Author Topic: Is this a realistic sim?  (Read 924 times)

Fluf

Is this a realistic sim?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2000, 09:33:00 AM »
Well Grunherz - I've never made or seen a kill at that range. Buzz Beurling did get a
kill on a Macchi at 800 yards with his spit5 in real-life. But he made a study of the trajectory of his 20mm cannon and used his exceptionally keen eyesight. He hit it with 5 cannon shells. Stanford Tuck also made some very long-range kills in real life.
You can do stuff like that in AH, but it is very hard to do. What most of us forget is that we get TONS more 'live' gunnery practice and dogfighting than anybody ever did in real-life, with the added major consideration that we can't really get hurt, we don't have to follow any orders, and we can't get court-martialed for carelessly destroying our aircraft. This is bound to result in "amazing feats" now and then.
AH is the only sim that models every bullet, BTW. For my money it is the most realistic WWII sim available by far, and also has the most fearsome and skillful collection of hot sim sticks flying in it (I am their frequent victim).

Of course people will always find some small
things to complain about - but you won't find
a sim that provides so much breadth and depth for skills development, or a better class of
virtual pilots to fly with and against than in AH.

Fluf

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
Is this a realistic sim?
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2000, 09:57:00 AM »
hmmmmm,   "hi"

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Is this a realistic sim?
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2000, 01:15:00 PM »
"Grünhertz" belongs to us. Our people will talk to your people.

Consider yourself sued. See you in court.

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Is this a realistic sim?
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2000, 05:11:00 PM »
Hi

LOL

Offline Rickenbacker

• Zinc Member
Is this a realistic sim?
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2000, 07:17:00 PM »
I think this whole thread sprang from the fact that Grunherz confused the occasional lucky long range kill with a regular occurrence. In other words, yes, you _can_ kill someone at 2km with a single .50, but it almost never happens. Kinda like real life, really  .

And Grunherz, you seem to handle that 109 pretty decent for a 109. I got you twice today, but I had a 5K alt advantage and friendlies in the area. Nice evasives  .

Rickenbacker

-towd_

Is this a realistic sim?
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2000, 10:31:00 PM »
i swear that he aint me

but yea , i have been killed by a buff at 1.8 k ( from a 90 deg angle so crap on the lag theory) and a couple nites ago i hit 425 kn tru at 18 k in a dive in a b17  . in my experience the fighter guns are much less on range and wildly less on damage. this is supposed to be a playability thing ( or a figment of our imagination) depends on who you talk to .got me i hope they fix it to. any deveation from reality for playability like that is , well bad cause if just sucks in the quake birds (gamers lookin for lots o frags). wait till you see 3 17 flyin at 200 feet straifin ground targets lol.or a single 17 agressivly out manuvering you at high alt ( not to mention out runnin)

its a great game just dont complain or criticise they dont like that even if you pay.

Offline BBGunn

• Zinc Member
Is this a realistic sim?
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2000, 11:32:00 PM »
Read the historical accounts and pilot biographical stuff and make up your own mind.  Better yet go outside and put two markers on the ground to simulate the wingspan of a 109 and walk back 100yards/meters and see how big/small it looks-then try it at 800yards/meters.  This is a good reality check.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Is this a realistic sim?
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2000, 02:52:00 AM »
HI

Yes I noticed the 17s are pretty damn fast up there, I cimbed up to on max boost in a G-10 matched its speed but it seem very difficult to get out infront of it for a headon or climb above to set up some diving attack. Actually is sort of funny watching the Death Star ,oops,  I mean 17 take out every fighter that tries to attack it. Single 17s in ww2 were dead meat. The Luftwaffe placed a high emphasis on seperating a bomber from the box as they found out that a lone 17 without the fire support of other bombers fell easily to figher attack. This is obviously not the case here.
Anyway, has anybody ever tried to attack a 17 with a 17?

thanks GRUNHERZ

[This message has been edited by GRUNHERZ (edited 08-12-2000).]

skippy

Is this a realistic sim?
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2000, 10:53:00 AM »
This game be alot better if it was a bit more tactical , instead of like quake in airplanes.  After about 3 months of play if ya want a realistic sim .. this isnt it. Between the AWACs / JSTAR / giant dots for airplanes and the royal lameass respawning and the fact that the factories and other facilities basically have ZERO importance , then you have the kamakazi thing where if you blow up first and the other guy second he wins , and the nearby kill where u can sit on the runway in a tank and collect kills all night long when someone dies near you. If you like fly and die stuff this sim fills the bill brilliantly but as a tactical sim its just Quake teamfortress in the air. Oh and getting screwed by sheep now and then really makes your day.

[This message has been edited by skippy (edited 08-12-2000).]

Offline Weave

• Copper Member
Is this a realistic sim?
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2000, 01:32:00 PM »
  Actually B-17, and B-24 bomber where used for low level bombing and straffing. Happened in the battle for the Aleutions <sp> against the japanese.
  Yes "Greenheart" it is tough to get into a favorable attack position on a buff. Dosen't seem to be their speed so much, but them puppies can out turn a Spit with 0 energy loss. Oh yea, make sure you stay at least 2.0d away from them while you're setting up your suicide, er I mean attack run, lol.

...Weav

Offline Hamish

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Is this a realistic sim?
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2000, 03:00:00 PM »
Just out of curiosity, has Anyone in this game (besides me) ever shot a real .50 cal Machine Gun?
 If you have, how far out did you think the dispersal was? 1000 yards and the dispertion from a **single** gun is pretty great. Now i'll talk to my buddies at work to be sure, but i think the guns we have today are prolly a hair more accurate than the ones 60 years ago.

My $.02

------------------
Hamish!

<===<The ASSASSINS>===>

[This message has been edited by Hamish (edited 08-12-2000).]

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Is this a realistic sim?
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2000, 10:42:00 PM »
Hamish,
 I shot a tank-mounted 12.5mm on T-72. It is controlled by rotating two knobs for asimuth and elevation, so it can be considered stationary. The dispersion was considerable.
  It should be much more in a flying plane then in a tank due to the engine/air/wing/barrel/etc. vibrations but hard to tell without actual test results.

When I look at the bullet trails in AH, they go all over the place so dispersion is there. Do you think it is not sufficient?
 It was much worse in WB with all bullets flying the same trajectory.
 I have seen no complaints about dispersion in AH so far.

miko--

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Is this a realistic sim?
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2000, 03:58:00 AM »
HI

Dispersion seems very realistic on most
planes I guess I was just surprised at some of the claims of getting shot down at 1800 yards.

thanks GRUNHERZ

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Is this a realistic sim?
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2000, 04:26:00 AM »
Well - now that ya've jumped in and are online with yer 2 week trial...Be sure and let us know when ya knock out a plane at 1800 yards  

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Is this a realistic sim?
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2000, 12:48:00 PM »
I have shot an M2 on Ground mount, pintle mount(m113 cupola) and turrented(Grizly turret).Probably 800 to 1000 rounds total.
I dont know why the guns would have been less accurrate in 1944 then now.