Author Topic: Sheckter / Brack Crash  (Read 861 times)

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Sheckter / Brack Crash
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2003, 05:28:51 PM »
Greg Moore's was pretty horrific as well.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Sheckter / Brack Crash
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2003, 05:40:16 PM »
Yeah those were a couple of bad ones.
Krosnoff... There were 3 cars going into the corner... then dust and smoke... and where's the 3rd car?  Nothing left.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Sheckter / Brack Crash
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2003, 07:43:40 PM »
Yeah, seeing that made me think of Krosnoff's crash.  At least it wasn't a solid wall.

I'm impressive Brack survived that one, but crashes like that leave their mark for life.

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
Sheckter / Brack Crash
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2003, 07:50:02 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster
IIf I'm not mistaken, they had to cancel an Indy car race at Texas last year because it was shown that the track could support speeds so fast that the drivers were blacking out from the g-forces.  I can imagine those cars were screaming when they touched wheels.

This happened a couple of years ago and it wasnt IRL....it was CART.  The cars were running 235 mph in qualifying and drivers would get out after their run and would be too dizzy to stand up.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
Sheckter / Brack Crash
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2003, 08:59:31 PM »
Yep they were peaking at 6 g due to the banking.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
Sheckter / Brack Crash
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2003, 10:14:35 PM »
So does that make Texas the fastest track(closed circuit) in the world?

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
Sheckter / Brack Crash
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2003, 10:32:07 PM »
Originally posted by Udie
YEAH, that sounds like paul tracy :D  Hmmm maybe they were right about pot smoking and memory.....what were we talking about?

They are both Canadians and they were both fairly new back then.

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Sheckter / Brack Crash
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2003, 10:35:36 PM »
Originally posted by Gadfly

I'm not sure but imagine the speeds they would get at Daytona or Talladega...........

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
Sheckter / Brack Crash
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2003, 10:36:15 PM »
Originally posted by Gadfly

The California track is the fastest I know of.  They were running race laps at average speed over 240 mph before they changed the rules to slow the cars. Pole was 242 something.  Michigan is almost identical.  Andre Ribeiro recorded 258 mph through the speed trap there in 1995 with a Honda-Reynard.  I think the CART cars of that era would have gone even faster at Talladega though.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Sheckter / Brack Crash
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2003, 11:09:07 PM »
Originally posted by FUNKED1
The California track is the fastest I know of.  They were running race laps at average speed over 240 mph before they changed the rules to slow the cars. Pole was 242 something.  Michigan is almost identical.  Andre Ribeiro recorded 258 mph through the speed trap there in 1995 with a Honda-Reynard.  I think the CART cars of that era would have gone even faster at Talladega though.

Now that is friggin' scary....*shudders
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
Sheckter / Brack Crash
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2003, 11:12:08 PM »
Yeah, I didn't even think of Talli-they should go run a car just to set a new closed course record.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Sheckter / Brack Crash
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2003, 08:30:14 AM »
Originally posted by Dinger
Yeah, seeing that made me think of Krosnoff's crash.  At least it wasn't a solid wall.

The accident occurred on the 92nd lap out of 98, at the Toronto Molson-Indy in Canada just after the start-finish line, at the fastest section of the track. The track was an 11 turn temporary street circuit. Coming down the straight at over 180mph (~290kph), Krosnoff made wheel to wheel contact with Stephan Johansson, flipping his car into the air. The car went airborne into the fence, a steel catch fence similar to the catch fences on the Calder Park Thunderdome. The car spun along the fence, disintegrating as it went.... The impact deflected the fence back far enough for the car to hit a tree behind the fence. The car continued along the fence, impacting a concrete light pole on the outside of the catch fence, although protected by a concrete barrier at track level. Krosnoff was killed instantly upon impact with the light pole, the front of the car shearing off and exposing his legs as the car disintegrated. The engine and transmission continued on past the incident and landed on another competitor, Emerson Fittipaldi, who escaped injury. Several spectators were hit with flying debris and a track corner worker, Gary Avrin, was killed. While a little unclear, the photo above, figure 42, shows Krosnoff's car at the moment of impact with the light pole. It also shows the length of straight over which the cars were able to reach such high speeds. The concrete barrier protecting the light pole and the corner workers can be seen in front of the catch fence. The race was halted due to the accident being so severe and close to the designated race end.

The CART safety team was on site quickly but could do little to revive Krosnoff who had suffered massive head, chest and skeletal injuries in the impact. He was pronounced dead on arrival to hospital.

I'd never heard of this accident, probably because I don't really follow CART races that much.  I figured I'd pass along the info I found about it.  This quote is part of an interesting case study posted up at http://www.benchapman.com/project/krosnoff.html.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
Sheckter / Brack Crash
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2003, 09:37:43 AM »
Here's another bad one:  Stan Fox.
He survived this without a scratch, but he had an "acceleration injury" to the brain which he never fully recovered from.  He insisted on driving road cars, and nearly crashed my friend's trailers.  Eventually he died in an auto wreck in New Zealand.  RIP.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Sheckter / Brack Crash
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2003, 12:38:22 PM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX
Greg Moore's was pretty horrific as well.

I found a site showing clips of it in a looped segment.  Its pretty horrific.  The car skids and flips then lands top-first into the concrete wall and disintegrates.

Here's a menu of some of the worst crashes on film.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~idema/welkom.htm

The 1955 LeMans crash is still regarded as the worst motorsports accident ever recorded in terms of loss of life and injury, and was so severe that Mercedes ceased racing for many years afterwards.  There is also a link there showing the Mercedes SLK crash a few years ago, also at LeMans.

The Krosnoff crash is listed as "CART Streetrace" in the Crashes section.

Have a look at the "Indycar crash" segment.  That must've been one scared cameraman!

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Sheckter / Brack Crash
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2003, 12:46:24 PM »
Nice webiste GoFaster, thanks bud!