Author Topic: Pearl Harbor Terrain Available  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Jose Gallegos

• Zinc Member
Pearl Harbor Terrain Available
« on: October 17, 2003, 08:01:19 AM »
For anyone interested I have a Pearl Harbor terrain available.  This terrain is strictly for target practice (isn’t that essentially what the IJN did on that day) and not made with strategic objects or anything like that in mind.  It has battleship row and all the airfields that were involved on that day.  Send me an E-mail and I’ll send the terrain and the Terrain bitmap for use with the Weather Editor in ZIP format.

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 02:59:33 PM »
Hi Goose,
I'd like to check out what you've done... there has been talk about getting a Pearl Harbor terrain for the CT.

Would you mind sending it to the address in my signature?
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 08:03:50 PM »
I have one done already, I sent it to someone in the CT ( can't remember who) but it is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NUTTZ

Originally posted by Dux
Hi Goose,
I'd like to check out what you've done... there has been talk about getting a Pearl Harbor terrain for the CT.

Would you mind sending it to the address in my signature?

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2003, 11:07:16 AM »
Hey, Goose, that's a nice map. Thanks for sending it.

Roger that, Nuttz, I seem to remember hearing something about that, but I never saw it. I'm sure it's of typical Nuttz-quality, which to say is excellent.

The CMs are talking about getting a webpage set up someday soon that will be a repository for all kinds of things like terrains, skins, etc., that will be submitted by the Terrain Team and also players. Even half-completed terrains would be a great resource.

So I've always got my eyes open for a good terrain... if you have any you'd like to share, please send them to me.

:)
Rogue Squadron, CO

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline daddog

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 05:28:37 PM »
I had asked NUTTZ to make one for me so I could use it in Squad Operations.
If you finished it NUTTZ shoot it to Dux so we can use it! :) I will write up an event for it asap. :)
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline 68falcon

• Platinum Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2003, 09:24:06 PM »

Can I get a copy of the Pearl Harbor map
        ybej@optonline.net
Commanding Officer
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the Reaper no more. Fear the Lancers

Offline 327thBS

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2003, 05:46:41 PM »
can i c the pearl habor map to plz :-) ...

send it here: darksamuria1988@yahoo.com

Offline EsmeNhaMaire

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2003, 02:14:48 PM »
I like teh idea of a website for terrains to be made publicly available.

I'd love to be able to fiddle with semi-completed terrains, in particular ones covering Britain, France and the Netherlands Belgium and Luxembourg - bits of Germany and Scandinavia, too, if possible, at 1:1.  I lack the time at the moment to do the necessary to create terrains from scratch, but would like to have a terrain that could be used in H2H for more realistic navigation training excercises.  Which means plenty of clouds, for one thing, and at least a few major road and railway lines, for visual purposes; well-camouflaged airfields in Britain, and sea that looks like the sea does in the area, instead of that weird bright blue that may look at home in Florida and the Pacific, but seldom does here!  

By the by, if any of the creators of such terrains (the current "France", the old large BoB scenario terrain..) would mind me having access to modifiable versions of their terrains, it'd be much appreciated. It's not that I don;t like those terrains - I do! - but obviously priorities are likely to be a bit different when creating for normla arena use than for the kind of thing I have in mind.

Esme

Offline 68KO

• Gold Member
      • http://www.68thlightninglancers.com
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2003, 02:54:12 PM »
Can I have a copy to please.
send it to
bundy28@comcast.net

thanks
~Sue~ Mrs68KO!
My hubby (68KO) founded The 68th Lightning Lancers. :)

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003, 04:01:58 PM »
lol Esme... some of those look like someone spilled an ocean's worth of Reflex Blue ink... I've never seen water quite that color. :)

I'm planning on making a series of unfinished terrains... just the bare landscape; real-life elevations, appropriate texture tiles, just enough strat so the map works, and all targeted to a 1:1 scale. I'll be starting with UK/France and possibly PTO, and eventually (a year or so?) there should be every major front covered.

