Author Topic: Word to the wise, please read  (Read 919 times)

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
Word to the wise, please read
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2003, 03:49:48 PM »
Originally posted by SC-Mutt
Also;  Will a '10/100 Switch' do as well as a 'Router' ?
Thx
S!

Sorry, I don't think the switch does much for security but routers with NAT firewall and multi-port switches are getting cheaper daily.  I have an old hub/switch collecting dust since my router has 4 ports. It  has it's own IP addy (the one exposed to the net that you pay your ISP for) and will also handle and/or assign multiple IP's.  You can daisy chain your switch onto the router if you have a big network.
DJ229 - AIR MAFIA
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2003, 05:06:33 PM »
I can tell you all, until recently I didnt think anybody would waste their time hacking my system.  But now i know better.

From AV scans within 2 hours of one another.  I get 1 virus, I had a lotta trubble getting rid of.  2 hours later I have 6 of the somma*****es on my system.  

I have sygate FW running and AVG  AV.  Both free, but i believe I am gonna invest in a top grade AV program and get my router runniing probperly.

I believe the cable world is saturated with bugs, and If you dont have a firewall and AV system running you already have lovsan on your system.

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2003, 05:13:44 PM »
Whitehawk,
FYI - Sygate/Noton AV plus all critical updates to XP kept me safe from the initial release of Lovsan but I do feel safer now with the Router.
DJ229 - AIR MAFIA
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA

Offline ply

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.davisrc.com
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2003, 06:40:17 PM »
The only way I know of that someone can get through a NAT router is for you to open up TCP ports to one of your computers (telnet, www,etc) and not take the proper precautions, or set it so you can remotely administer it and have a weak password or worse, not change the default password. With the NAT router I don't have to worry about the latest MS upgrade breaking my firewall software.  NAT routers will not stop a mail type virus. For those you need A/V software to scan the mail or be very carefull about opening attachments and clicking on links attached to email. Also you need to be carefull about software you install. It may contain spyware or worse, In this case your Black Ice software will at least let you know if a program is trying to access ports you have not given permission for. A NAT router will just pass it through since it is comming from your side and looks legit. If you tend to install everything you think might be cool to try, (or others that use your computer do) you probably should be running  firewall software, A/V software and a program like Adaware to keep the demons out. I have nightmare stories from friends and family whose kids installed every thing they saw on the net, until things quit, then I get a call for help.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2003, 10:53:40 PM »
Don't confuse switches with hubs....

Switches are great for security within a network, but yeah they won't give you any real security like a router can.

SKurj

Offline Dega

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.cox.net/on-your-6/index.html
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2003, 12:02:38 AM »
Maybe I didn't read well enough, but it seems y'all are using/recommending only software sollutions.  I use a CISCO PIX 506 and have had absolutely zero problems.  I think you get much better security and better/easier control with a hardware sollution.  Even the cheapie LinkSys, EtherFast or D-Link router is better than software.

Also, before I got the PIX, I took an old P200 and made a Linux router (Free download *grin*) out of it.  I'm told it's virtually impossible to get around.  Not being a Linux 'groupie' though, I don't know much about it except that I had no problems whilst using it.

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2003, 01:10:37 AM »
Originally posted by Dega
Maybe I didn't read well enough, but it seems y'all are using/recommending only software sollutions.  I use a CISCO PIX 506 and have had absolutely zero problems.  I think you get much better security and better/easier control with a hardware sollution.  Even the cheapie LinkSys, EtherFast or D-Link router is better than software.

I think most everyone agrees with you .  A hardware firewall is best and a hardware + software firewall is even better yet.

DJ229 - AIR MAFIA
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA

Offline SC-Mutt

• Zinc Member
      • http://skeletoncrew.ww1sims.com/home
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2003, 03:28:01 PM »
Thanks for the input re: 'NAT Router vs. Switch' question.

"I have an old hub/switch collecting dust since my router has 4 ports. It has it's own IP addy"

Could you gimme the partic'lars on it? Sounds like it may just be the ticket if I can find something like it here in Warshington. :D

TIA
S!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2003, 05:43:53 PM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
Were there such things as virises back when this thread started?

eskimo

Hehe, got my first virus in '87. Luckily that was just before I got my first hard drive. I don't recall there being any antivirus software at the time.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2003, 08:20:16 PM »
Originally posted by SC-Mutt
Thanks for the input re: 'NAT Router vs. Switch' question.

"I have an old hub/switch collecting dust since my router has 4 ports. It has it's own IP addy"

Could you gimme the partic'lars on it? Sounds like it may just be the ticket if I can find something like it here in Warshington. :D

TIA
S!

I got this one locally at Comp USA cause I wanted a fast wireless connect for my laptop, too.  It has four wired ports, also.
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=299891&pfp=cat1

If ya don't need wireless, they get as cheap as $30 and you can always add a Wireless Access Point later.
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=290331&pfp=BROWSE

I went with Linksys cause I read some good reviews and they are the biggest seller.

Costco even carries Wirless Netgear and Dlink routers.
DJ229 -AIR MAFIA
« Last Edit: September 05, 2003, 08:22:35 PM by DAVENRINO »
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA

Offline SC-Mutt

• Zinc Member
      • http://skeletoncrew.ww1sims.com/home
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2003, 03:29:43 AM »
#2 looks like the answer for me. I'm on it like a puppy on a pork chop!

Thanks again!
S!

Offline Dingbat

• Silver Member
      • http://mysite.verizon.net/res0v1l1
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2003, 09:47:26 AM »
Originally posted by spiffykraits
Keep your firewall up when playing is a must, but it is not necessary to have an anti-virus program running at all when playing -it just slows it down without doing anything constructive. :)  You won't get a virus unless you open anything downloaded.

Use can use webpages to exploit vunerabilities, if your system isn't patched or you're not running a antivrus program with script blocking...