Author Topic: Skuzzy, 1.991 Frame Rate Tests Results?  (Read 903 times)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Skuzzy, 1.991 Frame Rate Tests Results?
« on: October 27, 2003, 08:32:47 PM »
Two questions:

1) Have we provided enough frame rate input or do we need to start hounding our squadmates to participate?  Looks like new test postings have dropped off.

2) I thought some of the results were surprising but I’m completely ignorant about video cards.  Is it meaningful to ask why some less powerful systems preformed better in this test?

For instance, my P3/800 with 32 Meg Gforce 2 GTS produced better results than many P4 systems with much newer (and more expensive) video cards.  My setup isn’t fast enough to run smoothly even in AH1 and suffers from 1-3 second… stutters/screen freezes/hangs in heavy furballs or concentrated buff situations.

From raw test results I’d be inclined to think I only need upgrade to a faster P3 processor but that must be an over simplification, right?
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
Re: Skuzzy, 1.991 Frame Rate Tests Results?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 10:42:39 PM »
Easyscor said:
I thought some of the results were surprising but I’m completely ignorant about video cards.  Is it meaningful to ask why some less powerful systems preformed better in this test?

Yeah, this annoys me as well, because I lost 10 FPS by doubling my system RAM and swapping a 64MB GeForce3 for a 128MB Radeon 9600 Pro :rolleyes:  Always before for me, when I've gotten a new vidcard and more RAM, I've gotten better FPS.  It's very strange the opposite happened this time.

Oh well, everything else I have, including AH1, runs faster now with the new configuration.  I just hope this is all a case of HTC doing their optimization stuff 1 card at a time.  IOW, hopefully beta #2 was for Nvidias and beta #3 will be for ATIs.  Otherwise, I imagine lotsa folks will be rather angry.  Looks like most folks who've upgraded lately have gotten an ATI card because that's the consensus favorite at present.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 01:16:44 AM »
I’m not annoyed.  I’m simply surprised by the results.
I’ve put off upgrading my system until AH2 comes out and I could see what combination produced the best results.  At the moment, I’m inclined to put my Gforce 2 card in a new P4 system and save a couple hundred dollars.  I’ve been told my particular card is better than many of the newer cards that followed it and judging from the test results, I believe it.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Skuzzy, 1.991 Frame Rate Tests Results?
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 10:57:55 AM »
Originally posted by Bullethead
Easyscor said:

Yeah, this annoys me as well, because I lost 10 FPS by doubling my system RAM
LOL, going from 128mb memory to 256mb isn't doing a whole lot. :D
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 02:26:16 PM »
Bullethead, don't make any choice base on the early betas. Ive notice also that the ATI's are running slow, and have not begun to try find out why. It could be somthing realy simple like fog mode or somthing more complex like laying out vertex buffers.

As to needing more FPS results, we have enof now showing where we are at.

HiTech

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 11:25:35 PM »
hitech said:
Bullethead, don't make any choice base on the early betas. Ive notice also that the ATI's are running slow, and have not begun to try find out why. It could be somthing realy simple like fog mode or somthing more complex like laying out vertex buffers.

I'm sure you'll fix the problem with ATI cards in due time.  It's early days yet.  I'm annoyed, not at you, but that my traditional remedy for low FPS didn't work on AH2, and I bought it specifically for AH2.  Performance of everything else has improved as a result, which is good, but I already had enough there--it was only AH2 that needed help.  But I suppose this experience is useful to you in solving the problem :)

OH, and NHawk, I went from 256 to 512 RAM :)  The 64 to 128 was the memory on the vidcard.

Offline Stegahorse

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 08:36:45 AM »
ATI cards seem to work best in 32 bit mode.  They even say so on their info site. Seems like they trying to do the best end not the cheep end. ME and XP work best in 32 bit anyway.
I thought I was important until I got Cancer and had to go to a cancer clinic.