Author Topic: Honch's Guide to HO'ing  (Read 4121 times)

Offline F4i

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ghost-squadron.org/main/frame.html
Honch's Guide to HO'ing
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2003, 06:08:00 PM »

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
Honch's Guide to HO'ing
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2003, 08:55:03 PM »
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
Honch's Guide to HO'ing
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2003, 08:25:36 AM »
yep 50 cals are the best because they range out to 1400 yards before the FM removes them .LW 20mm never gets further than 800 yards 13mm about 1100-1200 yards.

Basically as bullets are modeled for a TIMED period  (i think its 3 secs or so) any lower velocity gun has much less range. Even if you were able to aim correctly to hit a target way out at 1300 yards your bullets will never reach it.

basically 50 caliber has a huge advantage in range: some 500 yards!

I personally think this is wrong and favours a certain type of hgher velocity round (ie 50 cals and M2/M3 20mm) . For me i think all bullets should be modeled to a set distance(say 1300 yards).this way they have equal range and only the difficulty of judging their trajectory comes into play even if they have almost lost all their velocity the slower heavier 20mm to 40mm round filled with HE explosive will still explode on contact. This would allow really good marksmen to hit from range.As AH is now it doesnt matter how well you aim, nothing over that 3 second limit will hit. For ground attack this means you have to get some 500 yards closer than a 50 cal armed aircraft just to have your bullets register.

the stated EFFECTIVE range for a 30mm MK103 or BK5 50mm is 800METERS
MG151 20mm and MK108 30mm is stated at 400 meters so i guess its reasonably fair to say they wouldnt be much use at long range but it still doesnt mean the odd lucky hit wouldnt happen.
The effective range of the pre 1947 M2 50cal(muzzle vel:2,810ft/sec)? Im not sure.
I have the chart from Robert shaws book but it doesnt mention effective ranges
Id like to see what it was so i could better evaluate the current AH system.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Honch's Guide to HO'ing
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2003, 08:44:06 AM »
Range also varies with altitude Hazed. Higher = longer.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
Honch's Guide to HO'ing
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2003, 09:35:12 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Range also varies with altitude Hazed. Higher = longer.

I didnt know that. What range can you hit out to at high alt with the various guns? does the 50 cal go past 1500 yards?

this all seems a bit in favour of one particular type of gun, ie high muzzle velocity types. Its a real shame as the slower ones obviously had something that kept them in service. If AH were the area for me to judge a weapon and if i was a WW2 designer I would immediately change them to a higher speed gun. Things like Mg151/15mm would be used in place of the 20mm. the real shame is we are unable to adapt to our enviroment.We have slow muzzle velocity guns regardless of their lack of effectiveness(in AH at least)

Wouldnt the LW have changed over to Hispanos if they had a 500 yard disadvantage in range like we have? They had hispanos and never used them, I suspect they felt their guns had some sort of advantage over them which they needed.If they were fighting that war in AH though i suspect they would have changed them pretty quickly.
ah well what can you do? :D

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Honch's Guide to HO'ing
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2003, 10:32:42 AM »
Note to Honch:

Modify Rule #7 to account for altitude differences and the increased distances at which one may begin the HO attack at higher altitudes.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
Honch's Guide to HO'ing
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2003, 04:41:30 PM »
hehe, reading this is good for some laughs. I usually give a determined ho a short burst at about 1.1 and pull hard up and to the left. Barrell rolls fun too. When I first started playing indecision got me into a bunch.

Most of the time I've had someone gripe at me on an HO, I didnt see them making any avoidance moves either prior, just unfortunate for them they got the wrong side of the kill.

I've been getting better at lead turns anyway, so dont try that ho bs with me anymore guys or be prepared to eat flaming death! :)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Honch's Guide to HO'ing
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2003, 02:13:55 PM »
Originally posted by Pei
HO is a historical tactic. So are the people who refuse to HO being gamey? :)

With a very few exceptions (Richard Bong being one) the vast majority of pilots avoided the Head ON simply because it was so dangerous to both pilots. No countries pilot training schools taught their pupils that the HO was a viable tactic. The objective was to bring yourself AND your plane home...preferably in one piece.

Just a question. How does a very select few make it historical? Your statement makes it sound like pilots the world over made it a habit to joust in midair :rolleyes:
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Honch's Guide to HO'ing
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2003, 02:19:30 PM »
Originally posted by 1K0N
I can work on the phrase shane a little more but I have to tell ya
 using the word dweeb in any sentence makes me feel kind of
kindergardenish... We need to find a word to replace the childish term Dweeb with! phacephag isn't bad, it gets the point across!!
 But it needs a little more umffff to it..

Is that so....

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/defaultframe.html

Must feel pretty kindergardenish on that post eh? :rofl
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.