Author Topic: Best Joystick?  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
Best Joystick?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2003, 10:23:49 AM »
I wouldn't say equipment is in any way related to pilot skill, Nilsen, but it's a matter of maximizing your potential.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Best Joystick?
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2003, 10:27:44 AM »
True, but you don't miss what you haven't tried :)

I have throttle on my stick and a few buttons. On the left side of my keyboard i also have a fairly cheap numpad keyboard thingie that makes it easyer to control views and 2-3 other things.

Offline Ike 2K#

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Best Joystick?
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2003, 12:08:24 PM »
Imagine if my homies (slang for friends) sees my playing A.H. with pedal rudders. They'll laugh at me. BTW, the rudders gives you the feel of flying a "real" plane, but whats missing is the G-forces.

I wish all future planes should have "twist" (like the ones from Sidewinder force feedback 2 and Logitech cordless)  feature on flightsticks to fly UAF fighters or bombers with ease
« Last Edit: September 19, 2003, 12:15:07 PM by Ike 2K# »

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Best Joystick?
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2003, 01:56:20 PM »
I'm using a CH setup. FX stick with Pro Throttle and Pro rudders. A squaddie of mine just went full USB CH and sent me his analog Pro throttle , pro rudders and Fighterstick.

AKAK, can a dOOfus like me modify the throttle? Seeing I have a backup I could experiment some.
I'm going into my SB sound card now as the Gameport was getting long in the tooth.
As The Kinks once sang... "I'm on a loooow budget" :)

fuzeman
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline cracker4head

• Zinc Member
Best Joystick?
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2003, 03:20:21 PM »
I have a TM Hotas with pedals for sale.Less than 1 year old.Hat is broke on the stick but the stick u have will work with it.E-Mail me if your interested.

badcougar454@hotmail.com

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
Best Joystick?
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2003, 09:54:16 AM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
I'm still using my 8 year old  analog CH stuff.  Modified Pro Throttle (48 programmable buttons instead of 24), modified Jane's F-16 Combat Stick (8-way hatswitches) and Pro Pedals hooked up using a Rockfire Gameport to USB adaptor (replacing my old CH Gamecard III Automatic).

I see no real reason why I should switch over to pure USB gear.  My analog stuff hooked up through a USB gameport gives me pretty much the same performance as a USB stick.
ack-ack

Were you able to multi-program your analog stuff? If so, I'd love to have the procedure for that, I have  CH HOTAS analog, and just bought a new  CH USB HOTAS setup,---for a steal---$305.05 to the door in a day...but I can always return it :)

Gainsie

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
Best Joystick?
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2003, 03:20:10 AM »
Used various sticks in the past from MS, TM, Saitek and even Logitech. I have the 568 Combatstick usb, pro throttle usb, and pro pedals usb setup now and don't think I'll use anything else until there's something alot better. It sure makes it fun! :)

Offline ebgb

• Copper Member
      • http://www.rogue-gryffons.com
Best Joystick?
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2003, 12:42:42 AM »
Regarding CH:  I work quite often in their neighborhood.  Twice now have I gone to their office for a new Pot...haven't paid
a nickel yet.  Nice bunch they are.

Offline lucull

• Nickel Member
Best Joystick?
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2003, 08:34:02 PM »
I think of buying used CH throttle on ebay and a Rockfire gameport-USB-converter. Would this work under WinXP?
I can program the throttle under a win98 system, no problem, but I wonder if I could use the throttle and buttons together with my USB stick and USB pedals I already have under WinXP.

Offline 13Promet

• Copper Member
Best Joystick?
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2003, 10:00:45 AM »
Originally posted by lucull
I think of buying used CH throttle on ebay and a Rockfire gameport-USB-converter. Would this work under WinXP?
I can program the throttle under a win98 system, no problem, but I wonder if I could use the throttle and buttons together with my USB stick and USB pedals I already have under WinXP.

Operating system is not a problem: you must go crazy a bit, but you can solve all the issues (programming the throttle under 98 once, then info stay in device BIOS).
BUT
CH gameport products don't work well if you have a recent gameport (or the Rockfire adapter). CH support told me it's a matter of gameport (or adapter) electric resistance: more recent ones have higher resistance, incompatible with CH gameport products.
I had to bring back my CH fighterstick for this reason: after few minutes of playing the axis positions got very unstable, unplayable actually (possibly you remember my kind words in suqad channel after spending 90€ for a non-working 2 axis joy).
I tried it on my old PC, and it was working perfectly, but it is too slow to run AH.
I tried it on 4-5 more recent PCs, and it was having the same problem.
I also tried the Rockfire adapter but it did not solve the problem (same resistance as the recent gameports).
If you don't want to spend the huge amount of money for a brand new USB CH throttle you can get an X-45 and use the throttle only, while using for axis your favourite stick: quality for throttle is not as important as for stick.
Mail me if you need more info about this subject, which I unfortunately got pretty deep into.

Regards

Promet
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 10:12:12 AM by 13Promet »

Offline lucull

• Nickel Member
Best Joystick?
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2003, 10:56:07 AM »
Hmm, I have a 2+ years old SoundblasterLive with gameport, but the problem is, would WinXP recognize the throttle on gameport? I guess that's why people use the rockfire USB converter and some people have it working (maybe newer converters have different resistance?).

Anyway, the throttle is at ebay for 5-10 Euro and the converter for 20Euro and I could send the converter back and get the money back, if it doesn't work. Definetly the cheapest way and I think I try it, when I get the throttle for <10 Euro. :)

Offline 13Promet

• Copper Member
Best Joystick?
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2003, 11:07:13 AM »
CH recently (6 months ago) released gameport products drivers for XP, and they worked fine for my fightestick.
The only thing you can't do in XP is buttons programming, but you can do it on any 98 system just once, after which settings are stored in the device.
For 5-10$ it's defenetly worth the risk.
I would try the throttle on the SB first, and get the converter only if first atempt does not work.
But remember that converter emulates standard sticks (some combinations of axis/buttons), not sure it's gonna work for the thorttle (1 axis only) and I'm pretty sure you're going to loose some buttons functionality (I remember it supporting max 8 buttons, CH throttle owns many more). And having few buttons on throttle sucks big time because you'll need the keyboard while inflight, and it will be pretty unhandy if you have joy+throttle on the table already.

Good luck
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 11:12:17 AM by 13Promet »

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
Best Joystick?
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2003, 10:33:09 AM »
I use the Logitech Wingman Force Feedback Pro, in combination with Thrustmaster's "Tacticalboard". The combination is just awesome. As far as I know, the Tacticalboard is now difficult to come by at retail stores, but you can still get it from Thrustmaster's web site.

My entire Flight Simulation Laboratory setup is described here:

http://www.geocities.com/rjbosen/fslab.htm

Regards,

-Peabody-