Author Topic: Ricer of the Year Award  (Read 775 times)

Offline Pfunk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
Ricer of the Year Award
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2003, 12:32:34 AM »
That's a sweet ride!

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
Ricer of the Year Award
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2003, 09:43:12 AM »
That used to be a 1999 Honda Civic, worth about $7,000.

Word has it that guy put well over $10,000 of work into that machine. He essentially spent $17,000 on a car that'll only go slightly faster than it would stock. There's so much extra weight on it that any extra horses wrangled with that blower and the mods are null and void. The body kit is horrible, IMO.

Also notice he's got a mega blower cresting through the hood, but he's got a cold air intake, which scoops air from the bottom of the engine for incresed performance. Why have both?

And the interior hurts my eyes. How can he see while driving that thing?

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Ricer of the Year Award
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 11:56:18 AM »
Don't look at it as him investing in the car, look at it as a piece of art.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Ricer of the Year Award
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 12:28:10 PM »
I create art everytime I pull an 'Uncle Tom' in the bathroom.

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
Ricer of the Year Award
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 01:06:26 PM »
I would like to buy just so I could destroy it. Something that smurfy must! Be fed to a car shredder. The funny part is the guy that created looks at it and thinks MAN thats a cool car.
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
Ricer of the Year Award
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2003, 01:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by texace
That used to be a 1999 Honda Civic, worth about $7,000.

Word has it that guy put well over $10,000 of work into that machine. He essentially spent $17,000 on a car that'll only go slightly faster than it would stock. There's so much extra weight on it that any extra horses wrangled with that blower and the mods are null and void. The body kit is horrible, IMO.

Also notice he's got a mega blower cresting through the hood, but he's got a cold air intake, which scoops air from the bottom of the engine for incresed performance. Why have both?

And the interior hurts my eyes. How can he see while driving that thing?

You need to looks a little closer. That scoop on the hood dont feed nothin its just cosmetic. The only blower in that car is the driver!
Army of Das Muppets     

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Ricer of the Year Award
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2003, 01:21:20 PM »
I just bid $40,000.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Ricer of the Year Award
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2003, 01:24:53 PM »
Something doesn't have to be pretty to everyone to be art.  I'd be right alongside y'all if this was just another cookie cutter civic, but this guy was awful creative.  The doors, definately not typical.  The assembly in front, he might have made it by hand, I've never seen that type of a body kit before.  The scoop, btw, is functional and showy, not just showy.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
Ricer of the Year Award
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2003, 01:33:49 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Something doesn't have to be pretty to everyone to be art.  I'd be right alongside y'all if this was just another cookie cutter civic, but this guy was awful creative.  The doors, definately not typical.  The assembly in front, he might have made it by hand, I've never seen that type of a body kit before.  The scoop, btw, is functional and showy, not just showy.

Sorry that scoops only possible function would be to let cool air in. It is not connected in any way to any blower. Since I cant see under the engine where the fresh air intake comes from I cant say it does not have a turbo or a centrifical type blower on it. But that big aluminium scoop is not a blower nor does it connect to a blower.
Army of Das Muppets     

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Ricer of the Year Award
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2003, 01:57:11 PM »

Correction:  Note that blower is a "hilborn" scoop and this scoop is fully functional as a "hood scoop".   The flaps are attached via cable to the throttle body cable. During full throttle, the flaps are fully engaged. A flexible tubing is attached to the AEM intake which in turn is attached to the Aluminium base plate of the hilborn scoop. Also inside the scoop there is an air filter which came with the scoop. Because of the SS hood scoop already attached to my hood, I do have more room to play with. Also the base plate is attached to the hood with reinforcement bars. This has added more weight on the hood but I did notice a vacuum like effect when throttle is fully engaged. I don't really know why but it feel nice. For more info. please email me.

So looking at this, and looking at the pictures with the hood raised (where the "blower" has been removed), am I correct in my non-motorhead assumptions that:
A) The purpose of this device, and of all "scoops" is to improve performance by providing as cool air as possible to the engine intake (and thus allowing for greater compressability).  The air supplied via this scoop is roughly 1 atm, and there is no direct connection between this scoop and the engine (well, maybe that bit of tubing he got from the back of the stove).  It's a fancy hole in the hood.

B) This particular device is designed to look like a "blower", which not only takes in cold air but, powered by a supercharger or turbosupercharger, compresses that air and sends it into the engine intake.

C) Whatever HP advantage this device might provide is more than mitigated by the ridiculous amount of weight and drag it adds.

D) Someone called bull**** on the blower, so he posted the "Correction" above.

E) The "Vacuum" effect is money being sucked out of his wallet, and not the similar, hoover-like sensation the owner hoped to receive when customizing this car.  Heck, even prostitutes won't go near those hydraulic wing doors, lest they lose their teeth.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2003, 02:00:52 PM by Dinger »

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Ricer of the Year Award
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2003, 02:08:58 PM »
He used flex duct OMGROFLMAO.

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
Ricer of the Year Award
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2003, 02:28:44 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Don't look at it as him investing in the car, look at it as a piece of art.

It's a piece of something alright...

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
Ricer of the Year Award
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2003, 02:30:20 PM »
Originally posted by icemaw
[B The only blower in that car is the driver! [/B]

hehehehe...

New Sig Material...Thanks.

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
Ricer of the Year Award
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2003, 03:38:57 PM »
That's a sweet ride!

This quote was spoken by another "ricer" of course.

Ricers are pieces of junk. They put all that crap on their car and it doesn't make it any faster. There are some ricers that actually do stuff to their cars to make them faster, but they're about 1% of the total.
     I'm a domestic car person myself and love to blow the ricers off the road in my Grand Prix GTP. I'm mildly modded and love it when I shut down 7 or 8 cars ahead and they do the ricer "fly by".
     Now I know where all our recycled beer cans went.

:rolleyes: