Author Topic: Dont let flies lay eggs in your ears!  (Read 567 times)

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Dont let flies lay eggs in your ears!
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2004, 02:54:50 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Maggots are commonly used in hospitals to clean wounds as they are more efficiant at cleaning wounds and will only eat the dead flesh.

Larger question is what the hell was wrong with this guy to begin with?

well, I know maggots clean wounds and only eat dead flesh...but WHAT HOSPITALS COMMONLY USE THEM???  LOL!

Please give me the list so that I can be sure to avoid those hospitals.

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2004, 11:29:36 AM »
They aren’t commonly used, but instead are usually used for chronic, nonhealing wounds that are infected despite more conventional treatment. You can’t use just any maggot, it has to be specific species (usually blowfly larvae) and they are sterilized with radiation first (so don't try this at home kids).  The larvae secrete enzymes that liquefy dead tissue and kill bacteria. This provides a painless way to debride tissue instead of using surgery.

The medical use of maggots became widespread in World War I. Wounded soldiers would get trapped in no-man’s land between the trenches and it would take several days before the lines could be advanced so that the injured man could be retrieved. The military doctors noticed the patients that had maggots in their wounds were still alive while others had usually died of infection.

By the way, medical use of leeches are also making a comeback, mostly in skin grafts and surgical re-attachment of limbs. This year the FDA approved both leeches and maggots.
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2004, 12:36:47 PM »
More disturbing than the images are your posts.:(  The inmates are running the assylum.:lol

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2004, 12:41:34 PM »
Although the explanations quoted above are erroneous, these images are in fact real and undoctored, and they are indeed photographs taken of a patient whose brain surface was exposed and crawling with insects. The pictures date from October 2002, and they are photographs of a man in his 70s who was suffering from an unusual form of cancer which had eaten away at the upper portion of his skull and scalp but who had not sought any medical treatment because the condition was not causing him pain. The man was brought to the trauma center at Stanford University Hospital (where the photographs shown here were taken) by San Mateo County paramedics who had been summoned to the scene after the man was involved in a minor automobile accident and who found him in his car in the condition pictured.

I figured it looked too lumpy to be a brain.  That's one heckuva tumor.