Author Topic: Setup for Friday, October 3, 2003  (Read 1410 times)

Offline TimRas

• Nickel Member
Let There Be Whine...
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2003, 08:27:03 AM »
Originally posted by eddiek

PS--To those who want to see the Hawgs in action, wait til my next setup, please.  This is a USAAF versus the Japanese setup.........your time is coming, I promise.  ;)

USAAF had the P-47D at the time. Best Allied unperked 'fighters' in this setup seem to be A-20G (faster than P-40 at sea level), and SBD (which can almost turn with Zeros). But don't let historical accuracy come into way of the Sacred Game Balance.

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
I know, TimRas.....
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2003, 09:03:27 AM »
The P-47 was in theater, but if I include it (much as I would love to.....I am a confirmed JUGLOVER and unashamed to admit it) then the USAAF has TWO fighters that have the ability to hit and run, disengage at will (IF the pilots are smart and get some alt under them.......low and slow both the P-38 and P-47 should be dead meat for the Zeroes and Ki-61).  The Pacific was the theater in which the P-38 really shined, and I don't want to detract from that by adding the P-47 at this time.

At the start of this setup, USAAF pilots are going to be hard pressed to get their perk built up, as the A6M2 and A6M5 are both more maneuverable, and the A6M5 is as fast as the P-40E.
Things will become a bit easier as the week goes by and they build up perks and have the ability to fly the Lightning.

It is not all about "SACRED GAMEPLAY BALANCE" as you put it.  I take this position on the CT Staff very seriously, and try to find a way to put all the planes for BOTH sides into my setups that I can within the target time period.
Problem is, if either side has an aircraft that is clearly superior to it's opponents, more and more players gravitate to that side and soon we are looking at ratios of 2:1, 3:1, and I have even seen 4:1 ratios at times.  That is not much fun for the outnumbered side, I think you will admit, and it usually ends up with a gripefest here and in the arena, and lower attendance to boot.
There are a several variations to the planeset in this particular time period, and over time, I intend to use most or all of them at one time or another.
One thing to remember whenever we run a Pac setup:
The Japanese never fielded a fighter that had the speed of the P-38, F4U, P-47, or P-51.  Ever.  Closest thing that comes to mind is the Ki-84, and it still falls short by about 25mph of the slowest of that group.  What the Japanese gave up in speed they gained in turning ability and low speed maneuverability.

Offline Skyfoxx

• Silver Member
Setup for Friday, October 3, 2003
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2003, 09:26:36 AM »
A USAAF link that may be of interest to some..
USAAF Chronology

"Consider your own fortunes gentlemen the deepest circle of hell is reserved for traitors and mutineers."

Offline snocone

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2003, 09:46:16 AM »
hooray

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
Arena is now OPEN
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2003, 09:46:34 AM »
Only changes from my original description were:

Fuel Multiplier set to 1.4
Ki-61 perked at 4 points (easy to get in less than a day)

P-38 is available at A1 and A41 only
Ki-61 is available at A12 and A15 only

Have fun, ladies and gents!  !

Offline pangea

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2003, 09:49:17 AM »
Sounds like a well thought out setup Eddie....  Am looking forward to flying both sides.  Since I tend to fly for whichever side has low numbers, I'm guessing I might be flying Allied early in the week and Axis later in the week.

Kantorri...thats an interesting photo.  Do you have any details regarding those aircraft?  The Zero in the foreground looks as it should, but the Zero in the background doesn't quite look right to me.

Offline scJazz

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2003, 10:29:26 AM »
Originally posted by pangea
Sounds like a well thought out setup Eddie....  Am looking forward to flying both sides.  Since I tend to fly for whichever side has low numbers, I'm guessing I might be flying Allied early in the week and Axis later in the week.

Kantorri...thats an interesting photo.  Do you have any details regarding those aircraft?  The Zero in the foreground looks as it should, but the Zero in the background doesn't quite look right to me.

Rear Zero has elevators mounted higher and doesn't have as large an intake under the nose. Wonder what version it is?

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2003, 10:31:57 AM »
Pangea, I don't know the details of that picture. My Squadmate send it to me today (he find it from internet) and I put it there because I like it!

Does anybody know the history of those planes or this photo?:confused:
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment

Offline TimRas

• Nickel Member
Re: I know, TimRas.....
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2003, 11:06:49 AM »
Originally posted by eddiek

It is not all about "SACRED GAMEPLAY BALANCE" as you put it...

Problem is, if either side has an aircraft that is clearly superior to it's opponents, more and more players gravitate to that side

Looks like you are contradicting yourself.. But, OK, I understand that too unbalanced numbers is not good. Although I haven't noticed that in the few months I have been around, even when there have been planes like Spit IX and XIV. There seems to have been enough players to take the challenge.
I just feel that CT is *the* arena you should recreate the historical planeset as accurately as possible. After reading many WW2 aviation books I am interested to know how these aircraft perform against eachother in simulation (I always try both sides).
Anyway, eddiek, don't take my and other peoples whining too seriously. I am glad to fly this setup as it is, and I appreciate CT staffers and mapmakers voluntary efforts very highly.

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
Don't know for sure........
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2003, 12:02:39 PM »
But to me, that Zero in the background looks like one of the AT-6 Texans converted to look like a Zero.

TimRas, I may have contradicted myself, but it was not on purpose.  What I want to get across is that over time, I will try to get as many of the planes that did see action against one another into my setups.  Just not all at once.
I value very highly feedback from players, always have, always will.  Heck, I am first and foremost a player, and I want to have fun just as much as the next person.
If and when we get more Japanese planes (not just fighters either), the Allied planesets in my setups will expand accordingly.  For instance, if and when we get the much anticipated Ki-84, you will see more P-47/P-38 tandems and even some P-51B/D and P-47 combos.
Until then, it is all about compromise.  I do my best to live up to the description Pyro initially gave the arena:

"A new arena is now up. It's called "Combat Theater" and deals with historical, quasi-historical and perhaps even what-if setups. The Theater will rotate between different settings. How long that rotation period will be dictated by response." (from 8-9-2001 in the News, Announcements, and Information)

That may mean that from time to time one side or another will have an advantage, but I will do my best to represent as accurately as possible any particular time period I can without causing either side to have such a huge advantage that no one attends.  I feel that the CT staff have to walk a fine line between historical accuracy and "what will draw players to the arena".
Just my thoughts...........!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2003, 12:24:27 PM »
Seems what's brought players to the CT most often has been the pizza map and nightime in the MA. Perhaps if all the dedicated CT players swamp HT with really crappy MA maps, we could increase the population of the CT on a more regular basis.

Offline najdorf

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2003, 01:15:29 PM »
On behalf of the VF-17 Jolly Rogers, I would like to extend a note of appreciation to EddieK for this setup and other PTO's to be perfected in the future which will have corsairs.

You have the support of this group of hog drivers.  

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
say hello to my little friend
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2003, 01:39:50 PM »

Tony the Tiger :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2003, 02:01:02 PM »
Najdorf, you guys got yer work cut out for ya.
I just logged a bit ago and it is TOUGH to be in the USAAF in the CT right now.
13-4 odds when I logged in, and most of the Japanese were in Ki67's or A6M5b's.........not a friendly enviroment if you are in a P-40E, lemme tell ya.
I got 6 buffs in two sorties, so I am now able to up a P-38 when I get back into the arena after my boys get home from school.
May have to move the P-38 up closer to the front today just to get it into play, but I don't wanna be premature on that decision.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2003, 03:14:05 PM »
yep

take out the betty and the A20 - A20 hosed up last week

and nothing wants to catch & mess with a betty
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals