Author Topic: Convergence/Gunnery Tips?  (Read 413 times)

Teeder1

Convergence/Gunnery Tips?
« on: November 29, 1999, 06:41:00 PM »
Would any of you sharpshooters give a few tips to a newbie concerning convergence/gunnery?  If I'm flying the p-51 what should I set the convergence to?  Should I start firing when the point of convergence is reached, or slightly before?  Any other gunnery tips would be appreciated.

Thanks, Teeder1

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 1999, 07:12:00 PM »
I fly the p51 only. All guns are set at a convergence of 300yrds. On any 6 shots you can hit from 500yrds, but you will rarely get a chance at a good 6 shot (Unless the guys is sleeping or AFK   )..

With the 51 a good lead shot can do the trick. Ive had Spit i was chasin pull a snap shot but i can figure out which way to lead as soon as they start turning.

If you cant hit the plane with a good lead shot,Dont turn after him.. Keep your speed up & regrab Alt.. get at least 3.0 out before turning back.. Spit can snap roll on you 6 in 2 seconds,if you attempt to turn and slow down even a little bit your easy meat.

Also convergence set at 300 does me well in the HO shot.. On the merge i can star shooting at 1.2 out.. Try and track the wing in the HO merge..

Offline -raxx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 1999, 07:18:00 PM »
Teeder,

I fire at my convergence range and only when I'm sure of the shot.  This means not firing beyond the convergence settings.  It's tempting to pray and spray when you start but you have to kick that habit quickly.  I've found that firing lighter guns to get a bead onto the target helps before opening up with the larger cannons which shred the other planes.

My convergence varies with aircraft type but usually sits around the 200 - 250 yard mark if I'm attacking fighters.  If I'm specifically going to hunt bombers then I set the outer guns to 600 yards, (but thats the only when I use the 30mm guns in the FW190).

I adjust the convergence for each gun set for each plane because each plane handles differently, (in the Nik I set convergence at 150-200 yards but the 109 I set at 300).  I tend to set machine guns about 50 to 100 yards further away than cannons.

Remember that increased accuracy doesn't come from setting convergence or what plane you fly or guns you use.  Flying smarter than the other guy and setting up the shot better gets you the kill.  The closer they are the easier it is to hit them =)

Spotcha in the Air

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 1999, 08:02:00 PM »
I set my 51 to 400 yds.

I get good hits in the range of 300 to 500 yds that way.  Of course the sweet spot is 400. The 51 has the most ammo, and you can miss more.  

I generally like to place a "Wall of Lead" and let the hostile plane fly right through it.

On six shots I am generally very fast with a very high closure rate.  My window to shoot is small, so I open up at 500 yds.  I don't follow the break much, maintaining my E-state for another pass.  Sometimes I try to guess the break move and shoot where I expect to the NME to be. (50 - 50 chance, but most like to break left)

This range is a compromise for BUFF hunting, when I generaly open up at 1k out.  I try to take BUFFs from a very high six aspect.

I seldom get one pass kills however, the 51 is more of a "Wound Them Till They Fall Down" type plane.

My logic is at this stage of my game (LOUSY SHOT   ) I spray some what and always stay fast.

For an angles or stall fighter (Spit) I set the  convergence for 250, but most often shoot inside of that.  I ussualy get one burst kills, often fighting just above stall speed.

Hope this helps!  

Mino

Offline fats

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 1999, 09:08:00 PM »
Observe your flying and shooting while flying, note the ranges where you get the most hits. Set convergance there and you will be causing max damage most of the time.

//fats

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 1999, 10:17:00 PM »
When learning, don't worry about ammo.  This doesn't mean hose bullets everywhere...  

Fire in repeated short bursts, and don't be afraid to let them fly.  Between bursts, try and correct your aim.  With practice, you'll learn how much lead to pull to get your shots to connect, then you can worry about saving ammo  

IC

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 1999, 02:40:00 AM »
With the La5 I set convergence to 300, but don't start pressing the button until range is less than that(the two 20mm cannons are spaced about 1.5-2 feet apart, so convergence is not a big issue).

As many have already said in this thread, a key factor in shooting someone down is keeping superior position and/or energy.  Keep these in a fight and, given an isolated situation, you'll eventually get your shot.  And if you don't, you'll be free to rtb at will.

As for getting the actual shot off successfully, well, that takes practice, and plenty of it.  Two primary points for me personally are 1)determine proper lead, and 2)keep it close(give yourself a fat target).

------------------
129 IAP VVS RKKA

ingame: Raz

Teeder1

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 1999, 04:50:00 PM »
I appreciate everyone's input.  A range of choices, between 200-400.  I've been using about 450 with the p-51, I'll try a lower setting as suggested, perhaps start at 350 and work my way down.  One thought, other sims I've played, damage is a bit more noticeable eg.smoke, explosions, etc.  Am I that bad a shot and not creating damage, are others seeing such damage, or is this something still to be completed?

Teeder1

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 1999, 06:13:00 PM »
 Something stil to be completed yet..
 Currently planes do not smoke when hit nor do they blow up when they should or when they smack terra firma.
 I do see hits and pieces missing when up close and that's when I know when to stop shooting  
 One of these days I'll try that zoom thingy like some others do to see closer.

-Westy

Teeder1

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 1999, 06:34:00 PM »
Glad to hear it is coming.  I don't always like to use the zoom, but it is hard to see if any damage is being inflicted.  I have noticed, that on the occasions when I've had the time to check damage on my own plane, all I've ever noticed was half of my wing missing  once or twice.  I figured the damage modeling was still a work in progress, a big job I'm sure.

Teeder1

Sorrow[S=A]

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 1999, 09:13:00 PM »
My convergence is set at 275 with the La5, it's set there after a lot of firing and playing around.
 Mainly I think conv should be set at the LOWEST range you will take a shot at. This means all the dead to rights shots you make will smack them at conv and they take the most damage.
  Something to consider, with most of the guns only 2 meteres apart my conv of 275 means that at 550 yds my shells are still only 2 meteres of spread. Since most bullets start falling off somewhere around the 500-750 yd range this means your still very accurate at that distance despite your low conv.

------------------
If your in range, so is the enemy.

TT

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 1999, 04:41:00 AM »
Wardog. If you can set your conv at 300 and it starts working at 1.2 . There is something very wrong with this game. Or more likely with the dweebstang.

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 1999, 11:07:00 AM »
Not sure on this one, but isn't the 50cal the closest to being the sweetist projectile aerodynamicaly.  

What I mean is, does it have the longest range, lowest drop and smallest dispersion?  The most accurate?  Lowest weight for ammo load?  Or, at least very very good?

Too my understanding this is why the 50cal was chosen as the gun of choice in US Fighters.

Mino

Teeder1

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 1999, 06:15:00 PM »
Wardog,

Can you explain what you mean by "Try and track the wing in the HO merge..".  Thanks.

Teeder1

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 1999, 07:28:00 PM »
The .50's will rip a wing off at convergance...most of the pony drivers who can score on the HO's are very adept at seperating you from your wing. Dont line up on centermass...aim for one wingroot or the other.

Hmble

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson