Author Topic: News  (Read 8877 times)

Offline fullback

• Copper Member
News
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2003, 11:01:22 AM »
Forget the spiral/spinning/smoke controversy...

How about we start with something like a working AH2 with good-looking cockpits, external modeling and terrains?

IMHO, all the effects eye candy in the world is useless if HTC can't get back to the point where game and terrain bugs are being fixed and additional vehicles being added.

I think we're still a long way away from that point. Of course, I have no information to substantiate my opinion.

As an old guy who's been around the business world for a more than a few years, it smells like HTC is in over their heads with this project. I trust hitech and crew are more than competent technically, but business management is a different skill set.

I keep reading rose notes about how HTC is a small but efficient team. Sometimes staying and thinking small is wrong. The project determines the team size and if sub-contracting should be utilized.

I also read how great HTC is at customer service. I haven't seen any customer service this year (except for Skuzzy's excellent technical answers on the forum). Customer service is only as good as the last episode.

The vast majority of $180/year subscribers don't go to the con and have never met the staff, so impressions are based on any posts or responses (or lack thereof) on this bulletin board. If you want to see a textbook example of poor customer relations, this board is it.

I have no doubt that HTC will continue to thrive because it's a niche market with almost fanatical subscribers. But, HTC could do better in communication. Just because you don't have to do something doesn't mean you shouldn't do it out of professionalism and regard for the customer.

All this leads me to a greater question: If hitech is ever out of commission, does all development cease?

Based on the lack of even a cursory note or two over the last year, I have no choice but to guess that it's never even been considered.

This all reminds me of the old joke:

"We can't get any paperwork done because the phones are ringing off the hook with customer complaints. What should we do?"

"Stop answering the phone."
« Last Edit: September 28, 2003, 11:04:09 AM by fullback »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
News
« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2003, 11:13:46 AM »
I think it's kinda obvious why the smoke spiraled from tracers. The substance on the bullet didn't burn exactly uniformly or wasn't uniformly distributed throughout the bullet. That caused one side of the bullet to produce more smoke. The spin creates the spiral.

Thought about it some more, guess just the vortex from a spinning bullet would produce a smoke spiral from even a uniformly smoking round.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2003, 11:20:59 AM by AKIron »
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
News
« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2003, 11:54:25 AM »
Point of order!  

Contrails have nothing to do with exhaust gasses.

Wings (and props) work by messing around with air pressure. Wings create a low pressure area over them selves; and a high pressure area beneath them selves. Props create a low pressure area in front of them selves, and a high pressure area behind them selves.

The amount of water air can support is linked to temperature; which in turn is linked to pressure. If the pressure suddenly drops; all other things being equal; the temperature will drop; and that given volume of air will not be able to support it's prior water content; the water will condense out.

You can see contrails forming at the wing tips in flight in hi G manouvers; and, if the conditions are right; coming off the wings of a modern F1 car.

You are not quite correct, though this effect is often called a contrail in comman usage. According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration contrails are:

A contrail is the condensation trail that is left behind by a passing jet plane. Contrails form when hot humid air from jet exhaust mixes with environmental air of low vapor pressure and low temperature. Vapor pressure is just a fancy term for the amount of pressure that is exerted by water vapor itself (as opposed to atmospheric, or barometric, pressure which is due to the weight of the entire atmosphere above you). The mixing occurs directly behind the plane due to the turbulence generated by the engine. If condensation (conversion from a gas to a liquid) occurs, then a contrail becomes visible. Since air temperatures at these high atmospheric levels are very cold (generally colder than -40 F), only a small amount of liquid is necessary for condensation to occur. Water is a normal byproduct of combustion in engines.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/Flagstaff/science/contrail.htm

The wingtip vortice process you describe is most often associated with take offs and landings, high g maneuvers in high humidity and tornadoes, not lumbering bomber streams with a thick cloud of condensed vapor forming  exactly behind each of the four engines :)

Now, whether or not a bullet traveling though the right set of conditions can create this effect is still open to debate (because no on has presented  authoritative material to support either position). FWIW I don't doubt it's possible (F-86 guncamera film at high alts in Korea), but probably much more likely over 30,000 feet. Anyway, "smoke trails" is just a minor issue that doesn't impact my gameplay or perception of the game at all.

Charon
« Last Edit: September 28, 2003, 12:03:55 PM by Charon »

Offline Mak333

• Nickel Member
News
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2003, 01:14:55 PM »

I dont know about some of you, but the tracers to me look a little "weak" and "thin"  It kinda looks like an underwater pistol was fired underwater and thats kinda the bullet and its motion through the water.  I think it needs to be fatter in my opinion (the smoke/tracer effect)  It just looks too corny to me.  If I am wrong, please correct me.
Mak

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
News
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2003, 01:33:29 PM »
you whiners are probably the reason why HTC rarely posts info or screenshots of AH2.

