Author Topic: IL-2 opposeing view.  (Read 131 times)

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
IL-2 opposeing view.
« on: May 20, 2001, 10:09:00 AM »
 Rather then post a negative in the other thread, I thought I would start my own.

The greatest weakness of any online, combat sim is lag. It is the one inescapable flaw in online gaming.  Anyone who has ever thought they had ducked an HO, only to hear hits slamming into there plane seconds after the con has passed, knows this.

This weakness is exaggerated by any object that can shoot forwards, and backwards.  Anything shooting at your nose, as you approach, is by definition an HO. IMHO the time spent "building" a plane that shoots backwards would have been better spent building a more conventional ping test.

Offline Thirdup

• Zinc Member
IL-2 opposeing view.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2001, 10:38:00 AM »

Anything shooting at your nose, as you approach, is by definition an HO

Interesting way of looking at it.  But I don't think "HO" can be defined with defensive fire (gunner/ground defense/etc).

------------------
3rdUp

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
IL-2 opposeing view.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2001, 10:56:00 AM »
  Offence, defense, have no meaning in the context that I am referring to. It is not the object that is moving towards you (tank, bomber, plane). It is the ammo. It is this "ammo" that is greatly effected by the quality of your connection.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
IL-2 opposeing view.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2001, 12:52:00 PM »

Originally posted by easymo:
Anyone who has ever thought they had ducked an HO, only to hear hits slamming into there plane seconds after the con has passed, knows this.

I've ducked lots of HOs but I've never had this happen.

There is nothing HTC can do about internet lag and I don't think that they should use lag as a reason to never add anything thet would be good at HOs (its not like they haven't already).

I don't think that the Il-2M is going to cause the problem you seem to be concerned with.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Bring the Mosquito FB.MkVI Series 2 to Aces High!!!

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-