Author Topic: Dx8 Beta?...worth downloading?  (Read 725 times)

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Dx8 Beta?...worth downloading?
« on: August 16, 2001, 11:37:00 AM »
Heya.

Well so far I'm playing with the "normal" AH version. I know there is a Beta version wich uses Dx8, but I dont know if it is worth downloading it and giving it a try. So, if you can asnwer this questions to me ,I'd be really grateful  :)

1- Wich advantages does it has over the "normal" version?

2- Any drawback?

3- Does it work OK? (After all is a beta  :)).

Thanks in advance  :)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2001, 11:40:00 AM »
Well, the beta is for the benefit of HTC not us as end users, thus the Beta designation. So far, things that have impressed me (and spooked me the first time!) was the sound, fly over 88 acks with it, it'll make you crap your drawers!

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2001, 11:46:00 AM »
The beta will boost your framerate and handle smoother. The only bad thing about it is that it will mess up your sounds. The flak does sound cooler for some reason  :)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2001, 11:46:00 AM »
Ram,

The best way to make that decision is to actually go to the thread about DX8 beta and read the posts there. You should be able to decide if you want to try it.

No it does not make any changes in game play.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2001, 11:53:00 AM »
I don't know about that, Mav...

The head bounce thing when you move your controls seems more pronounced on my system. I found I had to change a couple of joystick settings. Oh, and RW is defeated for some reason.

Aside from that... it sure is pretty!  :D

:cool:

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2001, 11:54:00 AM »
With my particular system, I get these little jerky glitches near nap of earth with AHDX8(11).  Not so with regular AH.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2001, 12:03:00 PM »
Ram,
Si tienes una buena PC, prueba el Beta.
Las graficas son mucho mejores por el Mip-Mapping. Es solo 600kb en un .exe separado, asi que no pierdes nada tratando.

Cualquier cosa me mandas un mensaje privado.

Suerte, jodio cabrón   :mad:

P.s: Cuando vayas al concierto del Manu Chao, toma fotos si puedes y quiero que me digas en detalle como estubo!!

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2001, 12:17:00 PM »
DX8 (DX7) version is a differtent AH.exe that you can use, it does not alter your current version.

There are no major visual differences between the current edition of AH (which requires DX6.1) and the beta version except the sounds are "3D" and some smaller grpahics differences.

Folks have been testing DX8's for stability, FPS and such. It's not the "next" version yet by far. Feature wise or graphically speaking anyway.

Westy

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2001, 11:10:00 AM »
Thanks everyone for the answers...

I tried it and looks OK. No problems in my system with it so far  :)

Animal: aun no es seguro q vaya...Manu Chao toca en la Plaza  del Gas, de Bilbao...un sitio para 8000 personas maximo, y esta previsto q vayan mas de 25000!!!  :eek:

Si voy, garantizado q llevo la camara y tiro algunas fotos...pero veremos si:

A) voy
B) logro entrar  :D