You are never happy, why not wait 'til the finished article before picking it apart?
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
News
« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2003, 10:50:17 AM »
bcause they want to get there whines outta the way now that way they wont have to waste time they could spend playing the game whining about it ;)

Offline Kaz

• Silver Member
News
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2003, 12:02:44 PM »
Mak333 check the last pic in the set, you'll see the tracer smoke as it disperses. What you're seeing in the pic that you posted is probably a fraction of a second i.e. not the total effect. Hard to say what it'll look like without seeing it in motion.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
News
« Reply #127 on: September 30, 2003, 06:17:40 AM »
Yes that's nice, but the truce is I was waiting or something better...the plane and scene lightning is basic, the ground textures except the houses are the same, I was even asking myself if the first is really AH2 and not AH1...anyway I hope the final version will make me lie...see you round guys
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
News
« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2003, 06:41:57 AM »
:rolleyes: You wonder why HTC are reluctant to post screenshots when this is the reaction?  I tell you, I have seen AH2 in the flesh at the Con, and these screenshots don't really do it justice - it looked fantastic!  :D
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
News
« Reply #129 on: September 30, 2003, 07:18:36 AM »
Originally posted by Flossy
:rolleyes: You wonder why HTC are reluctant to post screenshots when this is the reaction?  I tell you, I have seen AH2 in the flesh at the Con, and these screenshots don't really do it justice - it looked fantastic!  :D

flossy i understand you feeling this sort of talk is whining but honestly now consider the fact that these people HAVENT seen it in the flesh. I havent seen it running apart from a very dark and basic looking video filmed over dales shoulder.
I admit it looked great but then im an avid fan, some of the posters in here have heard and seen nothing but these pics and even I was a tad dissapointed by them. I really decided to hope they were just not doing it justice and as i said im going to wait until i see it in motion before i decide.

This claim that a few people questioning what they see in a screen shot causing a company to stop posting seems a bit rediculous to me. Instead of HTC staff developing thicker skin and being able to take any complaint as proffesionals do, it seems most in here consider them almost 'diva types' like some easily upset immature popstar.sheesh cant they take the bad with the good like the rest of the working world?
Comon! they are adults and have been developing games for years.They have , like us seen the games that impress with new graphics or new gameplay and im sure they must know what looks good and will impress customers by now.So a few arent too impressed? so what? we cant tell them to shut up just because we dont agree.We all pay the same money aand to me each and every customer desrves equal 'air time' to air their veiws.
To be honest I think its the only way to improve.If everyone turns into 'yes men' then the game wouldnt need an update.

Having said that flossy since you HAVE seen it running and YOU say it looks great IM prepared to take your word and wait it out in hope youre right :) I dont however consider customers veiws whines. I think its rude to claim they always are. You certainly wouldnt say that to a customer that came to see you face to face would you?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 07:20:57 AM by hazed- »

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
News
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2003, 08:27:23 AM »
Very true, Hazed.

I understand HTC offers great customer support, they are fine people and have a great product.

This does not make them impervious to criticism, though.

People should be allowed to voice their honest opinion about HTC without getting flamed to no end.

Offline blackwitch

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.whitewitchweb.clara.co.uk
News
« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2003, 10:49:19 AM »
I'd also like to add that I would HATE for my posts to be considered "whines".... the opposite could only be true of me, if I didn't (really) like AH (1 or 2) I'd just leave and play some other Sim' I wouldn't bemoan it.

My posts (I would consider) were more observations compared to what I've seen in Gun camera films and from my own experience of firearms and I have to go from the few screenshots as I aint sen it in the flesh yet.

However one thing that has come out of this thread is that several people feel strongly enough to comment, that's got to be a good thing for any Sim . people caring enough to offer opinions... and I'm just chucking in my ha'penneth worth of opinion...for what it's worth.. ;)

The mention of "incendiary rounds" is something I've no experience of and this may well be something we're seeing in camera films..still this all gives us something to do between logging on and sighing when it goes straight to the arena selection screen instead of downloading an update :(

p.s. I still reckon the option of tracer bullet = ON and tracer smoke = OFF would be nice, but I'll wait and see what the end product looks like.

:D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 10:54:08 AM by blackwitch »

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
News
« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2003, 11:45:50 AM »
Originally posted by hazed-
I dont however consider customers veiws whines. I think its rude to claim they always are. You certainly wouldnt say that to a customer that came to see you face to face would you?
Where have I mentioned the word "whine" in that post?  I was simply saying that having seen  the real thing at the Con, the screenshots didn't do it full justice.  What's wrong with that?
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
News
« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2003, 12:45:38 PM »
What were the specs of the machine running it at the con?

Offline mrblack

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
News
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2003, 01:12:35 PM »
I reserve judgment till i see the game in action.
When ever that will be;)