Author Topic: Spies  (Read 1440 times)

Offline twitchy

• Nickel Member
Spies
« on: October 13, 2003, 11:30:13 AM »
We have got to do something about the freaking spies in the MA man, last night we had a guy giving out the location of our troops on local channel, when we asked him who he was talking to he realized he had slipped up and used the wrong channel and logged, while enemy fighters raced in on our NOE mission. It is FAR too easy to spy, and the private messaging and multiple account is the culprit. You should not be able to private message players on another country in the MA. While yes spies are a part of 'real world' war, in real world war, there are consquences for spying, but in this game they get away with it and more often than you might think. :mad:
Founder & CO
Pigs on the Wing
Oinking Bases since 2000 AD

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
Spies
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2003, 11:38:27 AM »
If someone wants to spy by parachuting onto a hill overlooking an enemy field and send back reports, that's fine.  He can be discovered and killed.

But someone who changes sides cannot be discovered unless he slips-up, like this fellow did.  And they can never be stopped by using weapons.  

People who do this wreck the game, but think they are being very clever.

twitchy, do you remember his callsign?  It would be good to publish it so that others can be forewarned, and maybe he'll be shamed by it.

MRPLUTO VMF-323 ~Death Rattlers~ MAG-33

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
Spies
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2003, 11:48:41 AM »
Even though it's lame, it doesn't bother me all that much.  

Someone that creates an account just to spy obviously misses the point of the game.

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
Spies
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2003, 01:35:10 PM »
I think possible improvement would be to eliminate under-dar dots, both friendly & enemy. This would make a countryman less likely/unable to report NOE attacks to others.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
Spies
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2003, 03:05:02 PM »
Does anyone know what radar type is modeled in AH.  Like range capabilities,ect...

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
More to the point...
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2003, 03:23:28 PM »
We need to "control" the guys who use the spy's information.  That is just as bad as actually doing the spying, in my opinion.

shubie

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Spies
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2003, 03:24:20 PM »
Spies were part of WWII.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Spies
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2003, 03:25:47 PM »
Hmmm....probably just me but I think your taking this a bit seriously. After all, ITS A GAME...a poorly designed one (strategically) at that. Do you really care if someone "spies" on you. The original concept of the game was/is to simulate aerial combat between fighters from the WW2 era. The bases etc provide a framework to enable this. Unforunately a great majority of the playerbase has devolved to a semi-skilled gangbanging landgrabbing mass better suited to quake or some other mindnumbing and senseless pursuit. It's the confrontation, not the conquest that provides the value to the entire undertaking.

Again just my 2 cents....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
Somehow, somebody ALWAYS
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2003, 03:45:07 PM »
makes every thread a commentary about the strat vs. furball issue.

Off topic, humble.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Spies
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2003, 03:55:52 PM »
Some people with two accounts aren't very smart with their spy alias, and therefore very easy to spot. Like AKAK and AKAK1 for example. :D

...-Gixer
~Hells Angels~

Offline acepilot2

• Silver Member
Spies
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2003, 04:04:23 PM »
Spies were part of WWII.

Spies were a part of WWII.  However, this is not war, this is a game, with rules, and ways to play fair.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Spies
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2003, 04:19:14 PM »
Spies are cool.  They get all the hot chicks.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Spies
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2003, 04:20:48 PM »
Originally posted by humble
It's the confrontation, not the conquest that provides the value to the entire undertaking.  

what part of this is so hard to grasp?  i think it'd be more satisfying to put together a well organized and tasked mission and boldly dare anyone to stop you (and actually pull it off), than taking 20 guys and trying to "sneak" something in a sector that has zero action ongoing.

besides bases flash when planes approach regardless of radar, and most maps there are very few "holes" in dar coverage for a mission to run thru and all it takes is just one, just one, goober drifting above radar alt to  trigger a dar bar and hence alert some sharp-eyed map monitor.

given even a 5 min window of response, a defender can grab to 10-15k agl and there's no way in hell any goon in the NOE raid is gonna get past that defender (if he has a clue).
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Spies
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2003, 04:21:44 PM »
Originally posted by acepilot2
However, this is not war, this is a game, with rules, and ways to play fair.

really?!?!?  please post them for all to see... or at least a link to them or something.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Re: Somehow, somebody ALWAYS
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2003, 06:08:53 PM »
Originally posted by rshubert
makes every thread a commentary about the strat vs. furball issue.

Off topic, humble.

It's not OFF TOPIC at all....nor is it a "stratagy vs furball" question...It's really a "why bother" question...and from the signature on your post it's pretty clear responding to you probably isn't worth the time anyway.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson