Author Topic: IS History Repeating Itself - Deja Vue?  (Read 160 times)

Offline Hobo

• Zinc Member
IS History Repeating Itself - Deja Vue?
« on: September 21, 1999, 10:47:00 PM »
I got into this online flight sim addiction the day before 1.09 was released in WB's.  Since that time I've heard a lot about AW, WB, and now AH.  

If I'm right, WB's was created because HT, GJ, and Killer were dissapointed in the direction of AW (or lack thereof).  As WB's developed over the past few years it's done some of the exact same things as AW, with regards to game play.  Landing to capture fields transformed into dropping troops.  Different arena for different levels of realism, and many other minor issues.

Does anyone agree that we are seeing history repeat itself to a certain degree?  It seems AH is here because Dale and Doug love on-line flight sims and they have what it takes to make a better one...again.  They've perceived a need and are filling it, just as the early days of CK/WB's. It looks like they will succeed.  

Just a couple thoughts.

Hobo

-nr-1-

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 1999, 03:51:00 AM »
*Yawn*

no

// -nr-1-

-Ireg-

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 1999, 04:10:00 AM »
They will fulfill a dream again? LOL!

No...

Offline Curly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 1999, 07:29:00 AM »
 Not speaking of course for anyone but I've
never seen HiTech or the old ICI guys
talk about being displeased where AW was
headed (although the sudden stop in MAC support SUCKED) but I beleive it was more a feeling of AW was not DEVELOPING...period...
..at all.  There was NO competition and no competition breeds complacency imho.
 AW has the same damage model, the same
weapon model and more or less the same flight
model.  No ground handling (for those who
like to ground handle <eye roll> ) no trim
....on second thought trim aint a plus anyway for <cough> that OTHER sim as it's just a
gimmick and not real...
 AW has had major revisions in the last three years and it would be interesting if they would have had there still been no competition...
 Anyway. Just my two lire'  

--Curly

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 1999, 09:20:00 AM »
The main reason AW and WB's are failing, is because they've tried to introduce too much in too short of time.  

I hope that they keep this sim simple.  To make it successful you need only a few things:
1.) Fighters
2.) Bombers
3.) Targets for bombers which have a strategic need for defending by fighters.

That's it.

------------------
-Rebel 487th Lil' Bastards
"You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others. Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be."
--Ernest Hemingway
"You rebel scum"

Offline Curly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 1999, 09:49:00 AM »

You're out in left field Rebel.

AW is losing ground cause it's OLD.
 WB's is losing ground cause of internal
 politics and bad top managment decisions.

If all you want is fighters, bombers and
targets for the bombers well hell....AW and
RedBaron on INN had that *years* ago.

Rebel, have you ever flown in a 'scenario'
before?

--Curly

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 1999, 12:06:00 PM »
Yeah!  I love the scenarios.  I fly hardly anyhing but the HA. (when it's in ETO, that is   )

------------------
-Rebel 487th Lil' Bastards
"You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others. Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be."
--Ernest Hemingway
"You rebel scum"

Offline Hobo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 1999, 02:08:00 PM »
Curly, Please accept my apologies.  I didn't mean to insinuate anything bad about AW.  I just meant to show that HT, Killer, and GJ, weren't pleased with AW in the cencept of it not going anywhere.  Just as you said.  Sorry for the confusion.

Hobo  

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 1999, 11:47:00 PM »
Hobo to help Curly on alittle and some what agree with you, I read Ht defending AW and he is still active in IEN owns stock or something dot remember how. I believe HT and Hotseat still talk and or HT helps out on Warbirds remember that is his baby also. It is only going threw some growing pains. Aces High will go threw growing pains also Betas  are rarely perfect you know. I have seen this game we are going to have fun and agrevations but it will come threw pretty good. So is history repeating its self? You bet your A#% it is.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon

http://www.geocities.com/~tltoon