Author Topic: Seperate WW2 arena?  (Read 593 times)

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
Seperate WW2 arena?
« on: September 02, 2003, 03:20:59 PM »
Will there be a WW2 arena apart from this TOD thing? as squads are not catered for in TOD,none of us will be flying there,but we also dont want to fly in a 3 sided war setup,my squad was really looking forward to a WW2 arena,and would like to know if there WILL be one for squads to take part in (NOT a CT type arena)
Joc

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Seperate WW2 arena?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 05:05:02 PM »
Pyro has said that TOD doesn't necessarily mean the end of the Combat Theater, so I assume there will be an AH2 MA and CT in addition (and preceding) the TOD server.

Doesn't sound like that's what your wanting, but I've heard nothing about a AH2 WW2 arena....

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
Seperate WW2 arena?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 05:14:56 PM »
I dont want to fly CT at all because of the limited plane sets that come with each map/scenario rotation,what Id like to see is a WW2 arena,2 sides Axis/Allies with all their respective aircraft available with Euro/Pac maps in rotation,I think they have to think carefully about the arenas we are going to have,CT has never been a big hit,I dont think there should be this AH 'classic' arena,time to dump the old,go with the new,the arena 'second' to TOD should be a WW2 arena for squads.To me,squads have always been THE big attraction of online air combat,I gotta admit to being very angry to squads being left out of TOD,and feel we're being 'dumped' with a graphicly improved AH1 arena,at least gives the squads a WW2 arena of their own,DONT name it CT,name it WW2 Squad arena or something that might atually attract guys to fly in it.Just my opinion.:mad:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 05:19:43 PM by Joc »
Joc

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Seperate WW2 arena?
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 05:45:37 PM »
The FAQ is a good place to start. It may not provide the answers you want to hear. But it will provide answers.

Thank you.

Carry on.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 05:48:13 PM by Arlo »

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Seperate WW2 arena?
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 05:50:20 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Read the FAQ!!!!!!!!!!!
Fourth question down if you want to skip to it due to attention deficiency problems.

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Ohhhhh Canadaaaaaaaaa ........
He's looking for a two sided arena, axis vs allies. Which unlike the current maps makes sense.

He's not looking for the three sided arena in the MA now or in it's re-incarnation as AH2 Classic.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Seperate WW2 arena?
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 05:54:21 PM »
Originally posted by NHawk
He's looking for a two sided arena, axis vs allies. Which unlike the current maps makes sense.

He's not looking for the three sided arena in the MA now or in it's re-incarnation as AH2 Classic.

Right ... he's not. AHII:TOD will be a two-sided Axis vs. Allied arena.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Seperate WW2 arena?
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2003, 06:18:59 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Right ... he's not. AHII:TOD will be a two-sided Axis vs. Allied arena.
Ah, but TOD will not support squads. Thus eliminating existing squads, some of which have been together for nearly 9 years.

His whole point is to make the MA 2 sided where squads can participate as a squad.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
Seperate WW2 arena?
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2003, 07:29:40 PM »
Whats wrong with flying as a squad in a 3 country arena like we have now? Sure things get a bit lop-sided now and then, I know, I'm a bishop and those rooks and knights love to gang us !!!:D

But our squad has no trouble flying together and running good operations. Even on non-squad times we find ourselves getting together, and winging up, or getting missions together to capture territory.

If ya can't work with what ya got, what kind of squad are ya!

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
Seperate WW2 arena?
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2003, 08:46:13 PM »
AH2:Tour of Duty
=
AH2:Classic ----> everything what we have now
+
AH2:Mission Arena (ToD) -----> mission arena  axis vs allies (rps)

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
Seperate WW2 arena?
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2003, 04:35:26 AM »
Originally posted by MaddogJoe
Whats wrong with flying as a squad in a 3 country arena like we have now? Sure things get a bit lop-sided now and then, I know, I'm a bishop and those rooks and knights love to gang us !!!:D

But our squad has no trouble flying together and running good operations. Even on non-squad times we find ourselves getting together, and winging up, or getting missions together to capture territory.

If ya can't work with what ya got, what kind of squad are ya!

My feelings/squad feelings are that its a bit stupid flying WW2 aircraft for a made up country over made up maps,in a stupid made up 3 sided war thats been done before in many other sims.
 If I fly a Spitfire I want it to be for the Allies against the Axis forces,but since TOD has screwed this for squads,we need a seperate arena,set up for Axis/Allies thats squads CAN take part in,NOT run like the CT,although I salute the guys who make the maps etc for CT,all thats needed is a simple arena,2 sides,Axis/Allies,with their respective aircraft available,totally sick to death of the 3 sided war:mad:
Joc

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Seperate WW2 arena?
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2003, 06:57:08 AM »
Joc, sounds to me like the CT is very close to what you want.   If you can just get used to taking weeklong turns in settings you may not be particularly crazy about, it can be a real blast when your favorite setting rolls around.

I find the reduced radar/icon settings aren't as big an issue as one might think from the BB discussions; its easy to find a fight and you get used to the more restricted icon settings in time.

One problem with Axis/Allies settings usually is side-balancing, but the guys in the CT generally will switch sides to keep the balance reasonable.   Its not perfect, but this group of guys makes more of an effort to keep the sides balanced than I've seen elsewhere.

As far as the restricted planeset, its up to you to decide whether that disadvantage outweighs all the other things the CT offers that you want.    I don't think the plan for AH2 includes the exact kind of arena you're hoping for, but the CT isn't far off the mark, IMO.

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
Seperate WW2 arena?
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2003, 07:29:10 AM »
Hold on I thought TOD was a AXIS  vs ALLIEs theatre!!???

are you saying its going to be a 3 sided war?? on made up maps?????

Please say it isnt sooo

Offline Puudeli

• Nickel Member
Seperate WW2 arena?
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2003, 07:42:02 AM »
I really hope they dont remove CT...

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
Seperate WW2 arena?
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2003, 07:58:42 AM »
CT will bo not removed beucose:

CT have no career, TOD will have it
CT is change theatre every week, TOD is same theatre for weeks like in RL
CT "jump" over all war years, TOD wil be "small rps"
CT fun mostly base on furball/dogfight without consequences, in TOD you must fly with head all the time ;), and fullfill duty/missions

enough?;)

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Seperate WW2 arena?
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2003, 08:54:09 AM »
Originally posted by hazed-
Hold on I thought TOD was a AXIS  vs ALLIEs theatre!!???

are you saying its going to be a 3 sided war?? on made up maps?????

Please say it isnt sooo
It will be, but your squad won't be recognized in TOD. It will be in Classic.