Author Topic: Drex... Thunder...  (Read 772 times)

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Drex... Thunder...
« on: August 17, 2001, 09:09:00 AM »
Autumn is on it's way and it'll soon be time to fish for those running Browns !!!

Drop me a line at   ntucker@sopris.net
when you wanna' come fly-fishing.

Dry flies at dusk: the order of the day !!!

[ 08-17-2001: Message edited by: Wlfgng ]

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
Drex... Thunder...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2001, 05:01:00 PM »
punt

Offline Drex

• Nickel Member
Drex... Thunder...
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2001, 10:10:00 PM »
Ah the Roaring Fork and the Frying Pan, home away from home.  I'm jealous.  Thunder get the rigs ready!

Drex

Offline Thunder

• Nickel Member
      • Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group
Drex... Thunder...
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2001, 12:28:00 PM »
Hi guys!

This sounds like a plan! Wlfgng you mentioned Dry flies at dusk.. (size, pattern & color?) I usually try and match the hatch and come with nymphs, emergers to Drys. Do they have a good flyshop that you can get some pretied stuff or do you tie your own?

I had a river close to where I used to live years back and I had done a hatch study for entire years. I remember fond times in the middle of winter catching trout on the surface with a midge pattern on a #24. You had to be gentle and you really had to work um. I have a freind that lives by that river and he ties flies too. He used to be a contributing outdoors flyfishing writer to the local paper in longmont and other papers in Colorado. He now does national articles in Field and Stream etc. I have so many fond memories of that country back there. It sure has changed a lot in the last 30 years. I left 15 years ago and go been back several times each year. I think the guys in Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Washington & Alaska  have probably seen similar population increases. I remember back in the 60's when flyfishing wasn't as popular. I would go up in the back country for days and rarely see another flyfisherman. I would catch a meal and cook it and release the rest. Damn those were good times!  :)

But now I have discovered Aces High.. hehe  and still being a sportman I release a lot here too! LOL Gosh.. do you think anybody is going to buy that line?

Great to hear from you,

Thunder
Aces High DickweedHBG: www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
Drex... Thunder...
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2001, 08:27:00 PM »
Interesting stuff, guys.  My experience in fishing has been saltwater, so hearing about freshwater river experience is cool  :)
ingame: Raz

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
Drex... Thunder...
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2001, 09:33:00 PM »
Thunder..
lately it's been Green Drakes, Yellow Sallies and small parachute Caddis w/green bodies.

I tie my own nymphs but usually buy the dries since I'm not that good at the dries yet.  Taylor Creek fly shop in Basalt is about the best source of flies and info.

We definately have the population increases that others have seen, that's why I generally stay away from the Pan until winter.  I have a few spots I go to on the Fork that are very close by, have great stores of fish in them, and best of all.. I have seen maybe 2 anglers anywhere near there all year.

Offline Red Ant

• Copper Member
Drex... Thunder...
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2001, 12:15:00 AM »
drex is a weenie  ;)

Offline Drex

• Nickel Member
Drex... Thunder...
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2001, 08:29:00 AM »
Heya Ant.  Your a putz

Drex

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
Drex... Thunder...
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2001, 12:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Ant:
drex is a weenie   ;)

Hiya, Red Ant!  How's your baby daughter?  Did you ever get that email I sent you?
ingame: Raz

Offline jcy19

• Zinc Member
Drex... Thunder...
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2001, 04:50:00 PM »
sounds like you guys are going to have fun. ive resently bought a fly rig
with 2 reels and a rod. some good assortment of wets and dry flys.
any help yall could give would be apretiated
as i am a beginer. live in south texas and
plan on doing some saltwater flat fishing when
i get better at casting. right now im going to start trout fishing on a river near my home.
i have caught rainbows up to 21" in it with ultralight gear. now i want to do it with fly gear. thx alot

JCy19   :p