Author Topic: Video Issues  (Read 133 times)

wulf_pilot

Video Issues
« on: October 29, 2000, 01:29:00 PM »
I am actually running below the requirements
P200
64Mb. Ram
Voodoo3 3000
The games actually doesnt run half that bad except when im facing an airfield and then the framerates take a kick in the nuts.  
I was wondering about the video setup box.  IM fairly new to video card lingo so i have a few questions
I noticed that i get slightly better framerates in 1024x768 mode.
also what is a z-buffer and should i have it on
also what is triple buffering and should i disable it.
I also noticed that when i run my game in the higher rez's it locks up after a minute or two.  Any help will be appreciated.   thanks

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Video Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2000, 02:44:00 PM »
Looks like your hardware is a bit 'over the hill'. Maybe time to upgrade.
In the very least id upgrade the video card to something like a TNT-2 Ultra and try overclocking your CPU. THat should help, but is a short term fix at best.
Fail that, make sure no other programs are running while AH is running - this includes all the little icons in system tray. Use 16 bit color, turn ground clutter off (cntr-c) and try playing with the distance objects settings (shift-f1 - shift-f3) i think...
And stay away from smokey airfields.

Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
Video Issues
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2000, 02:45:00 PM »
I had a severe locking up problem and quite by accident found out that I had the game running in 32bit but my vid color was set to 16 bit. Setting the game video to 16 bit completely cured my locking up problem.

wulf_pilot

Video Issues
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2000, 04:02:00 PM »
Yes thats all fine but what is Z-buffer and should i have it selected
also what is triple buffering and should i check that off

Offline Sharky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.31stfightergroup.com
Video Issues
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2000, 09:12:00 PM »
Wulf,

The Z buffer is for those 3D video glasses, so just leave it off.  Can't remember what the disable triple buffering is for, try it enabled and disabled and see what the effects are.  Seems I messed with triple buffering awhile back and couldn't notice a differance.

Sharky

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Video Issues
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2000, 11:20:00 PM »
Just a comment......before anyone decides to put big bucks into a new video card, such as a GeForce2 GTS etc.  Don'w waste your money unless your processor is at least 500mhz.  Anything less then 500mhz and your new video card will be sitting there tapping it's foot waiting for the processor.  In otherwords your new video card will be processor bound, and the performance of the card will not be as fast as it should.
- The Flying Circus -