I doubt that the makers of finished maps are very keen to let people mess around with their creations... but you can always ask them... so maybe my collection of "blanks" may have to be enough.
Rogue Squadron, CO

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2003, 05:48:17 PM »
If you're wanting a 1:1 scale map of the english channel, you'll get about this much in the 512x512 maps

Offline EsmeNhaMaire

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2003, 05:53:22 PM »
Well, there's a thing that I don;t understand - why people would be reluctant to let others alter terrains they have created. The more terrains the more choice, the more we all benefit, surely?

To be honest, I'm not concerned whether the normal AH strat works, because I'm not convinced that the mechanism behind it is all that good.  Certainly the notion of supply convoys every x minutes irrespective of distance between points (and so trains or barges zipping along at hundreds of miles an hour, potentially) is just a bit daft, IMO. Well, outside of the MA, and its organised games that ring my bell, rather than the MA.  And besides, in a scenario game, it'd be great if all supplies are hauled by players... :-}

I'm more concerned with the LOOK of the terrains... in southern England, I'd like to see that really loooong stretch of straight railway through Kent and Sussex, because it's a man-made landmark. Similarly, the Great Northern Road (as was; the A1) running north out of London.  And clouds. Lots of clouds.... :-) Serious possibility of cloud obscuring the target area or important waypoints, so that bomber crews have to learn to navigate properly... :-)  (ponders whether fog might be simulated by very low clouds...)

Y'know, one of the things that startled me when I bought a second hand copy of MS FS2002 was that by comparison with AH, the terrain looks awful. Given the nature of the product, I'd've expected FS2002 terrain to look better straight out of the box.  Granted, there are plenty of add-ons for FS that can look pretty amazing, but damned well done to all the terrain builders who've given us such nice terrain to fly around... - whether quite to my taste or not, the AH terrains are still amazingly good, IMO.

Esme

Btw, its possibel to get reprint Ordnance Survey maps of England from 1939 (but only in b&w, unfortunately). I have a couple of those that cover Southern England, if thats of interest. If anyone knows where I can get similar for Germany, France and the Benelux countries, please post details here.

Thanks!

Esme

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2003, 06:05:28 PM »
Originally posted by EsmeNhaMaire
(ponders whether fog might be simulated by very low clouds...)

It is

Offline EsmeNhaMaire

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2003, 06:08:24 PM »
Uh, Ben - no, I dont want the English Channel; I want as much of Britain as possible plus adjacent bits of the Continent.   My main interest is the Luftwaffe bombing camapaign against the UK, which, as well as the daylight raids in the Battle of Britain, mostly coming across the Channel, also included raids on northern England and Scotland, and night-time raids all over the British Isles.

Its my understanding that AH terrains can be up to 512 miles across; that'd be 20.5 grid squares in each direction, no?  Just the English Channel isnt any good for my purposes, I'm afraid.

Actually, whilst my preference is for 1:1 terrains, I'd be pretty happy with a half-size terrain, although nothing shrunk any more than that.  Should be able to get Denmark to Eire, and (at a guess) Bergn in Norway down to Tours in France that way, I think...  -plenty of opportunities for poor harassed trainee navigators to get lost in cloud over, eh? :-)

Esme

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2003, 07:18:04 PM »
Hmmm... Bendover; that sliver of the English Channel measures about 220 miles east-to west, according to my atlas.

So there's one or two possible problems going on here... maybe it's a metric system miscalculation. But my guess is that you're using a bitmap-based image to generate your elevation data, and that you're measuring 512 pixels across to get your scale.
REMEMBER: while the tile resolution is 1-mile, the elevation resolution is one-half-mile. so your elevation bitmap needs to be 1024 pixels across in order to get a 512-mile distance.

There is a Ruhr terrain in the works (you may have seen the forum open up just today) and it is a 1:1 terrain that includes half of England and reaches down to Innsbruck. You can cover quite a lot of area with a 512 map.

Esme; I didn't say they definitely wouldn't share, only that they may not. It's kind of an artist thing, I guess. But I am not speaking for them, and it certainly would not hurt to ask. :)

I'm a R/L pilot, so the LOOK of a terrain is very important to me also... from down on the ground to way up high. It is my dream to someday have (in AH) chalk cliffs at Dover.

When AH2 comes out, we will be able to make actual fog, using the Arena settings... it won't have to be built into the terrain. We will soon be looking at scenarios that we never thought would be possible.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 07:23:20 PM by Dux »
Rogue Squadron, CO