Author Topic: CV capatapult (backwards)  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
CV capatapult (backwards)
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2004, 07:06:07 PM »
Whether or not this behavior is a bug is not important. Why? Because it is simply inaccurate, regardless.

Having logged 332 traps as a member of an aircrew, I can tell you with absolute certainty that whether you trap a one-wire or a four-wire, you will still come to a stop without undue drama.

The backwards "catapult" off the round-down is rediculous, and should be corrected.

If the goal was to simulate an off-center trap, or a off-angle trap, the way you do that is to model the result.

Since we are dicussing the odd behaviors on a carrier deck, HTC should model on-deck handling better. It's not an ice rink, aircraft moving on deck will not slip-slide around when the ship turns. Tires still generate friction.... In fact, the most common thing noticed was weather-vaning into the changing apparent wind, and even that was easily controlled. Has anyone ever noticed that on real CVs, no catapults are directly along the center axis of the vessel?

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2004, 07:18:29 PM »
A short ah2 cv landing film: Here >> Right click to save.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2004, 07:32:27 PM »
I agree Wide definately a stupid bug, all I am sharing is the work around.
Having logged 332 traps as a member of an aircrew,
Nice PIC or REO?

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2004, 12:27:10 AM »
Originally posted by mars01
I agree Wide definately a stupid bug, all I am sharing is the work around. Nice PIC or REO?

Crew Chief/Flight Engineer. Mostly flying Grumman C-1A and US-2B, with a few in C-2s.

Was assigned to last amphibian (HU-16 Albatross) on active duty with Navy. Flew last operational flight too. Also qualified as Flight Engineer on C-118 and C-131. Logged about 200 hours in right seat (C-1A required only one pilot when hauling cargo) and considerable backseat time in TA-4J Scooters (Skyhawks). Even wangled a few rides in Phantoms.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2004, 04:11:30 AM »
Widewing, I envy you.

Anyway, good write-ups, I think it will make a difference. I could just not figure out how to land on a CV correctly without fail.

Offline Orig

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2004, 04:44:54 AM »
It'll do the same thing on a land runway if you turn up the wind.

With the throttle in full idle, your plane becomes a bit "sticky" on the ground.  If you bump the throttle even a tiny bit above idle, the wind will have it's way with your plane.

It sounds like hogenbor's throttle is miscalibrated and he can't get the throttle all the way to idle to trigger the sticky ground handling.

Another way to see if this is really a bug is to either land without using the cable, or launching from the carrier.  Instead of powering up rapidly, just barely move the throttle up out of idle, taxi around a bit, set it back to idle, then bump it back up to just above idle.  If the plane starts rolling backwards, then it's the ground handling model.  If not, then it's something else.

Another fun thing to do on the ground is to put a plane on the runway facing into the wind with max wind speed set (127).  With the throttle in idle, the plane will just sit there.  If you bump the throttle up above idle, one of two things will happen.  Either the plane will jump into the air (will happen if you apply any back-stick input), or if you're careful not to touch the controls, the plane will rapidly accelerate backwards until it's rolling across the ground just barely below the wind speed.  At this point, you can move the controls without leaping off the ground.

Fun :)

Offline Icer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2004, 08:49:30 AM »
Originally posted by mars01
Yeah thats a good point Rolex.  None the less tho, in AH if you catch the first wire you are going to get thrown off the deck if your not johnny on the spot with the Throttle and unhook.

Wires and Hooks are for wussies....
Win11 Pro 23H2/ Asus Z790-PLUS D4, / i9-13900KF @5.8Gz, 64GB DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce 4090 - 546.33 drivers/ 3 Samsung 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / TIR 5/ TM Warthog HOTAS w/VirPil stick base/ MFG V3 Pedals/ TM MFDs on 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP/ Varjo Aero VR

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2004, 09:43:06 AM »
Explain to me how I can take off with a fully loaded F4U WITHOUT a calibrated throttle... :D

Btw, I also think that good and slow landing without hook is safer (due to the 'catapult' issue') but the CV was turning hard and my fuel was low. I guessed correctly that I could plunk it down but you can imagine my frustration when I was thrown off, especially considering I had my first three FM-2 kills in AH2 under my belt.

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2004, 10:12:27 AM »
Who said programmers had no sense of humor?

HTC switched the arresting wires with bungee ropes!

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2004, 11:19:03 AM »
Who said programmers had no sense of humor?

HTC switched the arresting wires with bungee ropes!
HAHAHA LOLH  Exactly:D

Sounds Like Fun Wide lucky bastig!!!!:D