Author Topic: News  (Read 8856 times)

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
News
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2003, 12:45:50 AM »
Originally posted by Seeker
Point of order! :)

Contrails have nothing to do with exhaust gasses.

Wings (and props) work by messing around with air pressure. Wings create a low pressure area over them selves; and a high pressure area beneath them selves. Props create a low pressure area in front of them selves, and a high pressure area behind them selves.

The amount of water air can support is linked to temperature; which in turn is linked to pressure. If the pressure suddenly drops; all other things being equal; the temperature will drop; and that given volume of air will not be able to support it's prior water content; the water will condense out.

You can see contrails forming at the wing tips in flight in hi G manouvers; and, if the conditions are right; coming off the wings of a modern F1 car.

Wrong.  This pressure change is a temporary effect and the air reverts back to a near original temperature and pressure almost immediately and the condensed water returns to vapour form quickly.  The moisture coming off wings during maneuvering and F1 cars is only seen briefly...  See above post.

Offline Czpetr

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.virtualfighters.net
News
« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2003, 02:19:29 AM »
Some guncam footage showing various tracers and smoke trails:

Guncamera - tracers ( Microsoft MPEG-4 Codec V3)

Notice:
- first two clips shows only tracers, smoke trails are minimal or none
- then are the clips showing various smoke trails (notice footage from Bf110 cockpit showing very huge smoke trails from its cannons)
- last color clips are from USNF planes in Pacific, the tracers are clearly visible but smoke trails are very small or none (notice the rounds bouncing from sea level in last clip).

I think the appearance of smoke trails depend on type of weapon and type of ammo and can be very different.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 02:33:01 AM by Czpetr »

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
News
« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2003, 04:39:40 AM »
Originally posted by empire2
:confused:
Sorry I just read the forum.
Correct me if I am wrong which of course I probably am but werent the tracers in ww2 just wood solid or hollow tips? I thought that when the shell came out of the barrel the wood started to smoke and the rifling in the barrel made the bullet spin making the spiral effect? It is what I have always thought, if I am wrong PLEASE correct me. Id like to know how it works.
:lol sometimes I wonder about me

BTW HTC WONDERFUL JOB!!!I <> YOU ALL!!!

Try hollowed out bullets with highly flamable phospherous in them ;)

Offline Edantes

• Zinc Member
News
« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2003, 09:14:13 AM »
Realistic or not, what the AHII trails remind me of is the Matrix bullet-time effect..!  :D

Having watched the gun-cam videos posted, though...
Real trails are 'softer'/not so stringy.  Of course, programming that would likely result in a big frame-rate hit.  

~EDantes

Offline romad

• Zinc Member
News
« Reply #154 on: October 02, 2003, 03:20:34 PM »
Smoke/Haze/Soot are a secondary effect of light being reflected/refracted/absorbed by microscopic particles in the atmosphere.  When a bullet ejects these particles they have an initial velocity or spin corresponding to that of the bullet.  Due to their low mass they rapidly decelerate and disperse. As the rotational component retards, this deceleration and dispersal becomes a spiral.

-romad

Offline 6389

• Zinc Member
News
« Reply #155 on: October 02, 2003, 07:05:32 PM »
holy **** you sound like a sceintist or something it scaring me lol:eek: :eek: :eek: