Author Topic: Safest to land on hangars and taxi to runways?  (Read 186 times)

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Safest to land on hangars and taxi to runways?
« on: November 23, 1999, 11:13:00 AM »
Just a few things I've been wonderin' about.
Try this (offline if you're worried about your score.  I did it online so I'd have an excuse.  Truth is, ever since I started wearing pants while flying, I haven't been able to buy a kill.):
Raise gear on runway in your favorite ride.
After they sweep away the wreckage, replane, taxi to the dirt off the R/Way, and try again.
So the runway is a lot "harder" on your A/C than dirt.
Now, if you exit the plane off the runway (as I found out taxiing to the hangar), it counts as a ditch.
So, an attempt to model a "hard" runway and force people to exit planes there has the unrealistic consequence of making the safest approach landing off the runway and taxiing to it.
I imagine this is due in part to the runway being considered an object (that can be bombed -- woohoo!), and plane/object collisions have been modelled, while ground hasn't.
Still, in addition to asking that it be looked into, could we see somewhere way down the road the addition of other "safe landing exit zones" in probable places (e.g., taxiways, hangar, the O'Club)?
In the meantime, runways are purely for showoffs.

-kier-

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 1999, 11:22:00 AM »
I'm a little confused; aside from the aforementioned 109 landing profile, and the known "diappearing runway" problem, landings on the runway don't seem overly difficult (unless you are being chased by vultures!).

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 1999, 11:42:00 AM »
Dinger;

I have noticed a few of the things that you mentioned, quite humurous.    Belly flops off the runway, are quite easy.  

Until my flying skills improve, like landing on the runway reliably.   I have acquired the bad habit of touching down short, on the soft grass.  Then rolling to a stop on runway.

Good to post this stuff, keep in mind that it is still Beta.  Hitech descibes the ground as "Hacked In".  The runway, I suspect, is not "Hacked In".  

I had a tough time with that at first. I was used to "Buggy" final releases of other Sims and very ready to get up on my soapbox.

Mino

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 1999, 12:10:00 PM »
Mino having problems landing are you.  Have you tried full flaps and adjust altitude with the throttle. Most if not all the plane in the game so far can land at close to 100 knts. They will slow to a stop on all runways with brakes and all. I usaully bounce once then Im down on runway.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
  Cherokee Indian
My Homepage
Where you can find the Key Commands in  files for Word6 Wordpad and text mode.

indians Homepage

Aces High Word6 and Wordpad Doc's available on my web site.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 1999, 04:17:00 AM »
Here's what I mean -kier-:
Take a c.205 and do a 3-point landing at stall speed (with full flaps) on the runway.  The plane explodes immediately (simulated undetonated 30mm shell stuck above tailwheel).  Bring in a 109 to land -- you can't see over the nose too well -- and, well, screw the pooch, stalling out 20 feet above the R/W.  You scream and holler as, to your horror, the plane rolls over and crashes into the R/W exploding.
Now try these maneuvers off the R/W.  The Macchi lands just fine.  The 109 (and any other plane for that matter) -- as long as it's going slow enough -- bounces off its cockpit and eventually rights itself.
My point is not that the R/W is overly difficult - as long as you're not flying the Macchi any reasonably close approximation to a landing should suffice (although I've heard the 109 does have probs too) -- but rather that the grass is safer.

[This message has been edited by Dinger (edited 11-24-1999).]

-kier-

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 1999, 06:54:00 AM »
Dinger-

Ok, now I understand you. The only two planes I have any difficulty setting down reliably are the 109 and the Spit. The Macchi I bring in under power and try to land on the mains. Actually, that's how I land all of them! I come over the fence at 120mph and chop the throttle, let it settle in, brakes, stick back (once I'm under 50mph) and stab rudder for drag. Never cracked up the Macchi, though I sure have the Spit!  

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 1999, 08:31:00 AM »
Hmm...I havent had any trouble landing anything as yet.  I come in slow, full flaps, usually around 100kn...125 for pony, let it settle on the runway, wait for ground effect (dont know if it's modeled or not), raise nose a bit just before touchdown. I'm basically stallin a foot or two off the runway. Thats it.  Hell, I've even landed in the canyons ded stick.  Glad I found that flat spot
CRASH

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 1999, 09:14:00 AM »
Indian;

Thanks.

I follow your prescribed landing procedure, but maybe I am crossing a little too fast.  I generally cross at 140-150, mostly the 51.  

Landing 20 feet short of the runway on purpose, is a departure from reality.  

Mino