Author Topic: HO's are avoidable ya' know?  (Read 365 times)

Offline g00bd0g

• Zinc Member
HO's are avoidable ya' know?
« on: August 10, 2000, 07:09:00 PM »
Big fat barrel rolls, slip a bit, jinx a little. As a matter of fact from an equal advantage setup the pilot who thinks ahead of the initial pass and sets himself up to be in the better position AFTER, is probably more likely to win then the guy who just goes hell bent for the HO.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2000, 07:21:00 PM »
There's nothing wrong with HO's, it's a real life tactic.  It only sucks when you lose one.  If you want a duel go to the dueling arena.

ra

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2000, 07:27:00 PM »
I luv HOers, they usually screw their E completely trying to keep guns on target, allowing me to get a better position. Then I can abuse them on Channel 1 while they drop in flames.

:-)

Offline g00bd0g

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2000, 07:29:00 PM »
That was my point, all these people whining 'bout HO's, but the truth is you'll only get nailed if YOU decide to play that game. HO's are very ez to avoid, I think most people are just scared to break away and expose themselves for a sec.

Renfield

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2000, 07:37:00 PM »
HO's are avoidable??? I beg to differ! They happen to some of the best in the sim - and they tell everyone about it on channel 1. I know. I've seen 'em!

All that is required is an HO Dweeb somewhere in the arean to make you fly right straight at him from the 12 o-clock position. There is no avoiding their mystic commands. It is like a moth and flame.

Some HO Dweeb takes to the skies and the nose of my plane tugs like a weathervane into the wind.

There is nothing I can do. I am pulled right into an unwanted HO situation. God knows it isn't my fault either - the last thing I want or would ever do is an HO. It's that HO Dweeb's fault. All of it. They should be banned I say!

(and if you didn't understand this was really thick sarcasm, well, maybe you are the HO Dweeb!  )

Offline BigJim

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2000, 08:49:00 PM »
LOL nothing wrong with HO's except the way they are scored, if BOTH go down then Both should be awarded Kills, this last man standing bull is just that Bull, BOTH planes are out of the fight IMHO.

Offline g00bd0g

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2000, 12:32:00 AM »
LOL Renfield  
And I couldn't agree more Bigjimmie boy !!!

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2000, 12:47:00 AM »
If both planes go down, then both guys are dead. I say there should be no kills awarded to anyone if both go in.

Sure would cut down on it.  

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2000, 12:52:00 AM »
Randomly award BOTH kills to a player in the 3rd country that is not involved.

BONUS! BONUS! BONUS!  
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Mattibaby80

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2000, 01:11:00 AM »
Not to sound like a complete handsomehunk\newbie but what the hell is HO???  Yeah I know I'm gonna get ripped on by all you "old timers" but let me in on this little secret please?

------------------
Kusse meine Kartoffel!.....Meine Schwester hat keine kartoffel salat!

Offline g00bd0g

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2000, 01:20:00 AM »
HO = Head On
I.e. When both planes play "chicken"

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2000, 01:22:00 AM »
HO is a Head-On attack. If at any time a plane suddenly gets into a collision course with your 12 o'clock you bet your butt its gonna be a HO.

Goob has a good point, Ho's are avoidable, but in my opinion, only 40% of the times. A determined Ho'er will ALWAYS spray the air with as much lead as it can. Jinking may save you from a snapshot Ho kill, but not from a spraying HO attack. And god help you in a Hog-C or a N1k or a Typhoon are the ones Ho'ing you..those machines are snapshot killers.

And I those who say that it takes 2 to Ho, I've found out that most planes in bad positions (aka you are on their 6 and closing) and that are great at flipping over (zeke, la-5, F4U, N1k amongst others) they will very commonly do a quick turn or half-loop and HO you. This is why HO's are so annoying, in those situations you, the persuer can only climb or do something that will usually give the HO'er a nice clean shot at your plane.

Offline BigJim

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2000, 04:14:00 AM »
Hmmmmm I guess I like the idea that NO kills are awarded if both planes go down (even if both pilots bail) I just never thought of it that way but I like it

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2000, 06:24:00 AM »
Yep, what Tac said.

Also, in dodging the HO, you're giving, for free, the opponent a "front aspect shot" - since your guns aren't pointed at the enemy and within that 135 degree cone.

I will say this though; if it is a valid tactic in the MA, it should be a valid technique in a duel. After all, "it takes two to HO", "it is easy to avoid". Why are guns cold in duel? Probably because it is more of a chance, not skill affair, when it comes to HO merges.

Consistant HO'ing after the merge is what I am referring to, and (to a lesser extent) head on sprayers on the merge (note difference between normal head ons and HO sprayers. Those vertical HO's are dangerous, and I do what I can to avoid them but more often than not I face them because I've misjudged the enemy's e, i.e I made a mistake.

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2000, 08:34:00 AM »
the only time i try to fire at a plane firing at me is if im gonna die for sure anyways. head ons are a tactic just like split s and other maneuvers.

however I find no reason to split s in a normal relatively equal e state merge and I find no reason to head on in a normal co e merge either.

its purely a defensive maneuver if your fighter does not have a serious firepower and durability advantage
Fester was my in game name until September 2013