Author Topic: Best Joystick?  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
Best Joystick?
« on: September 09, 2003, 07:00:09 PM »
I'm wondering what everyone's favourite joystick is, and why.  Currently I use an MS Sidewinder Precision  2, which is an inexpensive, but adequate stick.  It's perfect for newer players, but now I'd like to replace it at some point and move to something better.  The only thing I really like about the Sidewinder is the buttons, although there is a problem with forward-right on the hat not working very well.  I get a little pitch and yaw bounce, nothing catastrophic, but it does hurt my gunnery, and no amount of fiddling with stick settings gets rid of it entirely.  I'd like to move to rudder pedals instead of the twist-rudder, because I find that accidentally twisting the stick during tight manoeuvers or snap aiming is throwing me off.

Suggestions on new equipment?  Thanks.

Offline blackfalcon4

• Nickel Member
Best Joystick?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 09:03:23 PM »
Hello,

Well, you can start off w/just a set of usb ch rudder pedals to go along w/that stick, or

Really splurge and get the whole ch usb hotas setup, fighterstick, pro throttle, pro peds.

Recently moved to complete ch setup myself and love it.
 Was using a MSFFB pro and ch peds and was ok, now all ch, and much smoother.

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackoutboys/
Best Joystick?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 09:31:24 PM »
i went from the ms twisty to the saitek, then added rudder pedals. I like the saitek with the pedal combo, works great, highly programable. The pedals take a bit of getting used to but then they are quite natural.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Best Joystick?
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 04:32:26 PM »
I'm still using my 8 year old  analog CH stuff.  Modified Pro Throttle (48 programmable buttons instead of 24), modified Jane's F-16 Combat Stick (8-way hatswitches) and Pro Pedals hooked up using a Rockfire Gameport to USB adaptor (replacing my old CH Gamecard III Automatic).

I see no real reason why I should switch over to pure USB gear.  My analog stuff hooked up through a USB gameport gives me pretty much the same performance as a USB stick.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
Best Joystick?
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 09:01:22 PM »
Should go for a Yoke if you want some enhanced realism in the 38, Ack-Ack. :)

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Best Joystick?
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2003, 09:25:10 PM »
Logitech Wingman Extreme
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Best Joystick?
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2003, 06:16:47 AM »
I'm with AKAK.....used everything at one time or another...but CH
Products best imho.   CHdoes very well supporting their equipment......never wore out a Pot....but CH will send them to
you if you need them.

I just gave away a complete analog CH Hotas set...F16Combat
Stick....Pro THrottle, and Pro Pedals.....Throttle was about 3 yrs old and working great.

However I upgraded to win2KPro....and the USB Hotas that I bought, were all CH again...568 Combatstick usb, pro throttle usb,
and pro pedals usb......once I learned how to use control manager
I wouldn't consider using anything else.....running off a DLink USB Hub....I wouldn't consider using anything but CH based on their performance since I've been using them.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
Best Joystick?
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2003, 07:56:29 AM »
I own several sticks and have used more.

Best bang HOTAS for the buck is Saitek's X45. Best HOTAS (IMO) is Thrustmaster's Cougar plus pedals.

If you're on a budget but want something with more feel than the Saitek, consider getting an old Suncom Talon stick and SFS throttle and two gameport to USB converters.

Offline Ike 2K#

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Best Joystick?
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2003, 03:07:10 PM »
i have good news!!!!

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 is now $59 (it used to be $100) in Best Buy electronic stores.

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
Best Joystick?
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2003, 03:49:02 PM »
For some reason I think Ike works for Best Buy.... ;)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Best Joystick?
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2003, 07:44:01 AM »
MS Sidewinder user here for 8 years now.
First the 3d pro, then the prec pro, now the Prec 2 usb. (Prec pro still on wifes sys)

I've tried all kinds of setups at the AH con.
Frankly, I wouldn't touch any of em with a 10 fot pole.

There is one thing that I do however, add a lot of deadband to the rudder.  So you only use it when you really mean to.

Yes you can spend 400$ on a all usb CH setup, but will you really be happier?

Offline blackfalcon4

• Nickel Member
Best Joystick?
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2003, 02:59:20 PM »
Yes you can spend 400$ on a all usb CH setup, but will you really be happier?

YEP  :D

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
Best Joystick?
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2003, 05:58:07 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
I'm still using my 8 year old  analog CH stuff.  Modified Pro Throttle (48 programmable buttons instead of 24), modified Jane's F-16 Combat Stick (8-way hatswitches) and Pro Pedals hooked up using a Rockfire Gameport to USB adaptor (replacing my old CH Gamecard III Automatic).

I see no real reason why I should switch over to pure USB gear.  My analog stuff hooked up through a USB gameport gives me pretty much the same performance as a USB stick.

ack-ack

If your using windows XP you will have to switch to USB stuff. Been there done that. Have a fairly new ch pro throttle and stick gameport style for cheap if anyone needs it.
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Best Joystick?
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2003, 12:33:56 AM »
I use the regular microsoft sidewinder...works well enough. Doubt any of those fancy techno gizmos with built in cellphones and stuff makes you any better....

Would be neat to have a *smack ack-ack* button tho.....just to get him 10k lower in MA :D

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
Best Joystick?
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2003, 02:24:01 AM »
I was a CH HOTAS guy until I tried the Cougar.  Hands down the best HOTAS out there.