17 PM »
Good deal Jester, thank you.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2003, 11:56:10 PM »
Originally posted by Jester
ACHTUNG CT FAITHFUL!
For the "last two days of the scenario" - I will be raising the amount of troops to capture a base to 15 TROOPS as a test.

good idea, thx for at least trying.

hope you'll reset arena to the default bases first, tho'
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Dennis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2003, 03:14:44 AM »
Thanks for giving it a go, jester.

And, um .... you'll never guess what squad was in there running the bases at 3 a.m. CDT Tuesday.

:rolleyes:

Splash1

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2003, 05:04:56 AM »
5:00 am : Well ... Splurts said he only milked one. Then he squealed on his buddy "HACKMAN". Only one of them in UDET. Rus fields down to 10. Hopefully they stay dedicated to reseting the map. If not, it'll be an interesting primetime reaction. Hehe. Oh well. Splurts said he had a life but he's on holiday. ;)

Eh ... it's a game. Someone'll fix it when enough noise is made. :D

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
ditto
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2003, 06:34:41 AM »
Originally posted by Shane
good idea, thx for at least trying.

hope you'll reset arena to the default bases first, tho'

check arena this morning 4 russian bases left - fin/germ milkrunners busy last night :(

please reset room
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2003, 06:49:12 AM »
I think it would be wrong to make what is essentially the whole art of attacking an enemy (i.e. where he is weakest) into something deemed wrong.

In WW2 they tried to attack with suprise and where they werent expected. Even more so because they actually died if they screwed up.

Milkrunning can be annoying but it can also be enjoyable to do if you log on and dont feel like huge battles. I think all players should be allowed to play as they see fit. Remember some players arent as good at the game as others. Why should they be forced to fight and consistantly die to a superior player just because that 'superior player' doesnt want to have to move around defending his bases?

I think you guys are being just a tad selfish but i do understand your feelings about losing bases minutes after you fight hard to take them because some dweeb takes a m3 in before the base respawns. It DOES suck yes! but in the end its up to you to look for the sods :p

sorry thats just my veiw. I do however see the raising of troops required being a good compromise. This would indeed stop single or pairs of players from milkrunning and I really cant see why you dont like it brady :) come now ! arent you also being a tad selfish to ddismiss the idea? :D :D

Why not try 15 troops? I realise the first guy drops 10 troops and doesnt get the capture but he doesnt lose much in the way of score. he still gets his troops in and i beleive thats classed as 10 hits for his hit %. He just doesnt get that 10 perks.
People would start to go in pairs more I think and this would be ok by me. Im all for slowing the pace of captures.
After all in the real war often fronts were very static for months until a concerted effort in an attack made a breakthrough. If we had bases needing 20 troops to capture we would only see bases captured by a organised attack. Milk runs would be very much more difficult for the single or paired dweebs ((ive done it too but shhhhh dont tell them!  ;))

just my veiw