Author Topic: April 18, 1942  (Read 680 times)

Offline MajorDay

• Copper Member
April 18, 1942
« on: October 27, 2003, 09:04:50 PM »
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo

I know this gonna sound stupid, but let me explain about this and I hope I get this right lol.  :D

Since after Japanese attack Pearl Harbor in December 7, 1941, United State want to attack Japan homeland after Japanese attack Pearl Harbor and so they couldnt find the plan how they going attack on Japan homeland.  So, The sub commander got idea but it risky and it bold.  The plan is use B-25B "Mitchell" medium bomber to take off from the carrier and head to attack Japan homeland.  Half the crew make it to china, but some of them were killed or excuted by the Japanese.  So, I wonder If this will work on SEA or CAP?  

USA:

A20G(B-25B)

JAPAN:

Zero and Zeke

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
April 18, 1942
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 12:38:58 AM »
It's the sort of thing that may work as a Snapshot; but the point of the mission was that it was a surprise attack. How do you want to recreate the surprise?

Pearl harbour has the same problem.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
April 18, 1942
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 01:19:33 AM »
I guess in one you email the American players the start time 5 minutes before it starts and the other you email the Japanese players the start time five minutes before it starts. ;)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
April 18, 1942
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 01:48:25 AM »
You need a B-25 for this to work.  Both the A-20 without a level bombsight and the Boston with its' level bombsight can out run the A6m2 and A6m5.  With the slower, better armed B-25, this might be a nice setup and I hope we get to try it sometime.  The interceptors can be scrambled as they approach the target just as they are in many of the existing Snapshots so that shouldn't be a problem.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Rompa

• Nickel Member
April 18, 1942
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 01:57:13 PM »
"The Doolittle-Raid"

There acually has been a snapshot about this, but it was a long time ago (I think daddog hosted ?) and by then we used the B-26 as a sub for the B-25.
And the biggest challenge was to lift the B-26 off the CV.
People trained to get the B-26 off the CV weeks before...
And for the supprice effect I cant remember how it was handled, but we can always use multiple target opptions for the bombers.

Offline MajorDay

• Copper Member
April 18, 1942
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 02:09:24 PM »
Well, I use Midway map(which i download from AH in download center) and I found the Carrier with it was bigger and wide than small carrier.  Before I took off with A-20, I took 4 X 500 bomb and 75% fuel, then full flaps down and I took off easy as i thought.

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
April 18, 1942
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 02:50:32 PM »
Bomber rolling from CV

You can setup wind of 10-20 knots and put your CV such the wind will be in its nose and..... No problem to roll for any aircraft - even 262

Maybe you can use B-26s for this purpose even it is faster.

Intereption by IJAF

Yes B-26 is fast so you can choose a time for IJAF to roll - 20 miles before target - find good dist so they will be able to grab some alt and it will not be too easy to intersept bombers.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline MajorDay

• Copper Member
April 18, 1942
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2003, 09:22:54 PM »
Originally posted by artik
Bomber rolling from CV

You can setup wind of 10-20 knots and put your CV such the wind will be in its nose and..... No problem to roll for any aircraft - even 262

Maybe you can use B-26s for this purpose even it is faster.

Intereption by IJAF

Yes B-26 is fast so you can choose a time for IJAF to roll - 20 miles before target - find good dist so they will be able to grab some alt and it will not be too easy to intersept bombers.
I have to agree with you because, you got all information right about Winds and dont need A-20 just one B-26 bomber.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
April 18, 1942
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2003, 07:48:16 PM »
It would work as a Snapshot. B-26s with no formations off CV with wind for help, maybe the Okinawa or Kuriles map? Midway map I would pass on, you want a large land mass. Ki-61s defending, A6M2 is too slow. No radar, give the USAAF 2 targets say.

"Ploesti" was done, and it too was a "surprise raid", you just have to design it right.

Have a look at the Okinawa map, it has all the right terrain, and CVs too.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline 68KO

• Gold Member
      • http://www.68thlightninglancers.com
Sounds Great
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2003, 08:12:07 AM »
I love it , If you are going to do it it must be the B26 it is closer to its sister the B25 witch I wish the game had and use no formations .It will make for a great under radar attack . I love the idea! 1 more thing the japs never knew they where coming .:aok
It's the sort of thing that may work as a Snapshot; but the point of the mission was that it was a surprise attack. How do you want to recreate the surprise?
maybe the japs can not up until the bases flash? so they do not know where the US is going to hit or when they pop for tarrget? Maybe I don't know if it can be done ? Change the distance the bases flash? To give japs better time to intercept.:cool:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 08:37:35 AM by 68KO »
~Sue~ Mrs68KO!
My hubby (68KO) founded The 68th Lightning Lancers. :)

Offline 68KO

• Gold Member
      • http://www.68thlightninglancers.com
April 18, 1942
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2003, 09:32:22 AM »
Apr. 18 - Doolittle Raid
16 bombers B25 from Marc Mitscher's USS Hornet - 666 miles to Tokyo
FDR Apr. 21 press conference called it "Shangri-la"
idea came from planners on Adm. King's staff
Hornet commissioned Oct. Ô41
to refuel at Chinese airfields then 800 mi to Chungking
but Chiang not told
Mar. 31 left San Francisco - refueld 1000 miles from Japan
Hornet was sighted by fishing picket boats - planes took off early
Halsey's TF sunk 3 patrol ships
sub Thresher sunk freighter off Yokohama harbor
sub Trout hit 3 ships
Doolittle 1st to takeoff - 460' deck - 80 fliers (71 survived)
5 ended up in Russia
8 captured by Japan - 3 shot - 1 died in prison
250,000 Chinese killed in 3-month campaign - airfields destroyed
book 30 Seconds over Tokyo by Ted Lawson
shocked Japan - approval given to Yamamoto's Midway plan
Doolittle's raiders were true heroes of the early war, as were the men and women of Corregidor, not manufactured heroes like Collin Kelly, Jr. - article
press reaction to Doolittle mission enflamed racism
~Sue~ Mrs68KO!
My hubby (68KO) founded The 68th Lightning Lancers. :)