Author Topic: spit14 why does no body understand it.  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
spit14 why does no body understand it.
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2003, 07:06:18 AM »
Originally posted by B17Skull12
furball is that the spit18?

The picture i posted is : Supermarine Spitfire XIVE MV293 Painted as Grp Capt 'Johnnie' Johnson's MV268.

This is an XVIII

I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2003, 03:23:19 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
There is no need to run away in the Spit XIV, you just climb away, in fact its simply amazing to see 3 or 4 tempests simply stall away under you on the deck as you spiral away from them with ease... :)

That works great,....except when an enemy arrives above you while you are slowly climbing away from the horde beneath you (burning rapidly through your precious five minutes of WEP to do so) and sees your "kill me SPIT14 icon".  Now your are between faster aircraft below you, a higher energy aircraft above you and running out of WEP.  A Spitfire Mk XIV without WEP is mediocre at best.

In my experience the Spitfire Mk XIV usually runs into that scenario if you are fighting in an area that has anything like heavy activity.  My greatest successes in it have come from solo hunting in low activity sectors.  It lacks the fuel range for this really, but at least you can withdraw if you have to.

My suggestion to fix the Spitfire Mk XIV (given perk tags are here to stay) would be to remodel it using 150 octane fuel.  With 150 octane it could do 390mph on the deck.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2003, 10:18:43 PM »
I love the spit14....but only cause it's a spit.:)  My main ride last tour was the spit14, i racked up 263 kills in it a 1/4 of all spit14 kills that tour.

1 v 1 it's a fantastic ride, i had many great 1v1 fights.  I could turn it pretty well.... almost aswell as a spit9.  However in a multi con MA environment there are better rides for free. The spit14 just lacks a little speed to mix it up and then escape when you need to.  Yes it has a fantastic climb but that doesn't help when there are cons above you.  Also karnak pointed at that it only performs well with WEP....with which it only has 5 mins, it's performance is pretty poor without it for a '44 fighter.

It also has a few other weaknesses that people tend not to think about-  It is a relatively large target that is relatively fragile, i got nailed 3 or 4 times from over 1k and ack got me 1 ping "oops there goes my stab" about the same amount of times too.  Coupled with the spit14 icon people are even more likely to spray to kill you from extreme ranges.

The spit14s handling takes a while to get used to too.  When i first started flying it i would lose it at slow speeds due to the massive torque.  It took me quite while to get used to it to be confident enough to fly the spit14 to the edge of it's envelope.  

I love the spit14 even if i don't believe it's worth the 60 perks.:)   It is a good fighter but there are better for the MA.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2003, 10:23:29 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
That works great,....except when an enemy arrives above you while you are slowly climbing away from the horde beneath you (burning rapidly through your precious five minutes of WEP to do so) and sees your "kill me SPIT14 icon".  Now your are between faster aircraft below you, a higher energy aircraft above you and running out of WEP.  A Spitfire Mk XIV without WEP is mediocre at best.

In my experience the Spitfire Mk XIV usually runs into that scenario if you are fighting in an area that has anything like heavy activity.  My greatest successes in it have come from solo hunting in low activity sectors.  It lacks the fuel range for this really, but at least you can withdraw if you have to.

My suggestion to fix the Spitfire Mk XIV (given perk tags are here to stay) would be to remodel it using 150 octane fuel.  With 150 octane it could do 390mph on the deck.

That would  make somw sense but the  they should add the 398 mph deck speed Fw190D9 as a perk.. :)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2003, 12:50:12 AM »
That would  make somw sense but the  they should add the 398 mph deck speed Fw190D9 as a perk.. :)

Sounds like a good perk plane to me.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2003, 03:58:49 PM »
There is no need to run away in the Spit XIV, you just climb away, in fact its simply amazing to see 3 or 4 tempests simply stall away under you on the deck as you spiral away from them with ease... :)

Glad to see someone else appreciates the truly best strength of the Spit9: it's upward spiral. It has saved my bacon many times, and I'm a piss-poor fighter pilit.

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2003, 05:53:44 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
Until you get to 25k or higher where the P-51B accelerates faster, climbs as fast or faster, out-turns the SpitXIV and is at least as fast. Best of all, no perks required. The P-51B is possibly the best fighter in the game at 20-30k, with the marginal exception of the
exception of the Ta 152.

My regards,

Widewing

you forgot about the P38:-)

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2003, 06:21:24 PM »
well i lost 1 yesterday after my engine was hit from an a20 i was messing with and i was leaking grey smoke (raditaror is how you spell it? no something in that area of spelling) and so im rtb and engine goes out. ive got fighter cover and i decide to try for ditch........just as i stop i get vulched.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2003, 01:45:20 PM »
Well past the time to change that signature Skull12..

Skurj

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2003, 05:37:11 PM »
ohh yeah! homework is first though!:)
II/JG3 DGS II