Author Topic: Frame Rate Stinks!!!  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Frame Rate Stinks!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2003, 10:48:38 AM »
Yes Tillie.  Microsoft engineered DX to run at maximum CPU percentages.  This allows the best performance.

It also gives you a clue as to something being wrong with your system if DX cannot acquire over 95% of the CPU.

If you are only getting 50% CPU for AH/DX, then something is stealing a lot of CPU cycles, which would be other software running in background.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline aw3dhg

• Zinc Member
Frame Rate Stinks!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2003, 08:51:13 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Yes Tillie.  Microsoft engineered DX to run at maximum CPU percentages.  This allows the best performance.

It also gives you a clue as to something being wrong with your system if DX cannot acquire over 95% of the CPU.

If you are only getting 50% CPU for AH/DX, then something is stealing a lot of CPU cycles, which would be other software running in background.

does this hold true even for newer HT enabled machines like mine  I get 2 cpu usage graphs and one is idle during ah play even though ah is all that is running .. I ask because in order to bench my system using Prime95 torture test I have to run 2 seperate instances of the program (open one normally and the other from the run dialog with this command to test this if you have a "C" class p-4 system ""C:\Program Files\Prime95\Prime95.exe" -a2") to reach 100 percent system capacity  otherwise only 1 of the cpu's is used by that program which is designed to use all cpu cycles for the benchmarking process .. I suspect this is an exception to the AH displays 100% usage rule and should be noted for HT system users

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Frame Rate Stinks!!!
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2003, 07:26:05 AM »
DX is not multi-threaded, so it will only use one CPU, regardless of hom many there are.  The one CPU should show over 95% usage.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Tillie38

• Zinc Member
Frame Rate Stinks!!!
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2003, 11:31:02 AM »
Thanks for the reply Skuzzy.

It is true that AH is using only 50% of the CPU but the other 50% is idle.  Thats the part that doesn't make sense.  No other processes are taking more than 1% of the prcessors time.  Yet my total processor usage never exceeds 60% even during very slow frame rate times.  Any ideas?  
This is on XP by the way.

Thx.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Frame Rate Stinks!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2003, 11:37:36 AM »
If a process is not showing to use any CPU time, is not listed, then the CPU time usage is coming from the OS dealing with some external influence.
Such as network DOS attacks, some device driver (other than video) hung in a loop, interrupt floods from some hardware device, or a rather long list of other things.

Basically, the OS is using the CPU in handling with some external situation, which will not show in the process list.  What does the "System Idle Process" show as its percentage?  It is a clue that the OS is having to deal with something.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Cooley

• Silver Member
Frame Rate Stinks!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2003, 01:24:46 PM »
When out of game, "System Idle Process" is 99%,
When in Game SIP is 50% and AH is 50%

Is this ok? any tips to fix would be welcome

S!
Cooleyof 367th

Offline Tillie38

• Zinc Member
Frame Rate Stinks!!!
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2003, 08:37:39 AM »
I was finally able to verify that my SIP is also at 50% while playing AH also.  I wonder why. :confused:

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
Frame Rate Stinks!!!
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2003, 04:58:29 PM »
Ok i have CPU usage percentage showing as 50% when in AH.

However i think the reason is its treating both threads of hyperthreading as 100% and if your only using in effect 1 cpu then the display shows only 50% as the total cpu usage.

In support of this the 2 graphs displayed for cpu usage, the thread in use shows around 90 - 95% peaking in the graph but the other thread of course is idling.

Offline Tillie38

• Zinc Member
Frame Rate Stinks!!!
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2003, 06:47:28 PM »
Whoops...I'm on a single processor machine.  Still 50% SIP.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Frame Rate Stinks!!!
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2003, 09:35:04 PM »
Sytem Idle of %50 is not good.  This means there is something causing the OS to use up resources.  

System idle should be 0 when AH is running, or any DX based program actually.

In normal circumstances, that is what should be happening.  If your system is not doing that, then you need to dig deep and find out why.  Could be a virus, a worm, an errant Windows process, a bad driver, or a malady of other things.

In a multi-threaded computer system, one of the CPU's should show more than 95% being used by AH and the CPU Idle for that CPU should be 0.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
Frame Rate Stinks!!!
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2003, 09:12:27 AM »
For a multi threaded system the problem as far as i can see is it bundles both threads together to make a total of 100%, it does not show individual thread CPU idle resources.

However it does show individual thread CPU usage ie load but only on the graphs display.

So when one thread is running AH at 95% approx usage, you can expect the other thread to show near zero cpu usage.

Because the cpu idle process bundles both threads together it does of course show approx 50% idle process.

Offline Marco50

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Frame Rate Stinks!!!
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2003, 05:15:45 PM »
Flossy can u help me out with becomeing a CM?.....Pls :)

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Frame Rate Stinks!!!
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2003, 07:04:22 PM »
Nice thread hijack!  :rofl See my reply to your other thread. :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun