Author Topic: Turning (rudder or not rudder)  (Read 140 times)

Offline janneh

• Copper Member
Turning (rudder or not rudder)
« on: December 06, 1999, 02:14:00 AM »
OK, this is propably one of those basic things, but when you're turning, say left, do you roll your plane 90° to left and then pull your stick or do you roll about 45° and apply left rudder to make your plane turn ?
Which way is more E friendly ?
I don't mean emergency turning, where propably rolling 90° way is more effective.

Do you achieve any advantage by using left rudder in turn compared to bogey on your 6, whos not using rudder (ie he rolls 90°)?

Thanks in advance !

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 1999, 02:49:00 AM »
Hmm good question,only time i turn my p51 is lining up the runway to land  

p51 flat turn well & keeps its E. So i dont use rudder unless im doing evassives,only thing that keeps me from hitting the deck  

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 1999, 03:14:00 AM »
if doing less than a 90 degree roll, then a little rudder will help cut on E expenditure.  if one does a turn from say a 45 degree angle and pulls up a bit, then the plane will 'slide' into the turn, but not necessarily cut into it.  thus, the fuselage may create some drag from the off angle.  a little rudder in the direction of the turn will point the nose back into it.

------------------
129 IAP VVS RKKA

ingame: Raz

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 1999, 05:57:00 AM »
Just wondering if the "big guys" with their huge props and mass didn't get affected by adverse yaw? I use rudder primarily to correct it, leading a turn with a bit of rudder.

------------------
-lynx-
13 Sqn RAF

Offline Aussie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 1999, 07:02:00 AM »
You should always apply sufficient rudder in a turn to counteract adverse yaw. Any adverse yaw (created by the ailerons) will result in the aircraft becoming "side-on" to the direction of travel which causes drag resulting in lost energy. No matter how much or little roll you apply, your going to need some rudder. The amount you need will depend entirely on the aircraft.

------------------
aussie
-----
Any ship can be a minesweeper... once.

Offline bigred

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 1999, 11:37:00 AM »
since my 1st flight lesson, the old rules always apply....

"step on the ball".....

the turn coordinator is actually an important instrument, one of the most important for an efficient E-fighter (at least until perfectly co-ordinated flight becomes 2nd nature)...  

The basic rule is: keep the ball centered in the middle of the gauge... if it slides to one side or the other "step on the ball"....

Thus if the ball is sliding to the left of the gauge... apply sufficent left rudder to center it...

Eventually you will intuitively learn how much rudder to apply as you turn... and you will be conserving the maximum amount of E...

Anytime the ball is not centered, the plane is not traveling in the direction the nose is pointed and thus you are exposing more of the fuselage to the airstream and creating more drag, and blowing E....

Of course with practice comes the wisdom to know when it is DESIRABLE to fly un-coordinated, but thats a different lesson.

-bigred