Author Topic: First overt Israeli military action vs. Syrian territory 2 decades  (Read 2204 times)

Offline AKWeav

• Nickel Member
First overt Israeli military action vs. Syrian territory 2 decades
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 08:08:13 AM »
In the occupied Gaza Strip, Israel launched two helicopter attacks on the homes of resistance fighters.

Well we know who's side Aljazeera is on. I would call them terrorists.  :rolleyes:

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2003, 08:13:56 AM »
Actually that AlJazeera report is far more reasonable than I have come to expect from them.

Offline strk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2003, 08:15:04 AM »
maybe history's ultimate justification for the iraqi war will be that we had a large troop presence in the middle east at the same time that that powder keg exploded . . .

my first reaction to this story was - oh no here we go.  But I dont think it is ww3 just yet

strk

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2003, 08:17:35 AM »
Originally posted by strk
maybe history's ultimate justification for the iraqi war will be that we had a large troop presence in the middle east at the same time that that powder keg exploded . . .

Well that was always the devious plan, no?  Think black helicopters...  :)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2003, 09:14:14 AM »
WTFG Isreal!  It's about time.

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2003, 10:53:19 AM »
'For the record' I was just posting a link to the news.

Opinion-wise, there's definitely a good side and a bad side to the attack.

Mike/wulfie

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2003, 11:14:32 AM »
Originally posted by wulfie
'For the record' I was just posting a link to the news.

Opinion-wise, there's definitely a good side and a bad side to the attack.

Mike/wulfie

Clue us in? =)

Personally I think it is good because it puts the media light on the Syria-terrorist connections. Alot of ppl in the west need to be told about those. It also shows the pals that Israel will not stop at the border when going after the top level terrorists in the future.

On the other hand, its bad because it means the Israelis wont remove Arafat right now. And it is never good for the arab blood pressure to have the Israelis smack around yet another arab nation.

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2003, 12:39:37 PM »
Aug 14
"Wherever al Qaeda terrorists try to hide, from the caves and mountains of Central Asia to the islands of the Philippines to the cities in Pakistan, we are finding them and we are bringing them to justice," Bush said.

Oct 5
“Any country who harbors terrorism, who trains (terrorists), supports and encourages them will be responsible to answer for their actions,” Israeli government spokesman Avi Pazner said.

Sounds like we are finally on the same page ............
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2003, 12:56:30 PM »
Sure does.

I think Israel better watch itself though.If she gets too overzealous, she could be on the receiving end of a Pan-Arab Smack down.

Offline ViFF

• Copper Member
      • http://www.101squadron.com/
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2003, 01:01:23 PM »
allow me to clue you all in:

This attack took place within 10 miles of Damascus.

President Bashar Assad approved this, and also made sure that Syrian GCI & air defenses (which include enough SA-10 & SA-6 SAM networks to make your head spin) were all shut down during this attack.

I don't know the details, but it seems that Assad Jr. is too weak to handle things internally, and welcomed this clandestine strike against the islamic jihad camp that we hit. He has been requested by the USA to close down the offices and power bases of several terror organisations, but has not complied yet - more because of his inability rather then unwillingness to do so.

like they say... "The enemy of my enemy is my friend...

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2003, 01:28:04 PM »
I wonder if this might be a prelude to a strike in Iran...
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2003, 01:34:03 PM »
Originally posted by ViFF
allow me to clue you all in:

This attack took place within 10 miles of Damascus.

President Bashar Assad approved this, and also made sure that Syrian GCI & air defenses (which include enough SA-10 & SA-6 SAM networks to make your head spin) were all shut down during this attack.

I don't know the details, but it seems that Assad Jr. is too weak to handle things internally, and welcomed this clandestine strike against the islamic jihad camp that we hit. He has been requested by the USA to close down the offices and power bases of several terror organisations, but has not complied yet - more because of his inability rather then unwillingness to do so.

like they say... "The enemy of my enemy is my friend...

I wonder if Syria's cooperation has anything to do with the 200,000 American soldiers they suddenly found living next door...

hmmmm...

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2003, 01:39:38 PM »
'quick and dirty and short' response:

Syrian leadership has been trying to work with U.S. and Allies. They are caught between strong anti-Israel groups in Syria and pressure on them from outside Syria to crack down on terrorists.

Israel attacking puts the leadership in even tougher spot now, as some of their supporters may not be all for eliminating Israel but Arab culture doesn't do well with the 'turn the cheek and wait before losing control' mentality. A lot of Syrians that were 'on the fence' about Israel could very well be swung in favor of 'Israel must die' not because they are Jews but because they 'besmirched the collective Syrian manhood' by striking so close to the capitol, etc.

I'm not saying Syria has done a 'great job' of 'getting in line with everyone on terrorism' but they have certainly been attempting to do so. Any Syrian in a senior leadership position who has been in favor of 'jumping on the anti-terrorism bus' has just been put in a really tight spot. Their 'political' (ideological might be a better word) opponents just got a big club to whack them in the head with argument-wise. "We should sit and let the Jews bomb us and appear as weaklings to the world?", etc.

Mike/wulfie

Offline ViFF

• Copper Member
      • http://www.101squadron.com/
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2003, 01:39:41 PM »
This isn't the first time we strike inside another sovriegn country against palestinian terror bases. read up on black september in the early 70's.